Warren Local hands GAHS 7th straight loss

jottings
SEOPS H

Warren Local hands GAHS 7th straight loss

Post by jottings »

Host Vincent Warren Local handed Gallia Academy High School its seventh straight hardwood loss Friday night with a resounding 65-28 victory over the Blue Devils.

Despite the lop-sided setback, Gallipolis held a slim 6-4 first period lead over the Warriors. Then 6-2 senior guard Brandon Fivecoait and 6 foot junior guard Austin Cunningham turned the contest into an onslaught by outscoring GAHS 22-7 in the second quarter for a 26-13 halftime lead and never looked back. WLHS led 51-19 going into the final period.

Fivecoait led the assault with 20 points while Cunningham tossed in 10 points. Jeremy Hastie finished with eight points and Andrew Lang added five.

Warren Local sank 22 of 50 field goal attempts for 44 percent. Behind the arc, WLHS was five of 17 for 29 percent. Warren was 17 of 33 from two-point land for 51 percent, mostly lay-ups off GAHS turnovers. The Warriors sank 16 of 23 free throw attempts for 69 percent.

Warren Local picked off 31 rebounds, seven by Clay Ellenwood, and had 11 turnovers. The Warriors had 14 assists, four by Cameron Cowan. Warren had seven steals and four blocked shots.

Nick Mitchell led GAHS scorers with six points. Ethan Moore and Tyler Eastman finished with five apiece.

Gallipolis sank 10 of 40 field goal attempts for 25 percent. Behind the arc, GAHS was one of 13 for seven percent. Gallipolis was nine of 27 from two-point range for 33 percent. The Gallians were seven of 11 at the foul line for 63 percent.

Gallipolis picked off 29 rebounds, six by John Troester, and committed 26 costly turnovers.

The loss left GAHS 6-13 on the year. The Gallians finished Southeastern Ohio League play with a 3-11 record. GAHS will finish regular season play with a non-league twinbill at Bidwell River Valley on Saturday, Feb. 20. The reserve game starts at 6 p.m. There will be no freshman game. Gallipolis will then battle Athens at Logan in a Division II post-season tournament game on Tuesday, Feb. 23, beginning at 6:15 p.m.

Warren made it a clean sweep Friday by beating the GAHS reserves, 53-37, and GAHS freshmen, 50-27.

In the freshman game, Warren jumped out in front 16-1 in the first period, and led 23-15 at halftime. The Warren Local yearlings were on top 33-21 going into the fourth quarter.

Nick Clagg led GAHS with 11 points. T. J. McCalla and Jim Clagg each had four apiece. Evan Yabs scored 10 for Warren and Andy Vincent nine. Gallipolis finished its season with a 12-7 mark. Warren finished with a 15-5 season record.

Warren, the 2009-10 SEOAL reserve champions, rolled over the Blue Imps, 53-37. Warren finished the season with an 18-2 mark and 12-2 league record, Gallipolis dropped to 9-10 on the season and finished league play with a 5-9 record.

Warren led 16-8, 28-16 and 42-32 at the quartermarks.

Landon Kern led Warren Local with 11 points. Tyler Ward and Josh Windland scored nine apiece. Drew Young led GAHS with 10 points. Tyler Eastman finished with eight points and Nick Saunders seven.

Varsity box score:

GALLIPOLIS (28) – Corey Eberhard, 1-0-0-2; Jordan Cornwell,1-0-0-2; Ethan Moore, 0-(1)-2-2-5; Nate Allison, 0-0-0-0; Nick Mitchell, 3-0-0-6; Chuck Calvart, 0-0-0-0; Tyler Eastman, 1-3-4-5; Austin Wilson, 0-0-0-0; Jared Golden, 2-0-3-4; Bryce Amos, 1-0-0-2; Cody Billings, 0-0-0-0; John Troester, 0-2-2-2; Joe Jenkins, 0-0-0-0; Nate Gordon, 0-0-0-0. Totals 9-(1)-7-11-28.

WARREN LOCAL (65) – Dylan Laffingwell, 0-0-0-0; Grant Venham, 2-0-1-4;Camerln Cowan, 0-(1)-0-0-3; Andrew Lang, 1-(1)-1-2-6; Justin Hilvering, 0-2-2-2; Clay Ellenwood, 2-1-2-5; Jeremy Hastie, 1-(2)-0-0-8;Austin Cunningham, 5-0-1-10; Jace Knost, 0-2-2-2; Brandon Fivecoait, 5-10-13-20; Tyler Ward 0-(1)-0-0-3; Jacob Yoho, 1-0-0-2. Totals 17-(5)-16-23-65.

