Burg 57 vs Oak Hil 51..FINAL 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Re: Burg vs Oak Hill 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by ole_Bobcat »

theassassin wrote:omg!!!! huge upset

Not really! Look at the Schedules the 2 teams played,one prepares you for the post season the other prepares you for nothing.

Nice job Pirates

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Burg vs Oak Hill 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

ole_Bobcat wrote:
theassassin wrote:omg!!!! huge upset

Not really! Look at the Schedules the 2 teams played,one prepares you for the post season the other prepares you for nothing.

Nice job Pirates

each team what they were getting into this game...

voodoochild
Riding the Bench

Re: Burg 57 vs Oak Hil 51..FINAL 2-26-10 3rd meeting this year

Post by voodoochild »

Just about everyone saw this coming. Regular season is all about preparing for postseason, not who can I schedule to rack up some wins and be "paper" champions.
That may work in Div 4 but it wont in Div 3.
Norm must have felt like he was back at the Peake with this early exit.

oaks one
Waterboy

Post by oaks one »

What did Burg's schedule prepare them for the last two years that Oak Hill was D4 and Oaks beat them 3 out of 4? They are probably close too, if not the smallest D3 team in state this year and beat them 2 of 3. The SOC 2 schedule is all D3 and D2 except for South Webster.

Difiance Tenora was in D3 state championship game last year. Tenora beat Kalida in OT during the season. Oak Hill beat Kalida in OTs in state champ game. Not sure where all this great gap talk comes from, other than limited knowledgeable commentors.

Nobody can dispute that D3 is probably a tougher tournament, but D4 is not a cake walk or a lot more quality teams from this area would go further consistently. Newark Catholic, Ada, and Kalida would have all won the SOC2 if Oak Hill did and would have beat most if not all D3 teams in this area. You can yell otherwise, but it will simply not be true.

Many sensible Burg fans have stated this D3 / D4 thing in very a knowledgeable fashion and should be commended. I would think most Oak Hill fans hope the Burg goes as far as they are able, as did the real Burg fans did for Oak Hill last year.

Whoever said they would rather have a second place trophy/medal in D3 as opposed to a state championship in D4--------well that is just plain stupid.
Last edited by oaks one on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

You can't say the the D4 isn't about a cake walk to the regionals. Man playing Manchester, Clay, Notre Dame, and Green must get hard

oaks one
Waterboy

Post by oaks one »

Oaks played none of the teams you listed last year. They played a 17-3 Waterford with D1, 6-11 kid. You play who they tell you to play. There are some pretty sorry D3 teams that get played in the early rounds also.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Which that was all the had, there is more sorry teams in the D4 sectionals in our area then there are d3 teams

jason bourne
Waterboy

Post by jason bourne »

just an observation, when the game is close and on the line I think it comes down to coaching, and coaching is why the the burg walked away with the victory last night. Coach Barrick made the adjustments and used his timeouts when he needed to, Coach Persin did not.This IMO is why Oak Hill lost, game tied with 1 min to play, oaks hold the ball and hold it and hold it, I thought ok he is going to let it run down to about 15 seconds and call timeout(he had 2 left) then it gets to that point and nothing, they try to run a play without getting organized, I dont understand it.Thats why they lost. And thats why he is not the greatest gift to coaching at all,National COY or not, i say NOT. So all you Oaks fans be glad you got your NCOY, and we will take our Coach anytime ,anyplace,against anyone, he may not get all the recognition but I think that southern Ohio knows he is by far the best Coach around. again my opinion.

pirates09
Waterboy

Post by pirates09 »

Cameron34Crazie34 wrote:
pirates09 wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:One thing I didn't see talked about on here was the fiasco with the jump ball in overtime. How was that the Oaks ball? The refs screwed up when they lined them up and Slone tipped the ball back over his shoulder, which should have been the right side of the floor, but then a pass was made over halfcourt making it over and back. The three refs talked it over, made the right call by awarding the Burg the ball, but then Norm intervened and they changed the call.

What should have been the proper call? Should they have just re-jumped it?

As a high school official, i looked up the rule and there is a case in the case book for basketball. The officials made the right call. The rule states that if a jump ball is lined up wrong in overtime, as soon as the officials notice it the play is stopped and it is corrected, by giving the ball to the team that got the jump ball, or if it is noticed after a point is scored, the points stay and the ball is given to the opposite team under their own basket. What the 3 officials did last night was the correct way to handle it.

