Final: Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 -- Regional Championship

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Re: Chesapeake vs. Ironton - Reg'l Championship - 3/20 @ 7:30PM

Post by chspanthers72 »

TIGERS90 wrote:Really glad to see two great basketball teams from Lawrence County both playing each other in the finals...usually we face each other in the early rounds and beat each other out before we get to the larger games...Both teams are really special this year...however...From everything I have seen...this Ironton team has really progressed much further than Chesepeake since the game in Ironton...I believe Ironton will be a ten plus winner in this contest...I really think Chesepeake has a great team however..great guard up front defensively...and two good big men inside...I believe all five have decent talent...however..the bench being one man going in just won't be enough with this Ironton team...much different than the last time Ironton played Chesey last...might get UGLY...late...however..nothing for either team to hang their head about whoever wins or loses...both teams are special...and have played great and should be very proud...I just think Ironton is going to be a little much for this bunch...

This game is not going to get ugly late. You all haven't faced a balanced team like Chesapeake the entire tournament. Except for Peebles, Chesapeake has faced the tougher teams. I believe if Davis had to go to the bench he would be fine. However most coaches shorten their bench during tournament time. After all Ohio State has done pretty darn well with a six or seven man rotation. I believe this will be a nail biter to the end. You may want to take an extra long bathroom break at halftime. Cause you're not going to want to miss the end of this one.

Ball4
Riding the Bench

Post by Ball4 »

Gonna be a great regional final with two quality teams. From what I have seen at the Convo so far I think Ironton has the advantage in over all team speed, but Chessy has the better size. IMO the Panthers need to get into more of a half court game to slow the pace some. Not saying they shouldn't take a fast break when they have it, but just keep the pace in their favor. I'm taking Chesapeake by five in the best game played at Athens so far. MAKE YOUR FOUL SHOTS PEAKE !!!

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Can't pick a winner. Good luck to both teams.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to both teams on making the regional final.......and it should be a very good game.......these are two teams that DESERVE to play for the title, and I'm a Portsmouth Trojans fan.......the difference between Chesapeake/Ironton and Portsmouth is that the Panthers and Fighting Tigers took care of their business, and we did not!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Look for a Ironton win by 6 seems after that Ports. loss the got there act back together and realized that they can be beat and what losing felt like.
Lose now go home Ironton needs to take care of the ball better and for cheasy to pull this out they need to hit their free throws.
All in all it should be a great game

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

Have watched both teams play and hard to get a feel with diffence in compation.
Peake had a little rougher road, but I-Town looks real good too. It will come down
to the last shot. Wow how many years did Norm try to get them this far.

Should be a great game

PS FAN OF SPORTS Hope to see you there.............................................

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

81dendmhs74 wrote:Have watched both teams play and hard to get a feel with diffence in compation.
Peake had a little rougher road, but I-Town looks real good too. It will come down
to the last shot. Wow how many years did Norm try to get them this far.

Should be a great game

PS FAN OF SPORTS Hope to see you there.............................................

Norm and the boys actually got this far 5 times before but could not get any love from teams like Unioto, Belpre, North Adams, Sparta Highland or Bellaire. Ironton don't appear to be very cordial neither. :(

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i heard today that ohio u and the ohsaa has entered into an agreement with marshall and instead of both teams traveling to athens the game will be held at henderson center in huntington instead. :shock:

osnn
Waterboy

Post by osnn »

2009-10 Scores...

February 13...Portsmouth 77, Chesapeake 70

February 20...Portsmouth 63, Ironton 60

Obviously there was some pretty good talent on this year's Portsmouth team to defeat these two regional semi-finalists. This is not to take anything away from Ironton or Chesapeake. The Trojans did NOT step-up when they needed to in the tournament and Ironton and Chesapeake did, but the fact remains there was some very good talent on this year's Portsmouth team.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

theassassin wrote:i heard today that ohio u and the ohsaa has entered into an agreement with marshall and instead of both teams traveling to athens the game will be held at henderson center in huntington instead. :shock:

Anyone know anything about this?

butcherman108
SEO

Post by butcherman108 »

tk421 wrote:
theassassin wrote:i heard today that ohio u and the ohsaa has entered into an agreement with marshall and instead of both teams traveling to athens the game will be held at henderson center in huntington instead. :shock:

Anyone know anything about this?

Dream on Alice wonderland is just over the hill. ;-)

Ball4
Riding the Bench

Post by Ball4 »

Would be nice tho. Save a lot on gas and travel time.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

me being a Chesapeake grad, my heart wants me to pick the peake but this is where the Peake exits the tourny like always

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

chspanthers72 wrote:By what I have heard their Dennis Gagai this year is Tim Kochendoerfer. While our P.J. Rase is Nathan Copley and Aaron Gosset is Austin McMaster. :)

That's great stuff! :122245

osnn wrote:2009-10 Scores...

February 13...Portsmouth 77, Chesapeake 70

February 20...Portsmouth 63, Ironton 60

Obviously there was some pretty good talent on this year's Portsmouth team to defeat these two regional semi-finalists. This is not to take anything away from Ironton or Chesapeake. The Trojans did NOT step-up when they needed to in the tournament and Ironton and Chesapeake did, but the fact remains there was some very good talent on this year's Portsmouth team.

The Charlotte Bobcats destroyed both the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Los Angeles Lakers about 3 weeks ago too.

Just_A_Fan wrote:me being a Chesapeake grad, my heart wants me to pick the peake but this is where the Peake exits the tourny like always

Know exactly what ya mean here. :|

What Oak Hill did last year makes me think there is a chance it could change this year.

prepstar18
Waterboy

Post by prepstar18 »

this should be a great game, as both of the teams have stepped up and been playing very strong in the tournament. i really think this is a pick'em game

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Ironton. Bench play will make the difference in this game. Ironton's motion offense very nice. Good season Peake.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Gotta say...unless Ironton plays a terrible game and peake plays their best...Ironton wins this one..if both teams play like I figure..which is both playing at the top of their game...Ironton by at least 10....it's a different team now...Ironton has improved much more than I see chesepeake improving..however..Chesepeake is playing some good ball...Ironton just is that good...

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

TIGERS90 wrote:Gotta say...unless Ironton plays a terrible game and peake plays their best...Ironton wins this one..if both teams play like I figure..which is both playing at the top of their game...Ironton by at least 10....it's a different team now...Ironton has improved much more than I see chesepeake improving..however..Chesepeake is playing some good ball...Ironton just is that good...

No way Ironton wins by more than 10 no matter how many times you say it.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

This thread is already cracking me up. Peake by three.

tigergrad95
Waterboy

Post by tigergrad95 »

The first game Ironton won by three early in the year. If memory serves me correct we were down late in the 4th. So to way we will win by 10 is a stretch in my opinion. I think we will see Chesy slow the pace down and keep the score low (40-36). Not going as deep on the bench as Ironton has a little to do with slower pace they will want to play. If Ironton can keep their composure early and get a little bit of a lead and then try to pressure the game and the refs let them play out front I could see a 54-48 game. No predictions either way though. Ironton also must control the boards as Chesy has some size. I hope my Tigers come out on top and will be there to cheer them on. Would love to back to the Schott next Thursday.

Return to “Boys Basketball”