Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

ball hound wrote:good game by both teams... Bith teams played very good "d" all night and both were victim of some bad no calls by the refs.. I was very dissapointed by Hauserman... Big kid but not athletic at all, slow and very weak for his size.. He got pushed around all game by a kid 4" shorter than him..

Hey, his mom played for the Tennessee Lady Vols and Pat Summitt so she should be able to get him motivated you would think !!!!!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Logan Elm's defense was really good tonight. Offense wasn't doing great, but VC's defense and the tempo of their offense had a lot to do with it (they held the ball for almost the entire first two minutes of the 3rd). Way to go Braves! Keep the ball rolling and get ready for Basketball :30!!

As for Vinton County, I can't say enough how impressed I was. Your fans have A LOT to be proud of for the year you had. You are indeed a top 4 program in DII southeast district. You put yourselves in the best possible chance to win and just fell short. Great game and great season!

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Great Post, LoganElm_grad09! Best of luck to you folks at the Convo. Coach Robertson & some Waverly folks sat right behind me taking lots of notes. That should be a great matchup.

VC has nothing to hang their heads about......Great game planning by Coach Combs and his staff, wonderful effort from THE TEAM(you guys played Great), and a Fan following that any program would be proud of.

IMO, the officiating had nothing to do with the overall outcome of the game, however, the moron who called the T needs to go. I've seen this clown do roughly 12 games in the past several years and he always seems to find away to T someone up or draw attention to himself. That's not what High School Sports should be about!

Again, congrats to Logan Elm. You guys have a very nice program up there.
Last edited by Ty Webb on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
ball hound wrote:good game by both teams... Bith teams played very good "d" all night and both were victim of some bad no calls by the refs.. I was very dissapointed by Hauserman... Big kid but not athletic at all, slow and very weak for his size.. He got pushed around all game by a kid 4" shorter than him..

Hey, his mom played for the Tennessee Lady Vols and Pat Summitt so she should be able to get him motivated you would think !!!!!

Heard Hauserman was going to college and play football

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

^^You heard correct; he's playing at DII Saginaw Valley State University.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

Maybe he going to be on the team. Maybe because he is six foot eigt. Maybe becuase he has good grades. But not because he is athletic, strong, or tough. I saw him against Chillicothe early he did impress me.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Just wanted to thank Coach Combs and the Vikings for another great year of High School Basketball. Coach, you have built the Vinton County Basketball team into a program second to none in our area. You have remained committed, dedicated, and continue to build on the Basketball Program on all levels. To the Senior Vikings. It has been a pure pleasure to watch you all, from biddie league players to Seniors Players. I hope all of you success in whatever you do after High School. You all are achievers and will do well. To the Underclassmen. Look forward to seeing you get after it again next year. With the talent the Reserve Vikings, and Freshmen had this year, we will be fine for years to come.

To the T happy ref. Hope you feel better today. You just had to make sure you got some attention. That call did not beat us, a Excellant Logan Elm team did. In reality, it made the ref seem like a jerk. To the Logan Elm Coaches and players. Good luck from here on out. You have a team that can go far. Good luck against Waverly. It should be a great game, but I think you can win.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

How things could have been different...

If Adam Blake's grandpa, Ray, hadn't moved to Chillicothe in the early 70's when Adam's daddy, Rex, was going into the 8th or 9th grade, then Adam and all the other Blakes who have blessed Logan Elm with their athletic efforts would have ended up playing for the Vinton County Vikings.

Imagine what Combs would have done with those guys in the maroon and white. Just a little day-dreaming on my part.

Good luck to the Braves in the Convo. The ref who called the T was totally wrong if nothing was said by the Viking player. It was the turning point in my opinion. Great season Vikings.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Ty Webb & 74 Vike are correct. That official is certainly no stranger to making technical foul calls at crucial times in virtually every game he calls and that is a shame. Good luck to the LE Braves.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I will tell you the reason for the technical. The referee said that Grillo had blocked the offensive player off of his path up the floor, behind Grillo was Ward. Ward just happen to turn and see the player coming, he raised his arm to protect himself. The referee called a blocking foul on Grillo and then a technical on Ward for "chucking" the offensive player. When the coaches were able to talk to the referee, they asked did he say anything? The referee replied, quoting "No. He kinda chuck him, coach." Ward said after the game, he was surprised and saw the player running at him, he just reacted. The referee in question I have seen officiate 15 times over the past five seasons, there has never been a game that he doesn't "T" someone up.

