SE District DII Semi: Logan Elm vs. Waverly

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: SE District DII Semi: Logan Elm vs. Waverly

Post by smurray »

No one is disputing or arguing whether or not Logan Elm is/was the better team. They should be the better team based on experience alone. They were a State final 4 team last year and their 4 main players are veteran seniors (Blake 20 points, Hauserman 13 points, Whaley 6 points, Pritchard 6 points). Only 2 points were scored by an underclassman. Give them all the credit for doing what they needed to do in the 2nd half to come back and win the ball game. They are a veteran group and stayed poised.

Waverly came out after half time and let the poor officiating take them out of their game. It's as simple as that. Blame it on the kids or the coaching or whatever but that's the case.

Orange colored blinders, shoe on the other foot, whining, whatever you want to say - I don't care, it doesn't change anything. I knew Waverly would have to play a nearly perfect game to win and that didn't happen.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Logan Elm is a fine team and I'll be pulling for them the rest of the way. I thought their kids handled themselves real well.

The officiating in the second half was very inconsistent. Waverly players getting hammered bringing the ball up the court resulted in no call. At least one very clean pick by Waverly which would have lead to an easy basket and a foul gets called. Go figure.

My friend had people from Warren and Court House tell him after the game Waverly got ripped off in the second half. That pretty much sums things up. Only 4 foul shots for Waverly the whole game in a contest that was very physical is just nuts. With that being said Logan Elm is the best team Waverly faced all season.

A very enjoyable and successful season for Waverly. Can't wait for next year. Go Tigers!

Doubleduece
Waterboy

Post by Doubleduece »

Waverly spent too much time worrying about the officaiting and not playing ball. This is on the coaching staff. Get your kids focused on the game and not the refs.

Waverly was the underdog and was playing right with the Braves. They should have worried about the game and not the refs. It is easy to take yourself out of the game and say it was the refs fault when you are the underdog. That is why Logan Elm wins most of their games.

Fouls were lopsided! We only shot 4 fouls shots! Then attack the rim, play aggressive, and dont let the refs take you out! What ever happened to a tough mentality!

Kids are weak these days, dont give them an excuse for losing.

Waverly had a great year, make them hungry for next season , dont tell them the only reason they arent playing on is because of the refs. Tell them they were not better than Logan Elm this year, but with hard work they will be in the regionals next year.

Go Waverly! Get better in the offseason and next year (no matter the officiating) you will be the best DII team on the court!

Underhill
Waterboy

Post by Underhill »

2010, I was at the game last night and Stiverson made a huge Adjustment at haltime when he put Thomas on Kretzer. I call that good coaching not poor officiating. It totally changed the game. Thomas did what Stiverson told him to do, Don't let Kretzer touch the ball, period! Did anyone on Waverly's team even attempt to set a pick to try to free him up for a shot while he was complaining on the baseline to his coach? Did Thomas complain when he got ran over twice, forearmed in the throat when the officials had to restrain Kretzer or when he was going after a loose ball and got tackled into the scorers table? Did you hear the accouncement before the game about being part of the OHSAA, being friendly rivals, and having good sportsmanship? I guess Robertson better go over that with his coaching staff and players overe the summer. Dont puninsh a kid for playing hard and doing what his coach told him to do. Logan Elm may not when another game this year but atleast they will shake hands with Warren this friday after the game and not chase after a ref because his kid got taken out of the game because of good defense. Think about it.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Amen!!!!!!!!Doubledeuce...they will be very good next year and if they play aggressive and keep there head in the game they will be a tough game for anybody. Had they not let their coaches and fans perception of officiating get into their heads they may have made that game closer or even pulled off the huge upset. :(

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

shouldn't hauserman be at adena? when was the last time a southeast team got to the regional finals without a recruit, i mean transfer.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Hey sparky!....news flash Northland H.S. Columbus, Ohio....kids want to play for a good program with good coaching, so they transfer...Dayton Dunbar same story...probably could research 20 programs in Ohio who have kids transfer...who would want to play at Adena?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Underhill,
Newsflash - No one is disputing the great coaching job Stiverson did and the adjustments he made at halftime. LOGAN ELM WAS THE BETTER TEAM! REPRESENT THE SOUTHEAST WELL!

Who is on here "punishing" any of the Braves players? I haven't seen any posts to that affect.
And I'll say it again: the veteran Braves stayed poised, Waverly didn't.

You need to get your facts straight though, as far as I saw everyone shook hands with the Braves.

Tiger 71
Waterboy

Post by Tiger 71 »

Final Score Logan Elm 52 and Waverly 40.
Logan Elm made it to the state final 4.
Logan Elm had 4 returning senior players.
Logan Elm got to shoot from the line 15 of 23.
Waverly got to shoot from the line 4 of 4.

I did not get to go to the game, but it is clear why Logan Elm won.
How could a state team go to the final 4 and not be as or equally aggressive.
Go Figure. 15 minus 4 is 11. 23 minus 4 is 19. The officials handed the game to one team and one team only.

