Burg 57 vs Oak Hil 51..FINAL 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

ovc fan
Varsity

Re: Burg 57 vs Oak Hil 51..FINAL 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by ovc fan »

Belpre beat Fairland in Double OT! Good luck Pirates. Keep it all in Southeast OHIO!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I had Andy Stegman had 19 rebounds (7 offensive) and I was not doubting those numbers--the radio had him with 18 and they are usually a little low. But I only post this because I am a numbers fanatic. Andrew Bendolph also pulled in a season high of 9 rebounds, 3 in overtime.

Most of the rest of the stats are very similar though Wheelersburg had 11 turnovers. (3 walks, one ball lost out of bounds, 6 steals, and a non-specified one by Andy Stegman in the third quarter where I think he lost control of the ball in traffic...)

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

HotChickenWings wrote:Dear world, i would like to introduce to you a bunch of fair weather 'Burg fans. They were nowhere to be seen during the last few months but you can sure here 'em now.

My friend I must agree 100%. I do recall when I said that Burg would be there at tourney time because of their coach,(even though there record)some burg posters said I was prolly wrong with that statement. They said this is different and said this burg team wasn't that good. Come on people, burg isn't a easy out in about any sport.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Never count out Tom Barrick.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

From the outside looking in. This isn't close to being one of Wheelersburg's best teams of all time and they beat Oak Hill flat out. It's a lot, lot, lot easier winning in DIV than even attempting to win in DIII or above and it's been proven over they year's by a lot of teams in sectional and district games by teams that have moved up or down in divisions from one year to the next. Maybe Norm can find a way to lose enough kids so he can make a run in DIV again pretty soon. :)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Cameron34Crazie34 wrote:
HotChickenWings wrote:Dear world, i would like to introduce to you a bunch of fair weather 'Burg fans. They were nowhere to be seen during the last few months but you can sure here 'em now.

My friend I must agree 100%. I do recall when I said that Burg would be there at tourney time because of their coach,(even though there record)some burg posters said I was prolly wrong with that statement. They said this is different and said this burg team wasn't that good. Come on people, burg isn't a easy out in about any sport.

Burg fans were VERY well represented at the game tonight. In fact both teams filled their allotted seats. Personally, I consider true fans the ones that drive on bad roads in bad weather to support their teams. Not the ones that sit and talk nonsense on internet sites. I can do without those any time. The Oak/Burg game had twice the fans as the Valley/Portsmouth game. I understand why Oak Hill filled up their side so well but there are VERY few schools that will fill up a gymnasium when their team has a losing record. I was a bit surprised and very impressed with Wheelersburg's following tonight.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Congrats to burg on the big win tonight,and congrats to Andrew Bendolph on a great game,I think he put this team on his shoulders tonight.

good luck

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Again, I can't believe people are calling Burg fans fairweather. If you are a pirate fan and were at the game last night, every face in our stands you recognized! We packed out our side as did Oak Hill! Drop the fairweather talk! Burg has supported their kids for years! Some people can't stand that.

After last nights game, I had a knot in my throat I hadn't had all year. Those kids played their hearts out. It isn't about Oak Hill not being able to handle d3..blah blah blah. That team was good. Flat good. And Burg, like I said in many posts prior to the game, Burg can only win this game with heart! The talent was their..and I think Bendolph proved that with his 33 points and Stegman with his 18 rebounds. What an awsome game, and the knot I had walking out of that gym, was the one I had back when Eaton and them went to the state. Wow...Well I woke up this morning and opened up the daily times...because I couldn't stand laying in bed knowing the paper was out their!!! lol...I opened it up and read the Beautiful article..from "Burg shocks Oaks 57-51 in OT" to the end of the article where it said "Oak Hill coach Norm Persin left the facility without speaking to the media" :-D :-D :122245 :-D :) :122245 :-D

No shame to the Oaks..your a freaking good team. It was simply the team you played studied your game very well and ran the court. The oaks, like the paper said, are a half court team. Burg ran the ball. Bendolph can do that. It wasn't rocket science. Add that to heart... you get a W.

GO BURG! Bring on Belpre!

pirates09
Waterboy

Re: Burg vs Oak Hill 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by pirates09 »

theassassin wrote:did a 500 burg team beat 20-0 peake in first round game back in the 90's?

could this be deja vu all over again

Last nights win was exactly to the date 18 years that burg beat peake in 92

pirates09
Waterboy

Post by pirates09 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Anyone know what Norms record is overall against Wheelersburg and especially the tourney record?