I agree that the officials were going to give burg the ball until norm stepped in and was raising heck for it. But they did make the right decision. But the problem should have been fixed way before the ball was put in play, the officials should of made sure that they were lined up right.

Well please tell that to the refs that did the West-East game earlier this year. They lined them up wrong and West proceeded to score a bucket and they gave the points and ball to East. Then we went on to lose the ball game because of this swing.

I was talking to two officials about that game last night and what those guys did was dumb and those are the guys that are in it just for the money, not because they enjoy the sport. After the game i looked it up in the case book and in the rule book, and those officials of the East-West game did everything the total opposite of how it should have been done. Sorry that you guys were the victim of stupidity. :( :lol:

K-BERG88
Waterboy

Post by K-BERG88 »

avalanche wrote:Barrick 0 state titles---Norm 1 state title....

In the tourny it is all about match ups. Who really wants to play Wheelersburg in a sectional final?

There is a difference in d3 and d4, but the difference is early in the tournament. There are more quality teams in the section and district, but I have seen plenty of D4 teams that would have won the d3 region in Athens.

How many titles would Barrick have if Burg was a d4 team instead of d3 when he made his final 4 visits

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

jason bourne wrote:This IMO is why Oak Hill lost, game tied with 1 min to play, oaks hold the ball and hold it and hold it, I thought ok he is going to let it run down to about 15 seconds and call timeout(he had 2 left) then it gets to that point and nothing, they try to run a play without getting organized, I dont understand it.Thats why they lost. .

You forgot to mention that they ended up taking a low percentage 3 shot after all this time and the score was tied with only a handful of seconds remaining. All they needed was a layup or a foul shot to win..... and they throw up a THREE ball ???? :122246
Doesn't sound like NCOY material to me.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

K-BERG88 wrote:
avalanche wrote:Barrick 0 state titles---Norm 1 state title....

In the tourny it is all about match ups. Who really wants to play Wheelersburg in a sectional final?

There is a difference in d3 and d4, but the difference is early in the tournament. There are more quality teams in the section and district, but I have seen plenty of D4 teams that would have won the d3 region in Athens.

How many titles would Barrick have if Burg was a d4 team instead of d3 when he made his final 4 visits

1... not in the 05-06 season though

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

For the record, there was a bunch of Trojans fans sitting on the Burgs side last night.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

....and after watching Oak Hill give up a huge lead late.......Portsmouth still wasn't willing to believe it could happen to them.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

andrew bendolph was simply unbleviable when he guarded ondera he simply couldnt score on bendolph, then on offense he was on fire

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Saying if we were d4 we would do this is a stupid argument. Come on burg fans you should have more pride in your program then that. If you want to be d4 lose about 50 boys and you can.

Wheelersburg played better, it is pretty simple. Norm has beaten Barrick the last 3 out of 4 and all of a sudden he can't beat him :roll: . Wheelersburg is a team that you can always expect to play tough and disciplined.

You win some you lose some.

I will tell you that Col. Afacentric (sp?) would have beaten any d3 school a few years back in our region. Remember that Akron SVSM (with Lebron) lost to Bacon after going up a Division. It happeneds.

Flacon you are such a POS. Tell me what you have done in life Mr. I am still in high school and live with my parents.

SickRick
Riding the Bench

Post by SickRick »

Man you can never count Burg out great win.<----(man this hurts coming from a waverly fan)

SickRick
Riding the Bench

Post by SickRick »

southernohiofan wrote:andrew bendolph was simply unbleviable when he guarded ondera he simply couldnt score on bendolph, then on offense he was on fire

Ive heard he might leave Burg is there any truth to this

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Since Norm has coached at Oak Hill (correct me if I'm wrong on this) it is a dead tie between the two coaches.

In 2006-2007-- Wheelersburg beat Oak Hill 3 times in that season, burg beats them in Regional Semi(Division 3)
In 2007-2008-- They split in regular season (Oak Hill now in Division 4)
In 2008-2009-- Oak Hill won both (Oaks in Division 4)
In 2009-2010-- Oak Hill wins both league games, then gets beat by Burg in the Sectional Final ( Oak are back in D3)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Swanker Pine wrote:
K-BERG88 wrote:How many titles would Barrick have if Burg was a d4 team instead of d3 when he made his final 4 visits

1... not in the 05-06 season though

He certainly may have considering his team beat the Division IV championship team easily by double digits in the tournament warm-up game. But it is alway speculation. When I watched that state championship game that year, it was pretty obvious that the quality was a big step down from the other divisions. BUT that IS why they have divisions. The average DIV team is not suppose to be as good as the average DIII team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”