Score by quarters:
Gallipolis…….6 7 6 9 -- 28
Warren………4 22 25 14 -- 65

Reserve score—Warren 53 Gallipolis 37
Freshman score—Warren 50 Gallipolis 27
Next GAHS game—At River Valley, Feb. 20, 6 p.m.
Last edited by jottings on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: Warren Local hands GAHS 7th straight loss

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Wow! I'd say Warren is an odds-on favorite for the Convo this year. Tough stuff for this Devils fan, but good luck to Warren.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

That was about as physical and rough a game as you could have for 3 quarters. SEOAL basketball is a violent game...sheesh.

bankshot
Freshman Team

Post by bankshot »

Congrats to Mr.Yoho the warriors senior manager who got to dress and play...he got the whole effect of the game getting a rebound a foul a steal, making a fade away jumper and tweaking his ankle all in his amount of playing time lastnight...Maddox and the warriors are a real class act program to give this kid the opportunity to do something he will never forget...keep on rollin

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

I wanted to thank the Gallia coaches, players and fans for being so gracious last night. It's not easy to lose a game, and some might have been offended by the participation of someone that is not ordinarily suited up to play for the other team. Instead, you took it for what it was, a sincere gesture. It was a sincere effort to give Mr. Yoho the chance to fulfill his dream of playing varsity basketball. He did a great job, and the Warren and Gallia fans all cheered him on together.

Last night exemplified the class of both the Warren and the Gallia basketball programs, schools and communities. I, for one, hope that Warren and Gallia stay in the SEOAL together for a good long time. Schools like Warren and Gallia benefit from the integrity that both bring to every competition.

Good luck to Gallia against Athens. We hope to see you later in the tournament.

Warrior Mom
Waterboy

Post by Warrior Mom »

Bankshot...Great post,however I would like to add to it,by including the class and compassion shown by the young men from Gallia,coaches,and even seen some Devil fans on their feet cheering on Mr Yoho.It was a night he will hold in his heart forever,as well as those of us who were merely "Witnesses". Thank you again.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looks like the Warriors are getting "tuned" up right on time as we head into the second season - defense is the name of the game in the post season, Coach Maddox has all of the tools to "git 'r done" both offensively and defensively ... the injury "bug" has flown , should be a great Logan Sectional to watch from the Cheap Seats this coming week - looking forward to it ...

... just like to say Congratulations to Coach Duckworth on yet another fine season ... 18-2, SEOAL Reserve Champs AND more importantly you got the JV Blue ready to become Varsity Blue without missing a beat - great job Coach Duckworth ...

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Thank you Pfoyd. Great group of young men and great families.

My life has been truly blessed in many ways. I have been lucky enough to be a small part of Warren basketball for the last 12 years. All total, I have been on the bench for over 900 games at various levels. I have seen both the good and the bad in high school athletics. I have been lucky enough to cut down a few nets, and smart enough to listen to Coach Maddox when he speaks. With that being said, I am going to have to say that Senior Night at Warren last night was the most powerful thing I have ever experienced in high school athletics. It started with Dr. Bret Frye (class of 84) giving the locker room pre-game talk. It continued with the effort of the varsity team in the game. Then came the 4th quarter. I have know Jacob Yoho for several years now as a team manger, film guy, locker room helper, practice helper, etc. To get to see him dress and play and score......WOW. I could not be happier for any person. Words can not accurately describe the emotion on the bench and in the locker room. And all of you are correct. The class of Coach Oz, and Tom Moore, and Jottings, and Steve Eberts, and the Galia cheerleaders was outstanding. The Galia basketball family has always been at the top of my list and many other people got to see why last night.

As the seniors spoke to the fans after the game, I found myself thinking back to some of the seniors from 10 years ago. The game of basketball will come to and end at the high school level as a player, but it never has to end in your heart. I think those of us who were lucky enough to be at Senior night last night will always carry it with us.

Time to get back to work.........more business to take care of.
I look forward to seeing all of you in Logan..........Good luck to all!!

339 Tiger
Waterboy

Post by 339 Tiger »

[size=150]PRICELESS![
What an experience! Being an alumni of Warren and watching 2 brothers and now a son come up through the program as well as watching hundreds of games, Ive got to say that that was the most joyful experience Ive ever witnessed! If every Warrior Fan who was in attendance doesnt take apart of this home with them, then you have a real problem. What a tremendous message that no matter how much we love the game of basketball, that there is always something more important that sometimes we all overlook....Life itself! The treat to see Jacob Yoho for the minutes he was on the floor and see the happiness that he brought to himself,teammates,coaches, and the crowd was a memory that will last a lifetime! Coach Maddox,Coach Duckworth,and Coach Coffman showed that this is why we are blessed to have them in our program. The bond that a single person brought to the players involved with Warren Basketball should be stronger than ever before! We as parents,fans,athletes, should cherish what happened last night and approach everday with a new outlook. We thank all who is responsible for letting this happen.
Thank You Gallia for being such GREAT sports and we will never forget this!
Now Warriors, and Warrior fans........Lets come together as One like we have been preaching to our youngsters, and support our Team AND MAKE THIS THE MOST MEMORABLE YEAR EVER! LETS GO TO THE CONVO AND BEYOND! THANK YOU AGAIN JACOB YOHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”