Eastern Pike vs. Southern (Sectional Final) 3.2.10

Eaglesnest
All State

Re: Eastern Pike vs. Southern (Sectional Final) 3.2.10

Post by Eaglesnest »

I don't think SOCFAN1430 is trashing anyone. Others obviously are and simply are on here for their own agenda..whatever that me be? Some are "bashing" that haven't posted a single thing on a boys thread all season and are not true followers of the team. I only wish some of these folks actually knew how much Coach Fitch does for his players beyond the game of basketball. Keep your head up Eagles and Coach Fitch. The future looks bright for you.

vikingalumni
Waterboy

Post by vikingalumni »

live4sport wrote:That sounds better and doesn't come across as bashing. People who bash 99% of the time----idiots. I think it is alright to wonder what happened or why but I will tell you it is completely different on the floor with the players you know and after watching all the film on the other team. To say someone got outcoached because someone wasn't in or the last play didn't run the way you would like and you only lost by 2????? yes----idiot. And yes I was there. I thought the team worked well to get back in it. All kinds of support before and during the game then question a man's coaching ability after a 2 point loss is classless. All I can say is I wish all the "bleacher coaches" a.k.a. idiots out there could have one chance to stand on the sideline down 2 with seconds left in the game and everyone in gym turn to you and ask "what do we do?" . I'll tell you that your mind starts racing do I give it to him or he's hot right now or they'll be expecting that or statistically I should do this and in the end either you are a hero or you got outcoached. Most people would freeze or pee their pants under that kind of pressure.
And let it be said that even if a coach makes the right call, gets it to the right kid, he can't put it in the basket for them. There was a post on another thread about how good coaches were the ones who won the close games, while that could sometimes be true, what about a situation where the game is close because the kids can't hit a free-throw (talent, practice, & persistance, by the way, not coaching), can't hit their shots, or complete their assignments? Coaches can teach and coach to keep their kids in a game, but the kids have to put the points on the board.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Congrats to Southern and Coach Caldwell. Im sure the eagles had planned to use their inside game to their advantage. But from the beginning southern was double and triple teaming the eagle post players. Until late in the game they forced the ball inside and did not look to kick it back out to the open player. Southern many times had 3 and even 4 players collapse on the post and the eagle players would still try to force a shot instead of looking for an open teammate. Once they started sharing the ball they had a lot of success. This should have happened much earlier in the game. As for the last play many coaches, much to often IMO, try to advance the ball into the heart of the defense with the inbounds pass. Rarely is it successful. With 3.8 left this is a chance that wouldnt be worth taking. It is much more likely to get the ball 60 feet from the bucket and attack the defense looking for a shot. JMO. Coach Fitch will continue to improve and win games with the Eagles. Congrats boys on a tremendous season. Thanks to the seniors and good luck in the future.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

The future is very bright Eaglesnest. There are some very talented underclassmen, and just enough upperclass talent and experience to keep things going for the Eagles

eagleworld
Waterboy

Post by eagleworld »

tough loss last night for the eagles, congrats to coach caldwell and racine.
Eastern did try to force the ball inside continuosly all night and had numerous turnovers,but this this is what happens when u lose people question the plays u call during the game it happens at every school and every coach has to deal with criticism, i hope all the criticism and the loss makes coach fitch an even better coach,he done an incredible job with these boys this year,but the fact is that we lost and when u lose u will take some shots ,as a coach u need to put this loss behind u and move on .
And last win or lose i am an eagle fan and very proud of it
Last edited by eagleworld on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBaller45
Waterboy

Post by BlueBaller45 »

How does everyone think Coach Fitch is one of the best younger coaches around the area... What has he done other the win the SOC 1 which is the weakest the league has ever been.. Any coach could of coached eastern this year and won the SOC 1.. Bottom line if Caldwell would of been coaching this team we would be on our way to the Convo tuesday night... How many points did the team score in the first 3 quarters 30 points?? It looked like Eastern wasnt even running a set offense, and what other schools has offered him a coaching job Notre Dame... Just ask some of the players that have played for Coach Caldwell and Coach Fitch and they will tell you who the better coach is...