Just curious since he doesn't seem to have a lot of luck against the Pirates.

Norm has only beat the burg once in the tourney when he was at peake...and i think that was in 1997

once-a-piston
Waterboy

Re: Burg vs Oak Hill 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by once-a-piston »

crazee-oakaholic wrote:I have always heard a pirate doesnt whine like a tiger

TIMBER!!!!!!! mighty oaks......who's whining now? Way to go Burg!!!!!! :aaaaa10

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I agree with what others have said there is a big difference between D-4 and D-3. Oak hill would have had a much rougher time last year in D-3. I will take Barrick any day of the week against Norm with any team in the tourneys- Norm just can't get it done against Barrick in the tourneys- by the way Norm must have shown a lot of class last night after the loss when he left the building without talking to the press which was reported by the portsmouth daily times.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bucki4life,
That doesn't surprise me :lol:

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Barrick 0 state titles---Norm 1 state title....

In the tourny it is all about match ups. Who really wants to play Wheelersburg in a sectional final?

There is a difference in d3 and d4, but the difference is early in the tournament. There are more quality teams in the section and district, but I have seen plenty of D4 teams that would have won the d3 region in Athens.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

as i said earlier the oaks were not deep enough to make a run in the tourney. got into foul trouble and changed everything. also said that it is hard to be barrick three times in a season. norm has to still be wondering where the 12 point lead is at. with no bench to call on norm just got out coached and oaks just got out played. good win. a .500 team moves on and the undefeated goes home. gotta love high school bball.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Burg played a great game, when things weren't going their way in first half, they kept coming. Bendolph, well what can i say..Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Norm has been around enough to know you have to play a better non-conference schedule! Oak Hill still had a fine season...

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

One thing I didn't see talked about on here was the fiasco with the jump ball in overtime. How was that the Oaks ball? The refs screwed up when they lined them up and Slone tipped the ball back over his shoulder, which should have been the right side of the floor, but then a pass was made over halfcourt making it over and back. The three refs talked it over, made the right call by awarding the Burg the ball, but then Norm intervened and they changed the call.

What should have been the proper call? Should they have just re-jumped it?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Congrats Pirates!!!!

pirates09
Waterboy

Post by pirates09 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:One thing I didn't see talked about on here was the fiasco with the jump ball in overtime. How was that the Oaks ball? The refs screwed up when they lined them up and Slone tipped the ball back over his shoulder, which should have been the right side of the floor, but then a pass was made over halfcourt making it over and back. The three refs talked it over, made the right call by awarding the Burg the ball, but then Norm intervened and they changed the call.

As a high school official, i looked up the rule and there is a case in the case book for basketball. The officials made the right call. The rule states that if a jump ball is lined up wrong in overtime, as soon as the officials notice it the play is stopped and it is corrected, by giving the ball to the team that got the jump ball, or if it is noticed after a point is scored, the points stay and the ball is given to the opposite team under their own basket. What the 3 officials did last night was the correct way to handle it.

I agree that the officials were going to give burg the ball until norm stepped in and was raising heck for it. But they did make the right decision. But the problem should have been fixed way before the ball was put in play, the officials should of made sure that they were lined up right.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

pirates09 wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:One thing I didn't see talked about on here was the fiasco with the jump ball in overtime. How was that the Oaks ball? The refs screwed up when they lined them up and Slone tipped the ball back over his shoulder, which should have been the right side of the floor, but then a pass was made over halfcourt making it over and back. The three refs talked it over, made the right call by awarding the Burg the ball, but then Norm intervened and they changed the call.

As a high school official, i looked up the rule and there is a case in the case book for basketball. The officials made the right call. The rule states that if a jump ball is lined up wrong in overtime, as soon as the officials notice it the play is stopped and it is corrected, by giving the ball to the team that got the jump ball, or if it is noticed after a point is scored, the points stay and the ball is given to the opposite team under their own basket. What the 3 officials did last night was the correct way to handle it.

I agree that the officials were going to give burg the ball until norm stepped in and was raising heck for it. But they did make the right decision. But the problem should have been fixed way before the ball was put in play, the officials should of made sure that they were lined up right.

Well please tell that to the refs that did the West-East game earlier this year. They lined them up wrong and West proceeded to score a bucket and they gave the points and ball to East. Then we went on to lose the ball game because of this swing.

Return to “Boys Basketball”