Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

javagt
Varsity

Re: Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

Post by javagt »

Should be a great game .... Maybe a repeat of last nights game @ Logan ......

tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger2012 »

Will this game be on the radio??

toast
All State

Post by toast »

98.7 FM

Logan Elm up 9-7 a couple minutes into 2nd quarter.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Halftime

15-14 Logan Elm

toast
All State

Post by toast »

End of 3

24-23 Elm

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Any change?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Final

36-32 Logan Elm

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

was it defense???

toast
All State

Post by toast »

It sounded like both teams were very patient, well disciplined and played good defense.

The announcers from Vinton County were not real happy that they let Logan Elm run so much time off the clock before they fouled. Said the coach was screaming at them to foul and they wouldn't. Then when they did foul they fouled the wrong person in Blake.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Neutral fan here. Just got back to C-bus @ 9:15. The game started at 7:00 and was complete by 8:15 including halftime and the fouls in the 4th quarter alone I believe accounted for 15 minutes. The first 3 quarters the refs kept their whistles in their pockets as it looked a lot like 3 quarters of a Rugby match, 4th and goal in football or a good old fashioned wrestling match. A lot of elbows, diving, hand checking and all was let go for 3 quarters and had a lot to do with the fast timing of the game. When VC tried to catchup in the 4th the fouls came in bunches. Logan Elm couln't put them away as they missed a few free throws and VC played in your face defense all night. I was sitting right behind the VC bench and their coach did a good job of substituting all night to try to get the right matchups but in the end it wasn't enough. Both teams played very good defense and neither team deserved to lose. I think LE coming in thought they could go inside a lot more but the Guthrie kid did a good job on Hausermann. VC's guards impressed me with their defense against a usually good shooting LE team and made them take quite a few long three's that were bad misses. The Ward kid for VC drew a big technical foul on the other side of the floor that I couldn't see and I think that was a big turning point in the game. Both sides fans were pretty vociferous all night long toward the refs but the physical play continued and all the players on both teams left it all on the floor. I definitely got my monies worth.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

This was a great game!! Both teams played great "D" and it showed by the final score. VC had thier chances just couldnt seem to hit "the big shot" all night. Refs were inconsistant but imho did not change the outcome. They called nothing in the 1st half and in the 2nd called some cheap stuff. IMO the turning point was the T called on Ward in the 4th. Still not sure why it was called but it with out a doubt really hurt VC. Great game Vikes nothing to be ashamed of.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Tech foul was called on Ward right in front of me...Basically what happened was LE was running up the sideline and Ward was right with him. It looked as if the LE player lost control of the ball and a foul was called. Ward turned to the ref and asked what he did...Not in a smart way. He just simply asked. Not sure if the ref thought he said something else or exactly what he was thinking...but he gave the T instantly. VC played a great game...I think their gameplan was to slow it down and stick it to LE's shooters. LE had about 5 or 6 wide open shots and connected on most of them..The had some really bad misses when VC was in their face..The refing was very inconsitant from the fist half to the second. At one point midway through the 4th quarter with VC down by 4 and not in a fouling situation, the fouls were VC-10 LE-3... VC gave the Braves all they wanted and have nothing to be ashamed of. The Vikings showed tonight that despite their record, they are still a top team in the DII SE district. Had VC positioned themselves on the other side of the bracket, I think they would, without quetion, gotten out of the Sectional. Great gameplan tonight Coach...VC has lost 6 games this year by a combined total of 23 points...Not too shabby.

Logan Elm is a VERY good team and played very diciplined. They have great ball handlers and rarely got themselves into a bad situation. Great size and speed as well. Good luck at the Convo!!!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I was really hoping for a VC win.

Another very good season of basketball at VC.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Dundas wrote:The Tech foul was called on Ward right in front of me...Basically what happened was LE was running up the sideline and Ward was right with him. It looked as if the LE player lost control of the ball and a foul was called. Ward turned to the ref and asked what he did...Not in a smart way. He just simply asked. Not sure if the ref thought he said something else or exactly what he was thinking...but he gave the T instantly. VC played a great game...I think their gameplan was to slow it down and stick it to LE's shooters. LE had about 5 or 6 wide open shots and connected on most of them..The had some really bad misses when VC was in their face..The refing was very inconsitant from the fist half to the second. At one point midway through the 4th quarter with VC down by 4 and not in a fouling situation, the fouls were VC-10 LE-3... VC gave the Braves all they wanted and have nothing to be ashamed of. The Vikings showed tonight that despite their record, they are still a top team in the DII SE district. Had VC positioned themselves on the other side of the bracket, I think they would, without quetion, gotten out of the Sectional. Great gameplan tonight Coach...VC has lost 6 games this year by a combined total of 23 points...Not too shabby. Logan Elm is a VERY good team and played very diciplined. They have great ball handlers and rarely got themselves into a bad situation. Great size and speed as well. Good luck at the Convo!!!