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Blueballer, you need only look at your SOC POY posts to figure out your angle? All of this coach comparison stuff is a waste of internet resources...Caldwell took a team with similar talent and beat the Eagles by 2 points? I guess he is 2 points better? I guess Barrick is 5 points better than Persin now?

You win some and you lose some.

Good luck to Coach Caldwell from a big fan. Good luck to Coach Fitch from a big fan! Good luck Eagles next season!

eagleworld
Waterboy

Post by eagleworld »

Its not coach fitch's fault that the league was weak u play the schedule u r given
i really liked coach caldwell hes a great coach a great person and i wish him luck ,but hes gone he left here and pj is our coach now and although he does a lot of things i dont agree with i will support him .

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

I agree with eagleworld that coach Fitch cant help that the soc1 is very week. He did what he should and win those games. But its the games that are close or the ones you are not supposed to win that coaches can really make a difference. I cant say coach Fitch lost the game but there were some adjustments that could have been made earlier in the game "bigmen told not to force shots with multiple defenders guarding them" that would have given the Eagles a better chance to be successful. In his defense, varsity players should not have to be told to pass the ball when a teammate is open. I feel he will improve on making adjustments in the years to come.

BlueBaller45
Waterboy

Post by BlueBaller45 »

I have been reading the posts on this thread all week and my "angle" behind my post was not directed to bash coach Fitch, but whoever thinks that he is of the same coaching calliber of Caldwell is crazy. Coaching has everything to do with the outcome of any game that is played. I just dont understand how people can say that he is one of the better coaches in the area when he hasnt accomplished anything other then win the SOC 1. Yes, I know he has not been around as long as coach Caldwell, but until he has a district championship or multiple league titles under his belt then you can say he is just as good of a coach as Caldwell. I honestly don't think that Eastern will ever win a sectional title unless he makes better coaching decisions. Im not trying to take anything away from this team by talking about how weak the league is. This is a very good team and I personally believe that they should have went a lot farther then the sectionals. I just find it very disappointing that their season ended the way it did. I hope coach Fitch proves me wrong and has future success with the Eagles.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

To the Eagles and especially the Seniors. Thank you for the entertainment and pleasure that you brought to this old Eagle. I have enjoyed following you throughout this year and you boys have nothing to hang your heads about. You accomplished many great things, but came up a just little bit short on the tourney trail. This will not determine who you are, but in life a man is judged how he responds to set backs and if he can pick himself up and continue on. This is only a sport and there are greater things ahead for you. Take the wonderful memories and bonds of friendship that you have created and play the game of life the way you played the game of basketball. Heads up and full speed!

This wonderful sport has helped mold you into something that you will not realize until you have had the opportunity to step away and look back at all the great times and experiences that you were fortunate to have experienced. The leadership qualities, team work, dedication, work ethic and many more quality character traits that you have developed, will only make you a better person for your future endeavors. I am proud of all of you and wish you the best in whatever path you decide to travel as an adult. Once again, thank you!

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

:aaaaa115
Last edited by live4sport on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

CoachFitch
Riding the Bench

Post by CoachFitch »

Again, only because this stuff is upsetting my players, will I comment. I want to thank the players, parents, my staff, and community for their support throughout the past season. I appreciate those that are trying to have “my Back” on here so to speak but I also appreciate those that are critical. I expect it and that is ok. It goes with the job.

However, some are trying to diminish my team’s accomplishment of an undefeated SOC I championship by saying the SOC1 is weak. You are not hurting or critiquing my coaching ability by typing such things. You are just hurting my players and they (as myself) are hurting bad enough with the disappointing end to our season. This team went 14-0 in league play and that has not been accomplished at our school since 1989. If you think it is easy to win on the road in the SOCI then you are mistaken. I think the players need APPLAUDED for that effort. This team set a new record for fewest points allowed that has stood since 1983. Did my kids achieve this because they play weak competition or because my kids play hard and with heart? I choose the latter! Our team finished 17-3. In my eyes, the boys are 17-0 and I am 0-3. I take full responsibility for every loss and most certainly the loss to Southern.

