Fairfield junior Chris Cox not DIV District POY?????

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Fairfield junior Chris Cox not DIV District POY?????

Post by sinjinian »

Blake Blevins was named SE District DIV POY. This post is not intended to be negative towards him.

Chris Cox and Fairfield went 2-0 against Blevins and Manchester this year while Cox put up 28.5 ppg and 13 rpg in those meetings. I believe Blevins scored 8 ppg. Anybody that saw either of those games knows who the better player is.
Cox scored 22.8 ppg on the year while Blevins scored 18.4 according to the AP article. Chris also scored his 1000th point as a junior this season. Cox was 1st team District 14 coaches poll, Blevins was voted 2nd team-yet he gets AP POY in the whole Southeast District?? I believe Manchester had a slightly better overall record than Fairfield, but it certainly wasn't enough to negate the facts stated above.

If anyone has any insight or can make sense of this, please chime in.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Fairfield junior Chris Cox not DIV District POY?????

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't have a problem with him winning it....but he was 2nd team but POY???

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Re: Fairfield junior Chris Cox not DIV District POY?????

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Have to kind of agree with Samuel. I have watched both (not head to head) and feel that Cox is the stronger player. Honestly, there were not a ton of great individual players in D4 this year. The way I see it there were 3 main candidates - Blevins, Cox, and Loop (from SW). I think they were the 3 most deserving based on individual stats and team success. I am kind of shocked that the Loop kid didnt get it considering the season South Webster had this year and the location of the school. Sometimes I feel that Athletic Directors and Head Coach's dont do enough PR for their nominated players when it comes to getting the yearly stats and accomplishments to the right media people. I hope this wasnt what happened with the Cox boy.

Return to “Boys Basketball”