When the player (Ward) came back over to the bench the VC coaches asked him what went on and he said "I didn't do anything wrong and he said all he asked the ref was what he did".

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

good game by both teams... Bith teams played very good "d" all night and both were victim of some bad no calls by the refs.. I was very dissapointed by Hauserman... Big kid but not athletic at all, slow and very weak for his size.. He got pushed around all game by a kid 4" shorter than him..

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

FANOSPORTS wrote:Neutral fan here. Just got back to C-bus @ 9:15. The game started at 7:00 and was complete by 8:15 including halftime and the fouls in the 4th quarter alone I believe accounted for 15 minutes. The first 3 quarters the refs kept their whistles in their pockets as it looked a lot like 3 quarters of a Rugby match, 4th and goal in football or a good old fashioned wrestling match. A lot of elbows, diving, hand checking and all was let go for 3 quarters and had a lot to do with the fast timing of the game. When VC tried to catchup in the 4th the fouls came in bunches. Logan Elm couln't put them away as they missed a few free throws and VC played in your face defense all night. I was sitting right behind the VC bench and their coach did a good job of substituting all night to try to get the right matchups but in the end it wasn't enough. Both teams played very good defense and neither team deserved to lose. I think LE coming in thought they could go inside a lot more but the Guthrie kid did a good job on Hausermann. VC's guards impressed me with their defense against a usually good shooting LE team and made them take quite a few long three's that were bad misses. The Ward kid for VC drew a big technical foul on the other side of the floor that I couldn't see and I think that was a big turning point in the game. Both sides fans were pretty vociferous all night long toward the refs but the physical play continued and all the players on both teams left it all on the floor. I definitely got my monies worth.

IMO, You hit the nail right on the head. Your post seems pretty accurate to what I witnessed.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Looks like it is Baseball season Vikes!!! Great year. You did the TVC proud!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I will tell you the reason for the technical. The referee said that Grillo had blocked the offensive player off of his path up the floor, behind Grillo was Ward. Ward just happen to turn and see the player coming, he raised his arm to protect himself. The referee called a blocking foul on Grillo and then a technical on Ward for "chucking" the offensive player. When the coaches were able to talk to the referee, they asked did he say anything? The referee replied, quoting "No. He kinda chuck him, coach." Ward said after the game, he was surprised and saw the player running at him, he just reacted. The referee in question I have seen officiate 15 times over the past five seasons, there has never been a game that he doesn't "T" someone up.

However, someone correct me if I wrong, but the "technical" was the wrong call. There was already one foul called; therefore, a dead ball situation, so would the right call be a "flagrant" foul call? Either way, I say it was bogus. But, it is not what beat us tonight. Very cold shooting, maybe you could credit Logan Elm's defense for that.
Last edited by hawkeyepierce on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I will tell you what the reason for the technical. The referee said that Grillo had blocked the offensive player off of his path up the floor, behind Grillo was Ward. Ward just happen to turn and see the player coming, he raised his arm to protect himself. The referee called a blocking foul on Grillo and then a technical on Ward for "chucking" the offensive player. When the coaches were able to talk to the referee, they asked did he say anything? The referee replied, quoting "No. He kinda chuck him, coach." Ward said after the game, he was surprised and saw the player running at him, he just reacted. The referee in question I have seen officiate 15 times over the past five seasons, there has never been a game that he doesn't "T" someone up.

However, someone correct me if I wrong, but the "technical" was the wrong call. There was already one foul called; therefore, a dead ball situation, so would the right call be a "flagrant" foul call? Either way, I say it was bogus. But, it is not what beat us tonight. Very cold shooting, maybe you could credit Logan Elm's defense for that.

I was on the other side of the floor from where it happened but with the first foul being called on Grillo then it was a dead ball but a technical can be assessed and/or called at anytime if warranted I believe ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Vinton County played a nice game. Very good on defense, up in you, and were very, very patient on offense and dictated the tempo except for a streak in the first quarter and another in the fourth by Logan Elm. VC is a nice ballclub and one of the better programs in SE Ohio D2.

As for Logan Elm, they didn't do a very good job of working its offense, especially in the second quarter. They need to move around more and inside-outside a lot more. Too many threes settled for. They need to take it to another level if they want to beat Waverly.

Return to “Boys Basketball”