Belpre @ Athens 2/19

mhs95_06
S

Re: Belpre @ Athens 2/19

Post by mhs95_06 »

I don't think Gallia will be that easy. I'm thinking that will be a very interesting game to watch!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

mhs95_06 wrote:I don't think Gallia will be that easy. I'm thinking that will be a very interesting game to watch!

I hope the Devils aren't easy. But either way, Warren advances to the Convo.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens has shown the ability to stay with ANY & ALL opponents it has faced already - and/or will face in the next two games in the tourney ... The way coach Skinner has molded this team with superb defense and having three exceptional offensive players, they can hang with Warren or Fairfield Union and it will most likely go down-to-the-wire ... officials will play a big part, foul trouble, turnovers and converting foul shots will determine the winner ... anyone who says "Warren will win going away" or "Athens will beat Warren no problem" ... are absolutly mis-informed or don't know anything about either team.

Athens has a 4-year started at PG who has shown to be one of the better all around players in the area ... They have a shooting guard who can leap out of the gym, shoot treys and can handle the ball ... They have a 6-foot-4 power forward who many believe will be the TVC-Ohio player of the year - he averages almost a double-double and is great from the charity stripe ... And then the Bulldogs round out their starting line-up with a 3-point sharp shooter who just waits for the other three to get double-teamed - and a 6-foot-5 center who is smart, tough and plays tremendous defense.

That kind of starting five didn't go 18-1 for no reason (and their schedule wasn't weak either) and that kind of starting five with all their experience WON'T GET blown out be Warren ... will they win? I have no idea. Will it be close? I would bet my house, my savings account and even my dog that it will be!

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

Athens plays everyone close.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as 93dog posted Athens IS the real deal ... starts with the main man courtside - Coach Skinner - he has taken the "misused" talent from previous years and given them "structure" both offensively and defensively ... Coach has directed the dawgs in handling teams that OUTSIZED AHS (ie. Greenup Co)... vs teams that put pressure on the ball for 4 quarters (ie. Vinton, Reedsville Eastern) ... vs teams that wanted to push the game into an uptempo contest (Logan) ... the Bulldogs have controlled the tempo of literally all their contests this season (minus Jackson - a hiccup) - a credit to Coach Skinner, AND to the players buying into what Coach Skinner was/is "orchestrating" court side ... imo I see Athens IN any game vs any team in the sectional - the team that beats AHS will need to bring their "A" game ... the Athens season was NO FLUKE ... 19-1 was EARNED not GIVEN ... the Athens TEAM, Coach Skinner neither one have to "DEFEND" their performance in the 2009-10 campaign ... their performance in the 2009-10 season can not be taken away from them ... best of luck in the "survive and advance" season Coach Skinner , TEAM Athens - Pfaff, Butcher, Valentour, Maffin, Stanley, McAdoo, Harris, Germano, Herpy ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Words of wisdom from the 'King' himself ... Look forward to seeing ya at the Convo this year floyd ... I know I have been M.I.A the past few years - but I fully intend to catch up this season ... Especially with the notion that Athens may be there for the 1st time since I can even remember - plus a host of TVC teams that I expect to make it ...

I truly believe this year may just rival that 2002 (or was it 2003) season when the Convo was packed for the 5-game District Championship extravaganza that began with the VC/Greenfield game and ended with the Ironton/Westfall triple overtime thriller .... that was a day for the ages ... maybe this year can come close to it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”