SVC POY !

Sports 101
Varsity

Re: SVC POY !

Post by Sports 101 »

I would say legg, but i think the ross county coaches will keep it in ross county...

woodsman
Waterboy

Post by woodsman »

It is rather humorous hearing all these discussions. The way my dad brought me up was very simple when it came to sports. You can post all the stats you want and be the best player on a team. But nobody wants to be the player on a losing team. And if you want to know who is better, then let the 2 kids play head to head. Advantage goes to Mr. Legg. I understand that Maxwell is a senior, but why should that matter? If another player is identical in stats, if not better overall, then why should he be overshadowed just because the other boy is older? I believe when people look at it, the choice is simple. Legg has won head to head. His stats match, if not surpass, Maxwell. Let the kids play and let the impact of each player decide who wins. Good luck to both boys.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Bottom Line: Tie breaker is the league champion (DUH)

ZT 11-1 (14-4) Maxwell

Piketon 10-2 (12-6) Legg

If ZT wins league its Maxwell.

If Piketon wins the league its Legg.

If the league is tied its Co-POY.

Pretty simple to me.

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Maxwell will win this award.
Don't get me wrong , I like Legg's game, but all around Maxwell is a little better. And if his team wins the league, there is no doubt that he should win the POY.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

This is my last comment on this thread..You cannot say that if a team wins the league championship, their player wins the award (although 90% of the time it happens). At least twice in the past decade a player has won it not on the league championship team (Kyle Miller didn't win it and Piketon won the league). Heck, Cody Smith was SVC POY last year, and our own league coaches didn't vote for him at the district meeting and he was 2nd team All-District! (DISGRACE)

The POY is a different award....I agree Maxwell is deserving of the award as much as Legg...If you're going to have the POY award, then it needs to be based on the player's performance. Head to Head...Legg outperformed Maxwell in both games they played each other.....

I know why, but I don't understand everyone's thinking that the league championship TEAM must have the POY...This is crazy...Same ol' story each year, though...

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Legg being a junior (he can win it next year) and Maxwell being a senior (it's his turn to win it) should not factor into the equation.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

so what IF legg was a senior then who would you give it to????

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

I just checked out svcsportszone.com:
Since 2000, the Coach of the Year award has been given to the winning team all 10 years. The player of the year has been from the winning team 8/10 times.
They might as well just not vote next weekend and hand the prize over to Alley.
Maxwell has an 80% chance of winning the MVP award, Legg 20%

MVP = Most Valuable Player...to me, this means a player who is MOST VALUABLE to their team. This does not mean the top player on the championship team. Which team suffers more? ZT without Maxwell or Piketon without Legg? I have seen both games between these two in addition to another game for each---sorry, Legg impresses me more.
In my opinion, we should AT LEAST have Co-MVP's this year, but I don't see it happening.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Legg.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Take a step back away from your bias towards your favorite team and rethink it. You may change how you feel towards this.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

imo legg should win it although both are deserving
but i think the coaches will give it to maxwell(because he is a senior.. which shouldnt matter)

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

What do you think danicalifornia, just curious...lol

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

I think they will give it to maxwell because he has earned it. Not because he is a senior.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Both young men have earned it.
And POY doesn't go to the most valuable player on their respective team.
It should be the best player in the league. I agree there should be co-POY, however I don't get a vote.
The coaches will go with Maxwell.
Now COY that should go to the Bear. Uhrigh has done the best job with those kids.
Had Unioto beaten Huntington and rapped up third I would have said Hoops did the best job.

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

Alley deserves coach of the year if they win the league because of his coaching ability without Haynes early on and if some how Piketon wins it there should be Co Coach of the year because of what both coaches went through very similar situations. But in my opinion (which really doesn't matter) Legg should be POY. Like coach Kelly said stats were even and Legg was better head to head. But I'm sure Maxwell will win if Trace wins the league.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

^^^^
Was it Alley's coaching or the ability of Maxwell?
If Alley gets the credit then Legg should be POY.lol

I know what you are saying, once again COY and POY should not necessarily go to the winning team.
It should be who did the best throughout the season. Not who had the best surround cast.

But we know the history of the SVC.

Now before I lose my membership card to the Village Mafia, I think Evan deserves at least co POY and would love for him to win it.

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

agree Co POY

Viva Zapata
Waterboy

Post by Viva Zapata »

Both players are deserving; you couldn't go wrong with either. That being said, my vote would be Maxwell. Those who say he has a better supporting cast are right, but that's just a testament to him still being able to put up the big numbers. Plus, he makes everyone around him better.

BuckeyeGuy38
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeGuy38 »

Scoring:

Scoring: Maxwell (2nd 20.3ppg) Legg (1st 21.3 ppg)
Rebounding: Maxwell (12th 6.3 rpg) Legg (NR)
Free Throws: Maxwell (60-88 68.1%) Legg (89-109 81.7%)
FG: Maxwell (119-242 49.2%) Legg (121-254 47.6)
3pt fg: Maxwell (26) Legg (9)
Assists: Maxwell (4.4) Legg (4.3)
Steals: Maxwell (1.6) Legg (3.9)

Maxwell yes has a better supporting cast as said...and still being able to put up even/bigger numbers than legg gives him the nodd. Also Maxwell can guard postion 1-4 hes a thick boy with great quickness. legg however probably couldnt hang with the big boys down low. With kirks versatility and power/speed and ablitily to lead his team without his sidekick (haynes was absent in all four loses) gives me the notion to give it to him.

also there is an arguement for legg as there is always another side to the story....

Maxwell Poy in the svc.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

If Piketon would've been in full force and beaten ZT in the second game...would we still give the award to Maxwell? or would there be Co-POYs?

That game was pretty close ya know.

Return to “Boys Basketball”