SE District DII Semi: Logan Elm vs. Waverly

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: SE District DII Semi: Logan Elm vs. Waverly

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Malone in trouble with the officials. Looks like Robertson gets him to the bench before a big T. Tigers need to keep their cool. Radio says Kretzer a little upset and arguing earlier. Can't get frustated. Only down 6 and plenty of time.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pdracing23 wrote:Tigers coming unglued.

LE 42

Waverly 36

Malone just ejected from the game

WKKJ says they got him out just in time. I wonder which station is correct. Regardless, not a good time to lose his cool.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

Are they saying anything about the officiating on wkkj Hitchbone? Obviously the Waverly station would be a little biased.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pdracing23 wrote:Are they saying anything about the officiating on wkkj Hitchbone? Obviously the Waverly station would be a little biased.

Nothing either way. WKKJ announcers are both from Ross County and pretty unbiased. They think the Tiger players are arguing to much. Only controverial call was Robacks travel which they said was legit.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

46-38 with just over two minutes. LE will be tough to come back on. They are a veteran team and do not get rattled. I thought Waverly needed to get this game in the mid 50s to win. I have not seen where they pushed the ball much at all (at least in the second half). Martin is really the only offense that has showed up with 20 total.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

Yeah thats what i figured. Even the Waverly station is complaining about the Waverly players arguing with the officials. They just also seem to think the officials have missed a lot of calls. I have ties to both programs so i don't have a preference as to whom wins. Sounds like Waverly just had a monumental break down in the 3rd.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The old Logan Chieftain Stiverson sure can coach. Down 5 at half and go up by six after 3. I'm not to worried though but if Coach Hawhee were still there I'd be worried about a Waverly comeback.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pdracing23 wrote:Yeah thats what i figured. Even the Waverly station is complaining about the Waverly players arguing with the officials. They just also seem to think the officials have missed a lot of calls. I have ties to both programs so i don't have a preference as to whom wins. Sounds like Waverly just had a monumental break down in the 3rd.

I agree. I am close to the Waverly program, but as most know I am a Cavalier, so I know both programs. I thought Waverly had the talent to win this thing, but Waverly is not going to score 20 points in the 2nd half.

LE plays like Stiverson coaches. They are in control.

49-40 1:19 to go

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Martin has 10 of Waverlys 13 pts this half. Thomas must be all over Kretzer (according to the radio). Can't get it done with one guy scoring. Chilly found that out last week.

Blake has 20 plus. Hauserman has 13.

Kretzer fouls out with 10.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

52-40 Final Score. Wow...What a change from half to half.

Logan Elm advances to face either Washington C.H. or Warren. I have seen both play. Good 8:00 game upcoming. Both can play with LE, but neither have much size to deal with Hauserman and Pritchard on the glass.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

I agree hitchbone. I played for Coach Stiverson and know personally just how great a coach he his. He does a lot more for that program than just win basketball games. I was lucky enough to play for both Stiverson and Van Metre during my high school days and i will tell you right now there is none better than Coach Doug Stiverson. He has made it second nature to get 20 plus wins a season at LE.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Stats from WKKJ...

Martin 22
Kretzer 10
Roback 6
Kelly 2

LE

Blake 20
Hauserman 13
Wayley 6
Pritchard 11
Thomas 2

Overall

Waverly 13 Turnovers to Logan Elm 9

LE wins battle of boards 25-20 (not sure on that one)

Foul Line Waverly Tigers 4-4 LE 15-23 (Tigers foul alot in 2nd half)

Field Goals

Tigers 17-40 2-6 from 3 ball

LE 16-34 5-13 from 3 ball

Final 52-40

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pdracing23 wrote:I agree hitchbone. I played for Coach Stiverson and know personally just how great a coach he his. He does a lot more for that program than just win basketball games. I was lucky enough to play for both Stiverson and Van Metre during my high school days and i will tell you right now there is none better than Coach Doug Stiverson. He has made it second nature to get 20 plus wins a season at LE.

