Vinton County-67 Piketon-53

Dundas
SEOPS

Vinton County-67 Piketon-53

Post by Dundas »

I didnt make it to OUC last night...Had to take the wife out for a V-day dinner! Sounds like VC played a heck of a game against a really good Piketon team! Anyone care to share some info on this one?? I would really appreciate it!

Hoggy
SEOP

Re: Vinton County-67 Piketon-53

Post by Hoggy »

Wow.....no comments or chit chat after a game like this!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Im sure Hawkeye will have some good stuff for us at some point today. That is if he can pry himself away from the Daytona 500. lol

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Couldn't make it to the game last night, but talked to some friends that were able to attend. Sounds as though the entire VC squad really stepped up and played a very good game against the Redstreaks.

Although Piketon is a DIII school and this was a non league game, this was a very solid win against first class program. Hope Coach Combs and the kids can use the momentum off this win through the next week and into the tournament.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I'm told Brush was sick and didnt play the second half and Piketon got killed on the boards! Also VC doubled and tripled team Evan Legg and Piketon never got the ball inside; however took the lead mid-way in the third, but VC went on a 9-0 run with 3 consecutive threes. Told Coach L. went to freshmen early in the 4th.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I find that hard to believe...

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:I'm told Brush was sick and didnt play the second half and Piketon got killed on the boards! Also VC doubled and tripled team Evan Legg and Piketon never got the ball inside; however took the lead mid-way in the third, but VC went on a 9-0 run with 3 consecutive threes. Told Coach L. went to freshmen early in the 4th.

jimmy, We just got outplayed and out coached. Vinton wanted it a lot more than we did...don't make excuses for us or post things that are not true. Come to the games so you won't have to go by things you heard!

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

I hear ya Jeff. For some reason people assume things and stir things up. Folks come to the games and see for yourselves, don't come on a forum and dig around for gossip. Pay $5 and watch good basketball here locally. Great game for a young ,talented, and regional title defending Piketon team to be in.
Goodluck Piketon from ZT Pioneer land. Hope the SVC pulls out some big tourney wins.

tropical breeze
Riding the Bench

Post by tropical breeze »

Any comments of the venue? I know OU-C would like to try to have more high school games there. Seems it would be a good experience and would prep teams for tourney action. I think it would be great to have a preseason shoot-out or a holiday shoot-out at OU-C!

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

The venue was excellent. I'd love to see OU-C hosting more high school games, much like the VA does in baseball. Dave Shoemaker and staff did an excellent job with this.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

VC took Piketons strengths away by making Legg get rid of the ball and the rest of the Piketon squad looked discombobulated! VC was patient on the offensive end and crashed the boards hard. Piketon never looked in sync on either end. Congratulations to Vinton.

Yeah tropical breeze Mr. Shoemaker made everyone feel welcome and we hope to be able to return in the future.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

What a great win Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Coach Lisath= class act

Nice win for Vinton County!....should be a similar game to their 1st sectional game and maybe their 2nd as well.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Does anyone know if VC vs. Piketon will continue after this season? This was the second meeting in as many years and im wondering if the contract was 2 years or longer?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Guthrie put on a show on the boards. 26 I believe. That was without a doubt the best showing I have seen in a VC bigman in years. Vinton Shot lights out. Games over move on and start your tourney run.

Second season starts soon.

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

bengalfan76 wrote:Guthrie put on a show on the boards. 26 I believe. That was without a doubt the best showing I have seen in a VC bigman in years. Vinton Shot lights out. Games over move on and start your tourney run.

Second season starts soon.

Thats 2 very good showings for Guthrie in a row. Against Nelsonville he had 22 points and 22 rebounds. 48 rebounds in 2 games is very impressive.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

It was truly a great game. The Redstreaks are a great team and Coach Lisath does a great job.

The Vikings came out early got a couple of easy transition buckets, undaunted the Redstreaks came right back taking the lead. But the Vikings went on the 9-0 run and the Vikings never really looked back. The halftime score was Vikings 30, Redstreaks 24, after a long three by Evan Legg at the buzzer. In my mind, I thought that three by Legg was huge, it gave them momentum going into halftime, and the Vikings squander a chance in the closing seconds of the half to be up by double digits. The Vikings turned the ball over with 5 to 6 seconds left and Legg did what all great players do, made a play, he hit a 27 foot three with a hand in his face, to cut the Vikings' lead to six.

But the story of the night, was Baby Dyl Guthrie. Guthrie pulled down 26 rebounds after pulling down 22 the night before against Nelsonville-York. That is Guthrie's third 20 plus rebounds in a game of the season. And it wasn't because Brush did not play in the second half, Guthrie had 12 boards before halftime. Brush picked up his third foul early in the third and went to the bench and never came back, so that gave the wide-body Guthrie room to get boards. Once Baby Dyl establishes a position you have to take a train to get around him.

The other story was the Vikings' defense was able to make Legg give up the ball early, and they did their best make sure he did not get it back. I believe Legg scored 16, below his average.

The Vikings answered every big basket by the Redstreaks, always keeping them an arm's length away. Although the Redstreaks did take a one point lead in the third, briefly, Steven Thompson and Andy Grillo with back to back threes put the Vikings back in charge at the end of the third 41-37. Uncharacteristically the Vikings managed some clutch free throws down the stretch, that push the lead out to 14. With the two to three minutes left Coach Lisath went to his shooters, some of them played in the JV game, so if that is the Freshmen he went to, they more than handle their own. It was a good win for the Vikings.

The venue was absolutely fantastic, I think Vinton County would love to play more games there. Or possibly, I could see a TVC-SVC Classic, Shootout, Titanic Struggle, whatever you would like to call it, in the future.

starbuck
Waterboy

Post by starbuck »

how did the freshman and jv teams do againt piketon

starbuck
Waterboy

Post by starbuck »

how did the freshman and jv teams do againt piketon

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Vinton County's Frosh won by around 8-10.

VC's JV's pushed their record to 16-0 but I can't remember the score. Piketon was up 9 at halftime, but VC came back and won a close game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”