IRONTON 68 VS Logan 58 - 2/12 - FINAL

TIGERS90
Varsity

Re: IRONTON 68 VS Logan 58 - 2/12 - FINAL

Post by TIGERS90 »

Most schools couldn't handle being independent...I agree...Ironton thrived on it for many years...I feel that it made them tougher..being able to play whomever they wanted...whenever they wanted...and never tried to play lesser competition..always scheduling larger schools...and quality competition...which made Ironton what it is known for....Winning...League or no League..Ironton will be Ironton....Congratulations on the League Championship...pretty good when most people figured them to be 4th or 5th...keep it going tigers...Now it's time to play for bigger and better things...Let's take it to state...

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Good job ironton, a good beatdown on my chiefs! My chiefs might get lucky in in the D1 draw Columbus Briggs at least Logan will be playing at team the same size. By the way Logan is not the smallest DI school in basketball! guys check your facts!

forthekids
Waterboy

Post by forthekids »

moonschein, is that all you do is put down the Logan kids? Such a poor sport, was you doing this during football season as well?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

forthekids wrote:moonschein, is that all you do is put down the Logan kids? Such a poor sport, was you doing this during football season as well?

This was not a put down on the kids! Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. This beatdown happened because of coaching and Ironton has superior talent and an outstanding program! forthekids, tell me why we have outstanding particpation and team until they get to the varisty level!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logangrad wrote:For as much crap as you have talked and put down the program, my guess is nobody feels they are "your chiefs" imo. I think you would be a man without a country in those circles. If you have so many issues with the current staff in place, why not set a meeting and express them with the people you constantly bash and allow them to hear your concerns and let them rebute? I am sure they would be willing to hear what you feel needs fixed as with all the expereince you have had with that stellar 12-4 record.

After the season I plan to write letters to the board of ed to see if our group of concerned supporters can get on the agenda.

There is alot of misinfomation on this and other theads concerning our program, such as Fairfield Union being close to the size of Logan also like the statement someone made that Logan is the smallest D1 school in basketball in Ohio. logangrad, since you are a member of this staff, can you answer this question. Why does Logan have outstanding teams until they reach the varsity level? I think we both can agree Our Chiefs can do better!

dave
Riding the Bench

Post by dave »

Are you kidding me? "Logan is a football school, period." Is that really the excuse your going to use? OMG I just fell out of my chair.
Could you imagine how good Itown would be if they did away with their football team.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Logangrad wrote:Comparing Logan in numbers in Basketball and football is misleading in what you are trying to accomplish because their are 6 divisions in football and only 5 for baskteball so the numbers change dramatically. Logan is D2 in football for the last two cycles and the number to be D1 in basketball is completely different since there is only 5 divisions. You keep saying Logan has D1 talent but we are in fact D2 in football and only D1 in basketball because there are fewer divisions. Logan is a smaller D1 school in basketball and the numbers prove that based on the info from the last count in 2008. Some smaller schools do in fact get bumped to bigger divisions based on the way they fall in basketball with the fewer divisions. We also get shafted with being sent to the Central District in every single sport because we are in fact in the SE District but being the largest school in this area they have no choice, so we play SE Ohio opponents for 90% of our games in all sports and then play bigger schools in all of our tournament games. But here's my deal; just because you have 300 boys, doesnt mean all 300 play sports. Yeah you do have MORE to choose from but that doesnt mean most play sports. You play with what you have and I know that no coach anywhere is going to beg a kid to play sports.
Logan is a FOOTBALL school. Period. It rules the roost. You keep asking why Logan has better success at the lower levels and then "underachieve" at the varsity level and here's my answer: Most kids at the lower levels in junior high and freshman basketball play three sports, at least a majority, and then they dedicate themselves to football when they become sophomores, and their summers are consumed with football and they become football driven. There are NUMEROUS kids that COULD play basketball but dont because of football. They lift in the offseason, and prepare for football in the summer; taking away the number of kids we could get in for basketball. And alot of that has to do with the success Logan has had in football the last 7 or 8 years. We get athletes that play basketball but arent "basketball first" players. Back in the day; kids played basketball first and football second for obvious reasons. They would go to the playground at Central and play 3 nights a week, go to team camps, shooting camps and prepare for basketball and play football in between. Doug Stiverson was a "basketball" player. Kerry York, basketball player. Tim Moore, basketball player. Sam Eggleston, basketball player. Joey and Johnny Conrad were "athletes" flat out who were good players and that team was loaded. Coy Lindsey, basketball player. Chad Stiverson, basketball player. Logan is a football school. We do the best we can with the hand we are dealt but getting kids to "commit" to basketball is very hard with the success the football program has and the limited amount of time in the summer to choose what to prepare for. Baseball has the same struggles with the track team and their success. Ive been a volunteer coach for one season, but I have kids in the system in both football and basketball and they are right now as we speak choosing to prepare for basketball OR football this summer and are going to do one or the other for the long run. I dont get it, Im old school. I think you can commit to both and work hard at both and go balls to the wall. But Logan isnt overrun with "basketball" players and we have to do the best we can with what we get. I mean Logan has 3 players on the varsity team who will play FOOTBALL in college and one who may play soccer! See what I am getting at??? We do have a great staff in place and we have lost some close games but we do have a solid group of kids currently and on the way up who are finally dedicated to the basketball program as they are to football, from what I have heard.
I hope this sheds some light on my opinions and I will stay out of it from now on. If you want to talk, I am open to listen and gladly welcome emails or calls.

There are only 4 divisions in basketball.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

logangrad is right. a good example is my son. if i would ask him what he'd like to do. pass football or shoot hoops? he wants to pass football. since he could walk/run he has ran from our kitchen through the living room into the tv room playing football. during the biddy b-ball season he'll shoot a ball against the wall but, as soon as football draws closer (usually may) he's gearing up for t-hawks(football). thats the way it is around here. shooting hoop on central playground til the lights went out are long gone.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

your right to an extent logangrad there are hardly ever people playing basketball outside during the summer at mingo park or anywere else they can play. but when it comes to saying there 5-13 because there a football school is an excuse. Thats pretty much saying that if logan would miss 4 or 5 key free throws, its because logan's a football school, if they let a open three pt shooter make a three its because there a football school. now there is talent on that basketball team and there is no way they should be 5-13 whatsoever

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

3morethan2 wrote:your right to an extent logangrad there are hardly ever people playing basketball outside during the summer at mingo park or anywere else they can play. but when it comes to saying there 5-13 because there a football school is an excuse. Thats pretty much saying that if logan would miss 4 or 5 key free throws, its because logan's a football school, if they let a open three pt shooter make a three its because there a football school. now there is talent on that basketball team and there is no way they should be 5-13 whatsoever

Good point 3morethan2 being a football school is an excuse, take for exsample Ironton and Chillicothe from the SEOAL can in most cases win in both sports. Logan had no choice where they play there tourney games an another excues. Yes logan has had sucess in football, But Logan has had sucess in football and basketball between 75 to 78 and in most of the ninety's. I have to agree with you logangrad I also think you can commit to both sports also. No matter what anyone else thinks, a losing record over the current coaches tenure is unacceptable! Just think about this if the football coach had a losing record over the past 10 year, Logan would run the coach out of town!

Return to “Boys Basketball”