Underhill
Waterboy

Post by Underhill »

This is a ridiculous arguement. I told you, I'm not trying to disrespect you. The FACTS are, I was in the second row last night and Robertson went after the ref right after the game and the assistant coach had to pull him back and by the time he was finished Stiverson and half the team was almost in the locker room. And there have been numerous post about Hauserman being lazy, only being on the team because his mother played for Pat Summit, etc, etc. And you said the refs were bias against Waverly, Kretzer and Robertson. That's were I said, Give Thomas credit for playing defense and for changing the game. These are high school kids, but everyone wants to blame it on the refs, coaches, etc. Ive been to every LE game this year and the refs have been terrible in 80% of the games but the 2 loses they had this year was because of poor play, not because of the refs. Waverly had a good season just leave it at that.

Tiger 71
Waterboy

Post by Tiger 71 »

At least I do not pick on the kids or coaches. I just call it how I see it. We have all played ball before and it is not wise for it to be lopsided. My next comment would be, I bet Logan Elm will lose the next game because without the shots from the line their score would have been 37.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Logan Elm was the better team, no one is disputing that.

This issue has nothing to do with LE, the problem for the past few years has been with Chad Jenkins and the Waverly program. Whether he does a game in the waverly gym, OU or the playground. He has some beef with Waverly, he has done it as long as he has referee'd them. His mother teaches at Waverly, you would think he would at least be neutral! ha!

Problem isn't with the coaches, he has done this through many coaches over the years.

Anyone know what his beef with Waverly is?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Underhill,
I doubt any of the posts about Hauserman being lazy have come from Waverly.

I saw Robertson start to go after the refs and an assistant refrain him. It all happened very quickly and he was back in line in time to shake hands. Stiverson and half the Logan Elm team was not nearly in the locker room - COME ON MAN!

I said Chad Jenkins is biased against Waverly or Robertson and will stick by that, not based on this one game alone. It has been that way for the past 3 years. The guy should not be permitted to officiate Waverly games, PERIOD! His hatred for Waverly or Robertson is obvious.

I'll give Thomas credit just like I said Logan Elm is/was the better team and did what they had to do to win. Thomas did what his coach told him to do and what the officials permitted him to do. Smart coaching and playing. NO beef at all with Stiverson or Logan Elm.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Doubleduece wrote:Waverly spent too much time worrying about the officaiting and not playing ball. This is on the coaching staff. Get your kids focused on the game and not the refs.

Waverly was the underdog and was playing right with the Braves. They should have worried about the game and not the refs. It is easy to take yourself out of the game and say it was the refs fault when you are the underdog. That is why Logan Elm wins most of their games.

Fouls were lopsided! We only shot 4 fouls shots! Then attack the rim, play aggressive, and dont let the refs take you out! What ever happened to a tough mentality!

Kids are weak these days, dont give them an excuse for losing.

Waverly had a great year, make them hungry for next season , dont tell them the only reason they arent playing on is because of the refs. Tell them they were not better than Logan Elm this year, but with hard work they will be in the regionals next year.

Go Waverly! Get better in the offseason and next year (no matter the officiating) you will be the best DII team on the court!

Couldn't agree more. I wasn't at the game, and I will definately call officials out and hold them responsible if they do not do their job well but there are no excuses that need to be made. If the refs cost you ten points, outplay the other team by 11. If they cost you 20, outplay them by 21. The quality of refs I have seen this year as a whole was terrible, but I HATE excuses. Waverly will be very good next year and lost to a better team this year.

Also, people need to quit whining about "transfers". It happens EVERYWHERE. Kids move for "non-sports" reasons far more than they do for sports reasons. If a kid does move for a "sports reason", so be it. This is America and we can do what we think is best to make us happy, or successful. If I were a good basketball player(which I'm not) I would want to play for a good coach also. Around here, if I were a potential D1 recruit, I would sure as heck be moving to either L.E., Chilli, maybe Waverly, or a Columbus area school. If you are a Waverly fan, you can't even bring up this argument anyway without looking in the mirror. Your best player is a "transfer" from Paint Valley. C'MON MAN.

Good luck to L.E. the rest of the season and to Waverly next year.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"If the refs cost you ten points, outplay the other team by 11. If they cost you 20, outplay them by 21."

That's what you tell kids before the game starts or at halftime when you couldn't catch a break from the officials. And I'm sure that's what the Waverly coaches told the kids during the game. This game is over and done. It doesn't hurt to discuss what took place last night and it won't affect how hard they practice in the off season.

The stark reality was the disparity in foul shots for two teams that BOTH played hard physical ball was egregious. (24 to 4) That's just a fact.