As to the last play, from the stands I am sure that it seemed odd because the play was not designed to be a full court pass. The play was designed to get McVey the ball off an initial screen up the sideline. Poor execution resulted in a “panic” play. Montgomery did the right thing to avoid the 5 second call as I was out of timeouts. I accept full responsibility for the lack of execution.

As to all of this Coach Caldwell comparison debate and back and forth, it is very silly. There is no comparison and I don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breathe. Jeff’s teams have achieved 3 conference titles and 3 sectional titles in his 9 years at Eastern as a head coach. Jeff went on to earn his first District title at Southern last season and I was ecstatic for him. My resume pales in comparison. HOWEVER, I am proud of my team winning the SOC1 this season because of all the hard work that went into it. Still, I will not rest until Eastern basketball is once again a major player at the District level and beyond on a consistent basis. For me, the 2010-2011 basketball season starts backup in about a month and I can’t wait.

Good luck to Southern the rest of the way.

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

Coach,
Very well said!
Best of luck to you & the Eagles in the 2010-2011 season!

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Ryanexpress wrote:Coach,
Very well said!
Best of luck to you & the Eagles in the 2010-2011 season!

Agree Ryanexpress. Very humble post. Keep working hard Coach Fitch and the sectional/District titles will come. Overall, IMHO, you and the team accimplished many good things this season!

If you had asked the average person in the community if they would have been happy with a 17-3 mark and an Undefeated SOC Champions TEAM this season....even the few that are critical...would have took it in a heartbeat!

southeastmeigs
Waterboy

Post by southeastmeigs »

It is so nice to hear so many positvie comments about a "former coach" of a school. Usually when a coach moves on, the comments are so negative from the prior school. I think you ALL are a class act! I know Jeff Caldwell and I know that he appreciates the comments. And you are also right - Jeff Caldwell is a very good human being.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Bottom line, the better coaches reside in the TVC. As for ftrbkstr, why in the world are you trying to spin this game into something positive about your coaching ability? Just wondering. :roll:

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Coach Fitch,
Spoken like all great coaches!!! Put/take the blame for losses on your shoulders and give all the wins to the players!!! You are a CLASSY man and a great role model for your players!!! Don't listen to all those haters out there, I bet there are way more Coach Fitch supporters than not!!!
I truly think that all those non Coach Fitch believers should be ashamed of themselves for getting on here and saying the negative things about you and your team. You just keep being the classy man that you are and you will be just fine!!!
I can say from an officials point of view-Players never say an ill word to an official and Coach Fitch has never screamed or said an ill word toward me!! CLASSY !!
P.S. I sent you an email today, before I saw this ridiculous post!!!

easternclaw
Waterboy

Post by easternclaw »

Very humble post. It is sad that some people probably didn't expect eastern to win the SOC, several didn't expect them to win it outright, most surely didn't expect them to go undefeated, and none expected them to break a new school record with defense! after these fans saw how good of a team eastern had become over the summer, instead of being happy for what they achieved because they never expected any of it, they went around blaming the coach for every bad thing that happened. losing in the sectional was disapointing. in my opinion, i considered it to be an upset b/c i thought eastern was the better team... but sometimes those things happen. i think coach fitch has done a great job with the boys this year.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Well said coach Fitch. Coach Caldwell is a tough coach to follow. He was and is one of the best coaches in southern ohio. Not to mention a great person. The players have nothing to be ashamed of. They had a great season and exceeded the expectations of many. Hope to see coach Fitch continue to improve and put more numbers on the banners. Good luck Eagles.

Return to “Boys Basketball”