Mark Lafon of Ironton

85inside
S

Mark Lafon of Ironton

Post by 85inside »

I believe Mark lafon just won his 15th game of the season. That is four seasons in a row that ironton basketball has won 15 or more games undr Lafon. Did any other Ironton coach ever do that? Buddy Bell maybe?

moonshine
SEO

Re: Mark Lafon of Ironton

Post by moonshine »

Can Logan hire Mark! Good job coach! May Ironton run the table!

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

He really does an excellent job...He took over a program that had just played to a tough five point loss to OJ Mayo and Bill Walker in the State Championship..(which Ironton may soon end up with the win..if the commish proves the allegations)...to come back the next season strong with most of the starters all graduated and have at least 15 wins each of his next five seasons...

Great Job Coach...

He not only has done it on the court...but the attitude in Ironton has changed from a Football is everything...to where Basketball is respected just as much...He has done a great job with the camp in the summer for the kids and then having the Classic the last couple of years that just keeps getting better...Hats off....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He's one of my favorites.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Coach Lafon is a great coach and an even better person.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

No doubt he will be named the SEOAL's "Coach of the Year."

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

85inside, Agree with you on Lafon. As far as Buddy Bell goes he had some great teams in the mid to late 70's but they only played 18 reg. season games then. I can remember those because as you remind me often I am "much" older than you ;-)

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

I like Mark,I think hes a hardnosed coach just like his was at one time.I think Oak Hill has him,can't recall his name. :lol:

I also think as an A.D. Mark will see to it that ALL our teams put winners on the fields or court or tracks.I want our teams to win at everything even if its pitching quarters.

Again Congrats to Coach Lafon

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Lafon is hands down the best coach in Southeast Ohio. Never stops coaching. South Point blew it.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:85inside, Agree with you on Lafon. As far as Buddy Bell goes he had some great teams in the mid to late 70's but they only played 18 reg. season games then. I can remember those because as you remind me often I am "much" older than you ;-)

Yes, when it comes to the 70's, you are the man Dutch! My condolences to you and your favorite band, "The Knack" on the death of their lead singer. I will request "My Sharona," in your honor at Sta-Tan this summer.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Enjoy watching Mark work with kids, and he is a fine person. Since I left that area several years ago I do not see him as much, but he does a great job!

juke boxer
JV Team

Post by juke boxer »

Very motivated person; in coaching and his school duties. Great coach, great person. Ironton is fortunate to have him. Surrounds himself with very good assistants. Good Luck the rest of the way, Coach Lafon.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

mark lafon , is one of my favorite people in the ironton school system, he has always had time for me, he has answered questions, helped when one of my sons was struggling in school. has sat with me at football games, asked my opinion on things, he's a great people person, a great asset to the ironton school systems athletically, as well as scholastically.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

Coach has told me before that he became a coach because he felt his coaches growing up assisted his parents in raising him and shaping his life and he wanted to be a part of that. That's the kind of coach we have; the wins are a bonus!

GO TIGERS!!!

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Mark Lafon has done a fine job at Ironton no question about it.

Not sure about records of coaches in the early years...

Although Roger Zornes coached for 3 years he compiled 66 wins and only 9 losses.
He's one of the best no doubt about it.

Go Tigers!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The hallmark of a good coach is to sustain success.......and Coach Lafon has done this.......Ironton has been consistently good under his guidance.......and from what they have coming up, more of the same can be expected in the next several years.

Ironton has had some other good coaches as well.......Buddy Bell, Roger Zornes, and how about Phil Rice?.......he led Ironton to their first Final 4 appearance in 1994 when the Fighting Tigers beat Columbus St.Charles 76-54 in the regional championship. From the mid 80's to the late 90's Ironton had some excellent teams under Rice.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

I for one always liked Phil Rice...he was a player's coach..he was really good to his players and always fun to play for, no matter the sport. I too think he did a fine job with the kids..it is always tough to coach another sport other than football at Ironton...especially basketball, and rice coached during the eightees and nineties when Ironton Football was at it's peak..Hopefully it will keep getting better every year again just as Basketball seems to be doing. Only thing I didn't like about Coach Rice...His stall offense at the end of the game when we had a lead..it was never good to have a ten point or less lead while he was coaching..we almost always lost the game with the stall offense...

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I am not sure what that last post has to do with Coach Lafon but I think he has done a fine job with Tigers.

I was told and always not the case but did any players leave the team lately"

thanks and again good job
Coach Lafon

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

You guys from Ironton has had 2 great coaches in a row IMO with Zornes & Lafon see you all Monday night @ the Convo & good luck to you

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Bring the Heat wrote:I am not sure what that last post has to do with Coach Lafon but I think he has done a fine job with Tigers.

I was told and always not the case but did any players leave the team lately"
thanks and again good job
Coach Lafon

NO.......

Return to “Boys Basketball”