You have played for two excellent coaches. As a Cavalier I love my Coach (Gary Kellough) and I will tell you from an X and O standpoint, these guys get it done and get the most out of kids.

Will be interesting next year, when Blake (excellent pt guard) leaves. He is the glue this year. Stiverson will find someone.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Stiverson on WKKJ. Felt their defense won the game in the 2nd half and says the kids did not panic. Felt they got the ball to Hauserman more and he either scored or made nice passes. (back door cuts and out to 3-ball players).

Stiverson gives much credit to Harrison Martin. Deservedly so.

Says Jake Thomas was the glue tonight and defensively on Kretzer in the 2nd half was a key.

I will update Robertson comments when he comes on.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Sounds like Hauserman picked his game up a little this week but it probably has a lot to do with what he's seen on SEOPS this week. No, just kidding but I don't think Waverly could match up with him as well as Vinton County did this past week with the Guthrie kid. Go Braves :aaaaa14

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

I would like to say Waverly had a good year and i guess they did win a sectional championship. There is a lot of talent on that team so finishing the year at 15-6 well it probably could have been better. They do have a promising future with 3 starters back next year including their top two scorers.

I am sure stiverson will just reload. I would look for Thomas to run the point for LE next season. They have a lot of holes to fill. I have seen the Elswick kid play a lot on the AAU circuit and the kid can be a real force next season. He has had a 19 and 20 point game this season when they have needed him to step up. Blake has a very high basketball IQ and will surely be missed. Stiverson rarely has more talent than the teams they beat so i am sure LE will be fine next season.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Logan Elm 15-23 from the line
Waverly 4-4 from the line (All Martin)
4 FREE THROWS FOR THE TIGERS ALL NIGHT

Logan Elm 4 second half fouls
Waverly 12 second half fouls
At one time it was 9-2
It was 7 (Waverly) to 4 (L.E.) in the first half.

THAT WAS STORY OF THIS GAME

I don't know what they were saying on the radio but I'd say Waverly's players were finally getting tired of it (reason for the arguing to the officials).
Robertson was going after the officials as they ran off the floor but was restrained by an assistant coach.

Regardless, you can't score 13 points in the 2nd half and expect to win very many ball games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/artic ... /100305019

FROM THE ARTICLE:
Logan Elm (21-2) put a hand in sophomore Jake Kretzer’s face the entire second half. Kretzer, who finished with 12 points, hit a 3-pointer to open up the third quarter and didn’t score again.

“They didn’t make any big (halftime) adjustments,” Waverly coach Travis Robertson said. “They just decided to take away Kretzer and play really physical and they were allowed to do it.”

With Kretzer out of the equation, the Tigers struggled to make things happen offensively. On the other end, the Braves pounded it inside to 6-foot-8 center Logan Hauserman. When Hauserman wasn’t hitting, Adam Blake and Cory Whaley had no problems lighting it up from the outside.

One of the biggest differences of the night came from the free throw line.

Logan Elm went 15-of-23, while Waverly made only two trips, finishing 4-of-4. With 2:27 remaining and the Tigers trailing 47-38, the Tigers had nine fouls to the Braves’ two.
Waverly was forced to foul, and Logan Elm hit 5-of-7 attempts down the stretch.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

The bottom line was scoring 13 points in the 2nd half.

The refs may not have made all the calls we wanted but they weren't shooting the basketball either or should i say lack thereof.
Last edited by Bring the Heat on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

I neglected in my earlier post to say congrats to the LE Braves and Coach Stiverson. They are a class program. Will be interested to hear others viewpoints as they roll back in tonight. Regardlass of the outcome, there is nothing like District/Regional hoops at the Convo.

Just read the stats and noticed that Waverly goes 12 for 23 in the first half (outstanding) to 5 for 17 in the second half. Conversely, LE goes 7 for 21 in the first half and bounce back with a smoking 9 for 13 in the second half.

One question I have for the Tiger faithful. I understand the Tigers ran pretty much man-to-man in the first half, but switched more to zone in the second half. Was that the case and if so why?

Return to “Boys Basketball”