I felt like Waverly got the shot end of the stick from the officials in the second half. I've heard from many neutral observers who felt the same way. No beef with Logan Elm and I'm pulling for them from here on out. That's one nice team!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

We can hash it over and over and over again and each person is going to see it the way they saw it. It's done and we lost:

To the Waverly seniors (Derek Roback, Rheadon Remy, Kevin Malone, Sammy "J" Johnston) you guys are going to be missed very much next year. Each of you had huge roles on this team and it's been a pleasure watching you grow over the course of the season. Thanks for your leadership and a great, exciting season of basketball. You have been a part of resurrecting the Waverly Tiger basketball program. You guys were a part of something that hasn't been done since 2003 and that was win a sectional title.
To Harrison, Jake and Devin: You guys are going to be the ones everyone will be looking to, to lead this team next year. You guys will need to step up and be the experienced leaders. You guys have this year of expereince under your "belts" and it's a successful year. Work hard on your game this summer. Get in weight room and get stronger. Motivate and get the younger guys excited to work hard and get stronger.
To the rest of the team and younger guys, work your rear ends off this summer improving your game and don't take a day off. Live in the weight room to get bigger and stronger. Be a part of bringing Waverly Tiger basketball back to the top.

It's been fun being a part of this ride with you. I look forward to riding the Tiger train with you next year.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Question?...Did anybody see the first game between Waverly and Logan Elm. The reason I am asking cause according to some people on here the officiating was so bad last night it cost Waverly the game and Logan Elm would have only scored 37 last night. Was the officiating worse in the first game in which Logan Elm beat them by 18 points, did Logan Elm score 18 points from the free throw line that night?....I think I even seen a guy post on here that he was'nt even at the game last night and was commenting on how bad this officiating was, I was at the game last night and I will admit the officiating was'nt very good but not that bad....however I think the last 6 fouls came in the 4th when Waverly was purposely fouling to stop clock and get ball back.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Didn't go to the game and didn't listen on radio. My take from what I've read here on these previous posts:

1.) Refs were questionable (You could say this for any game ever played depending on who you're rooting for)
2.) Boths teams with questionable acts (Traveling, diving, out of bounds, fouls & same as above)

Fact: If players get out of control during the game even though it may be hard, you must try to control yourself or it will hurt your team. This seems like the athletes were pretty evenly matched but the "head game" goes to Logan Elm along with the game. :idea:

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

pdracing23 wrote:Over the course of the last few weeks i have seen a lot of people say that Logan Elm does not impress them. They are not a team that is flashy and quick to catch the eye. They do not have 6'4, 6'5, 6'6 freakish athletes like Waverly. They are a very good basketball team with excellent chemistry. Chemistry is balance and what an inside out game the Braves have. Some people knock on Hauserman but he compliments what the Braves are trying to do well. He clogs up the middle and allows for that tenacious in your face pressure defensive out front. He also is a pretty decent passer out of the post. Balance is the key to the Braves success, they may not pass the eye test with flashy run and gun high scoring basketball but they are a very good team.

Waverly has some very talented athletes and in my opinion if they make this a 94 foot basketball game has a very good chance of winning. With that being said it is important for the Tigers to push the ball in transition but to NOT play fast. They can't let the pressure of LE speed them up and take them away from what they are trying to do. In the last meeting the pressure sped up the Tigers and Harrison saw virtually no touches until the fourth quarter when the teams played pretty evenly. I can't say enough how important it is for Waverly to run their offense through Harrison Martin. The kid just always makes the right decisions with the ball in his hands.

Underhill,

I am from Waverly and if you will notice this post was made well before the game. I don't think anyone from Waverly was knocking Hauserman. He is a nice player. I sayed he clogs up the lane on the defensive end allowing for the pressure up front. The guards aren't worried about giving up penetration with him in the lane. He controlled the defensive boards. He can get 12-14 points every night. And just as i said before the game he can pass out of a double better than most big men you will find. He created many open three's for Blake, Whaley, and Pritchard last night.

I know there is a lot of talk about the officials in this thread. I believe Logan Elm winning the game last night wasn't entirely due to ANYTHING that happened on the court last night. The reason Logan Elm is 21-2 and still playing starts in the 3rd grade at LE. They have a very good program from top to bottom. They teach the same fundamentals and run the same offense from the time they start playing the game in Elementary. Coach Stiverson has been actively involved with all levels of the program since he got there in 99. The difference right now between LE and Waverly is the fact that LE has a program. LE develops basketball players they don't strive off of a talented class (thats why they can reload, not rebuild)

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

BUCKEYES wrote:Question?...Did anybody see the first game between Waverly and Logan Elm. The reason I am asking cause according to some people on here the officiating was so bad last night it cost Waverly the game and Logan Elm would have only scored 37 last night. Was the officiating worse in the first game in which Logan Elm beat them by 18 points, did Logan Elm score 18 points from the free throw line that night?....I think I even seen a guy post on here that he was'nt even at the game last night and was commenting on how bad this officiating was, I was at the game last night and I will admit the officiating was'nt very good but not that bad....however I think the last 6 fouls came in the 4th when Waverly was purposely fouling to stop clock and get ball back.

The problem wasn't the fouls they called on Waverly, but the fouls they didn't call on LE. Tonight, Belpre got treatment similar to what Waverly got last night in the 2nd half.

Return to “Boys Basketball”