D-II Official Results

javon white
Freshman Team

Re: D-II Official Results

Post by javon white »

As mentioned by me before, Athens is a fine ballclub that deserves their high seed. I would not want to play this team in the tourney. I have seen virtually all the teams in the Logan sectional play and this team is the most consistent team of them all. They win close games because they believe they can win. I agee with blubomber, this is also the most improved team in the district. Coach Skinner has done a great job with them. He should clearly be Coach of the Year in the District.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

blubomber89 wrote:Mr. Karate Kid, Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that the size of the school has nothing to do with how well the basketball team does. Athens can have a team with no talent at all and it would have nothing to do with the school size. I wish people would stop using that as an excuse. And that's what it is an excuse, you put your best five on the court and see what happens. Either the school has talent or it doesn't no matter the size. Cause the teams Athens has played had the same size individuals or taller and the better team won that night. Just get off the size kick getting real old. They are TVC ohio champs well deserving whether anyone else likes it or not a group of good athletes and a good coach. Same players played last year and played some of the same teams and results were a lot different. Htey played the same teams and schedule while in the SEOAL playing TVC teams and lost. It is player dedication and good coaching that has made the turn around not the size of the school same players that I bet you thought weren't that good last year have just come into there own. So choose a betterreason that the size of the school.

You're correct that the size of a school has little to do with the talent that is at the school. However, size is important because of numbers. This is moreso important in football than basketball because there's more players on the team. But the argument still remains because between a team who has 10 players available playing a team with 6 players available, fatigue and foul trouble become a real problem.

I wish Athens the best of luck in the tournament; they've had a massive turnaround the past couple years and deserve whatever good fortunes they get. Going to the Convo would be a great thing for their seniors and the program itself. Plus I'd be willing to bet that with the district in The Plains, Athens would draw one of the bigger crowds to the Convo.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

blubomber89 wrote:Mr. Karate Kid, Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that the size of the school has nothing to do with how well the basketball team does. Athens can have a team with no talent at all and it would have nothing to do with the school size. I wish people would stop using that as an excuse. And that's what it is an excuse, you put your best five on the court and see what happens. Either the school has talent or it doesn't no matter the size. Cause the teams Athens has played had the same size individuals or taller and the better team won that night. Just get off the size kick getting real old. They are TVC ohio champs well deserving whether anyone else likes it or not a group of good athletes and a good coach. Same players played last year and played some of the same teams and results were a lot different. Htey played the same teams and schedule while in the SEOAL playing TVC teams and lost. It is player dedication and good coaching that has made the turn around not the size of the school same players that I bet you thought weren't that good last year have just come into there own. So choose a betterreason that the size of the school.

OK. school size is not the SOLE indicator of how good a school will be in one season or one specific team but with a large sample it is. There may be a small school that can beat the big boys sometimes but consistently big schools are better than small schools.

For example. Lets say that out of a given population 5% are great basketball players. 10% are good and 85% are bad. By good I mean good enough to play Varsity basketball. By great I mean good enough to be a difference maker. The other 85% are just normal people walking the halls who are in the band or math club. If one school has 200 students, it would then have 10 great players and 20 good players to choose from when forming their team. If another school has 150 students they would then have 7 great players and 15 good players.

Now occasionally the numbers will be up or down but that is the general way it works. Over a 10 year period, with all things the same, the larger school will be better more often.

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

open_post wrote:Solomon,

You think Athens should have been 1 and Warren the 2......where would you put Logan Elm 3?

Back to southeastern where they belong.

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

theassassin wrote:
sparky wrote:i guess you can count a win over a good d4 win as a quality win when you are limited on other quality wins. shouldn't a strong d2 team beat a d4 team 8 or 9 times out of 10? when you put it on the board it is still a win over a d4 team? again what was athens breakdown against d1, d2, d3, and d4 teams?

are you going to tell me that last years oak hill team wouldnt have beat most teams in se ohio regardless of division?

I agree since most of them came from a D2 school

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

Now most of you know about this area and the schools system and a lot of you follow these kids. Athens has had the same players playing for the last four years, that's both in basketball and football. So for datchillicav to use those percentages are not relevant. The same kids have been playing and they just have gotten better, and that is not to say the kids from other schools aren't getting better. Like I stated earlier these are the same kids whose records against the same TVC And SEAOL was horrible to say the least. Athens kids have just come into there own and I think a lot of people want to lean on the school size instead of giving those kids the just due that they deserve. And to let you know I'm not from Athens but I have watched this school for a long time and they have just turned the corner is all.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Some stats for you data hounds:

Logan Elm: Played 3 non league teams that were D1 or D2; Played 2 NL teams D3

Warren: played 1 non league team that was D2 (0 D1): Played 3 non league teams D3

Athens: played 6 non league teams that were D1 or D2: Played 2 non league teams D4 (1 Eastern Meigs & Trimble)

So those of you who said that Athens' plays smaller non league schools to inflate their record are amiss.

On another thread Warren was congratulated for being "Washington Co. champs" but Athens had been dogged for playing Trimble who is an Athens Co team. So it is okay for Warren to play smaller county schools but not Athens??? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Bandwagoner
Freshman Team

Post by Bandwagoner »

Now, there are a lot of good points being made about a lot of good ball teams. But Waverly is the second best team in this bracket. And probably the only team that has a sincere chance of beating Logan Elm, given Logan Elm beat them by 14 or so.. But Waverly was getting used to their new guard & were still finding the starting line-up they wanted. I think if Waverly gets past Jackson & Chilli, assuming LE does, that it will probably be the best game out of this sectional. Dont sleep on DA TIGERS!!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

FLASH-G wrote:
theassassin wrote:
sparky wrote:i guess you can count a win over a good d4 win as a quality win when you are limited on other quality wins. shouldn't a strong d2 team beat a d4 team 8 or 9 times out of 10? when you put it on the board it is still a win over a d4 team? again what was athens breakdown against d1, d2, d3, and d4 teams?

are you going to tell me that last years oak hill team wouldnt have beat most teams in se ohio regardless of division?

I agree since most of them came from a D2 school

Return to “Boys Basketball”