However, someone correct me if I wrong, but the "technical" was the wrong call. There was already one foul called; therefore, a dead ball situation, so would the right call be a "flagrant" foul call? Either way, I say it was bogus. But, it is not what beat us tonight. Very cold shooting, maybe you could credit Logan Elm's defense for that.

Wasn't there but "Intentionally or flagrantly contacting an opponent when the ball is dead and such contact is not a personal foul." The penalty is a technical foul. NFHS rule book, rule 10-7. If he "kinda of chucked him" that doesn't sound like it was flagrant but was intentional. How is someone who gives a "T" every game he works able to get post season games???

3sportdad
Waterboy

Post by 3sportdad »

I would just like to know why "kinda chucked him" is a Technical foul, but was putting the elbow to em ALL NIGHT LONG wasn't even a foul! LE could not move the ball without throwin elbows around from where I was sitting.

I believe, at least at tourney time, that the refs should have someone from their conference or somewhere critiquing these guys. Maybe these games would be called better. It deffinately would be better for the kids playing. NOT saying that the refs decided the game, but this WOULD keep them from doing so.

GOOD LUCK to LE at the CONVO! IMHO you are going to need it! GO TIGERS!!!!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Pretty respectful dialogue throughout, but I think you folks need to lay off the Hauserman kid. If someone from LE was calling out a VC kid by name things would be off the hook by now. I guess he had absolutely nothing to do with his team's win over VC . . .

Sorry, I hate individual criticism of high-school athletes.

Anyway, congrats to VC on a great season (as usual). Thanks to Mr. Grillo and company for inviting a couple of our Warren kids to play AAU with the Storm. They are great folks and good friends.

Hope to see LE in a week or so.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Tossithigh wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I will tell you the reason for the technical. The referee said that Grillo had blocked the offensive player off of his path up the floor, behind Grillo was Ward. Ward just happen to turn and see the player coming, he raised his arm to protect himself. The referee called a blocking foul on Grillo and then a technical on Ward for "chucking" the offensive player. When the coaches were able to talk to the referee, they asked did he say anything? The referee replied, quoting "No. He kinda chuck him, coach." Ward said after the game, he was surprised and saw the player running at him, he just reacted. The referee in question I have seen officiate 15 times over the past five seasons, there has never been a game that he doesn't "T" someone up.

However, someone correct me if I wrong, but the "technical" was the wrong call. There was already one foul called; therefore, a dead ball situation, so would the right call be a "flagrant" foul call? Either way, I say it was bogus. But, it is not what beat us tonight. Very cold shooting, maybe you could credit Logan Elm's defense for that.

Wasn't there but "Intentionally or flagrantly contacting an opponent when the ball is dead and such contact is not a personal foul." The penalty is a technical foul. NFHS rule book, rule 10-7. If he "kinda of chucked him" that doesn't sound like it was flagrant but was intentional. How is someone who gives a "T" every game he works able to get post season games???

The point is that there was NO intent or malice, just happenstance. And that is a very good question tossithigh. I believe that there are great officials in the Southeast District and there are a few that are continuing to develop their skills. However, I am appalled with officials, skilled or unskilled, who think they are above the game and often interject themselves into the game to grab attention. The last time I'd checked, ticket-paying people do not come to see officials officiate.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

That kid may be 4" shorter, but he is also one of the most physically strong teenagers you would ever meet. He could easily outlift most men that post on here.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

warrnwarriorfan wrote:Pretty respectful dialogue throughout, but I think you folks need to lay off the Hauserman kid. If someone from LE was calling out a VC kid by name things would be off the hook by now. I guess he had absolutely nothing to do with his team's win over VC . . .

Sorry, I hate individual criticism of high-school athletes.

Anyway, congrats to VC on a great season (as usual). Thanks to Mr. Grillo and company for inviting a couple of our Warren kids to play AAU with the Storm. They are great folks and good friends.

Hope to see LE in a week or so.

THANK YOU!

Return to “Boys Basketball”