Peebles vs. NA

Peebles Mamma Bear
Waterboy

Peebles vs. NA

Post by Peebles Mamma Bear »

First of all, congrats to the Peebles boys for a game well played! It's a pleasure to watch and cheer for such a good group of young men! This being said, I do have an issue that will be the topic of my first and probably last post on this forum. I was very disappointed (and I have to admit angry) when my son and the rest of the boys wasn't allowed to participate in the celebratory cutting of the net after the game. According to Coach Lawhorn only 10 players were to be allowed this priviledge (although the cheerleaders participated). My son has been with the team from the beginning of the season, going to every practice, coming home sweaty and bruised from being used as a punching bag, and doing this willingly without complaint. He puts his heart into doing what he can to help this team succeed. Coach Lawhorn's decision to allow only the first 10 players to get up on that ladder shows a lack of appreciation for what the practice squad brings to the game.

usnavyshoe
Waterboy

Re: Peebles vs. NA

Post by usnavyshoe »

They really only let 10 players cut down a piece of the net?

bring-it-on
Waterboy

Post by bring-it-on »

That's awful!!! How did they decide who participated? I don't blame you for being upset. BAD DECISION !!!

rooster
Freshman Team

Post by rooster »

Cheerleaders didn't need to cut the net instead of the ballplayers, that's ridiculous. I didn't know that happened. I'm sorry for the boys who didn't get to participate.

indians10
Riding the Bench

Post by indians10 »

Can anyone explain why it was done that way?Is there a coach that could clear up why it was done that way?

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

Who decides who gets to climb up on the ladder and get a piece of the net? The Coach? If it was Lawhorns decision I wonder what he was thinking by not letting the entire team enjoy a piece of the "limelight". I agree that the ENTIRE team played a part in the Indians becomming Sectional Champs! I didn't stay after the game so I didn't see this take place but please help me understand. Did the cheerleaders get to cut pieces of the net? IMO if this happened coach lawhorn needs to let the team as a whole enjoy a win like this in games to come (if they are lucky enough to win at Athens)!

indianmaniac
Riding the Bench

Post by indianmaniac »

I noticed the same thing! IMO it seems the bench gets NO respect! I'm not to sure this isn't fairly common, but it shouldn't be. I was also pretty upset when I saw some of the Peebles players(off the bench) get held back from getting in the game as soon as they were brought up to go in. One player in paticular was held up by two of the coaches and not allowed to check in when a fellow team member was going in. He was made to wait until the next dead ball. These kids have pride too! I understand trying to get a standing ovation for the player coming out, but to what extent? I know our fans would stand and applaud whether they came out one or two at a time. I love Indian basketball but I love the kids more! Congrats to the Peebles Indians. Lets keep it going.....we're behind you.

I wasn't sure I was going to mention this, but I want Peebles Mamma Bear to know that this loyal fan does care about and apperciate ALL the boys!

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

indianmaniac, I think I remember what you were referring to but there are certain times a player can go in....they can't just get up off the bench and go in....they have to be let in by the scorer's table and it may have been that it wasn't a dead ball situation or something.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

I guess, while I understand everyone's comments, there are oftentimes explanations for things but instead of asking for those explanations with the appropriate people at the appropriate times we let emotions take over and we jump the gun. I've done that myself. I just think we get a lot of negativity from everyone else already so why bring it upon ourselves. This is a forum that is read by everyone allover the state and this kind of thing just makes us look like we don't even support ourselves. And it doesn't do anything but fuel a fire. I think as a parent or concerned fan...go to the source....ask something if you want to know but don't do something that just contributes to tearing down our program. That only hurts the kids instead of helps.

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

shljunkie wrote:I guess, while I understand everyone's comments, there are oftentimes explanations for things but instead of asking for those explanations with the appropriate people at the appropriate times we let emotions take over and we jump the gun. I've done that myself. I just think we get a lot of negativity from everyone else already so why bring it upon ourselves. This is a forum that is read by everyone allover the state and this kind of thing just makes us look like we don't even support ourselves. And it doesn't do anything but fuel a fire. I think as a parent or concerned fan...go to the source....ask something if you want to know but don't do something that just contributes to tearing down our program. That only hurts the kids instead of helps.

Isn't that kinda what these forums are for, to ask questions and make statements? Your right that these comments are read by individuals statewide but not without 1st clicking on a desired topic.

goindians42
Riding the Bench

Post by goindians42 »

I, along with a bunch of others were taking pictures of the net cutting--Coach Lawhorn was doing his interview with C103. I know for a fact that the bench players were told to go to the other end of the gym and cut down that net. I looked around and wondered why they did not go. After a few minutes, the cheerleaders went down there to cut it down. I am not sure why some of the boys hesitated about going on the other end. A man was there with a ladder and scissors ready for action. Anyone who thinks that John Lawhorn does not appreciate the bench players and how they help the team in practice is very much mistaken!!!
Let's not get a bitter taste in our mouth and ruin this moment for our guys!! I have been on a team and not gotten to cut a piece of the net---am I OK??? You bet!! I was proud to be an Indian and still am!! GO INDIANS!!

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Sorry had to delete my opinion because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings! :roll: :roll:
Last edited by slamdunk on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

good idea to contain yourself slamdunk...esp in your position. Very important as adults and professionals to learn to keep your personal feelings out of something...it tends to cloud our vision. Again, unless the horses mouth is asked....this is doing nothing but fueling fire.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

slamdunk....to quote you as being "ALWAYS 100% FOR THE KIDS"........making comments like this just because you didn't continue to keep your job as a coach at Peebles or whatever the personal issue you have is......about their coach on a site that all of them read is unprofessional and very disrespectful.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Read my previous post! :roll: :roll:
Last edited by slamdunk on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

..... :roll: :roll:
Last edited by slamdunk on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

Everyone is allowed to have opinions....that wasn't the question. The point was....don't say you are 100% for kids then do something that can hurt them and bring negativity to what is a very good time for them right now....they don't need that. That is what I mean about being professional....we all have opinions and we are all entitled to them slamdunk...but as adults there are appropriate and inappropriate times to speak them. If someone got on here and bashed your coaching staff at NA.....I'm pretty sure you would have a lot to say about it....give us that same respect.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

slamdunk, did shljunkie out your identity? I've heard you say several times on here that you were a coach.

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

Yeah, it really wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to find out slamdunk's identity as he has all but given it away himself in numerous posts. My question is this, how do you know positively that Lawhorn had a say in the postgame festivities?

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Same comment as my first comment on this post! :roll: :roll:
Last edited by slamdunk on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”