What determines if a high school coach is a great coach?

cg 22
JV Team

Re: What determines if a high school coach is a great coach?

Post by cg 22 »

Rebels on 3 how many wins does Saunders have?

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

He has been at SG for about 6 or 7 years and has had 4 seasons with over 15 wins, and one season with I think 9 wins and last year was a down year. My senior year at SG was 07 and we had 16 wins and got shorted a game. My sophomore and junior year we won the sectional. First year we beat Symmes Valley and the second year we beat Eastern and Trimble for the sectional.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Pretty high standards. I am assuming that most of us non coaches arent great at our jobs either if the standards that measure greatness are that high.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Most coaches are deemed great after they leave, retire , or pass away. The legacy they leave, the players, the fans, the community, when a coach was great they still talk about him or her after their career is over. I have had the pleasure of knowing a couple of great basketball coaches, Coach Hawhee of Waverly and Coach Cantrell of Eastern Pike.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

crazymidgets wrote:Most coaches are deemed great after they leave, retire , or pass away. The legacy they leave, the players, the fans, the community, when a coach was great they still talk about him or her after their career is over. I have had the pleasure of knowing a couple of great basketball coaches, Coach Hawhee of Waverly and Coach Cantrell of Eastern Pike.

Very good post! The two coaches that you named were definitely great coaches.

The only thing that I would add to your comment is that they coached in a different time and era. They were actually allowed to be in control of their programs and taught the game their way without major interference or outside influence from parents and board members. Coaches now have to put up with way too much political BS and the whining of parents if little Tommy doesn't play as much as they think. In addition, the parents used to teach kids respect at home and actually used the word "NO" instead of insisting that every pee-wee kids gets a trophy and that cutting a player is damaging to his self esteem.
Last edited by Hoggy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Hoggy wrote:
crazymidgets wrote:Most coaches are deemed great after they leave, retire , or pass away. The legacy they leave, the players, the fans, the community, when a coach was great they still talk about him or her after their career is over. I have had the pleasure of knowing a couple of great basketball coaches, Coach Hawhee of Waverly and Coach Cantrell of Eastern Pike.

Very good post! The two coaches that named were definitely great coaches.

The only thing that I would add to your comment is that they coached in a different time and era. They were actually allowed to be in control of their programs and taught the game their way without major interference or outside influence from parents and board members. Coaches now have to put up with way too much political BS and the whining of parents if little Tommy doesn't play as much as they think. In addition, the parents used to teach kids respect at home and actually used the word "NO" instead of insisting that every pee-wee kids gets a trophy and that cutting a player is damaging to his self esteem.

+1

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

A good coach stresses fundamentals, teamwork and respect for the game. A coach that takes a team capable of winning 10 games and manages 12-13 wins. This kind of coach gets the kids to believe in themselves and his system. Some winning coaches are the product of nothing more than a good developmental program in the lower levels.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Spartan wrote:Pretty high standards. I am assuming that most of us non coaches arent great at our jobs either if the standards that measure greatness are that high.

No, and I am sure no one is telling us or others that we are great either. Even our wives are probably not telling people we are great at our jobs. :lol:

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

You have a wife AND a job Heavy?

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

No one(including myself) has mentioned things such as the type of men that a coach helps mold off the court. Does he teach them lessens just about the sport? Or about life as well? How many go to college? Not to play a sport but just go to college prepared to make something of themselves and be responsible, productive adults. I know quite a few coaches who may be considered "great" because of there on-court success but who don't teach anything but how to win at a game. IMO, I'll take 14-6 every year and a great builder of men than 18-2 every year who coaches jerks, punks, thugs, A-holes, insert whatever adjective you want.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Spartan wrote:You have a wife AND a job Heavy?

No, but I have never heard my mom tell my dad that he is great at his job. :lol: But I can redecorate a locker room with the best of them. ;-) So maybe I would be a great coach in the eyes of some on here. :mrgreen:

Anonymous Rutter
Waterboy

Post by Anonymous Rutter »

Heavy D wrote:
Spartan wrote:You have a wife AND a job Heavy?

No, but I have never heard my mom tell my dad that he is great at his job. :lol: But I can redecorate a locker room with the best of them. ;-) So maybe I would be a great coach in the eyes of some on here. :mrgreen:

Maybe you could get a job as a biddy league coach. After a year or two, you should be qualified. Be sure to find a local legend and talk to him a few times.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

I have heard that redecorating the lockerrooms is the best way to impress people. Especially if you do it at away games. Having a nice friendly discussion with the officials is a good thing too from what my mentor tells me. Especially after a close loss, just to let them know there are no hard feelings. :mrgreen:

DUNKONE
Waterboy

Post by DUNKONE »

First off I want to let everyone know that Dunk1 is not the gentleman whos license plate is shown on this post this is an imposter and does not represent the Dunk1 in Tuppers Plains.. Besides he dont even know my correct age. Shame on anyone who is trying to impersinate another individual. Howard Caldwell is DUNKONE not DUNK1. If the Person using DUNK1 would like to call me and streighten this out and remove my license plate from this forum please do so.

DUNKONE
Waterboy

Post by DUNKONE »

First off I want to let everyone know that Dunk1 is not the gentleman whos license plate is shown on this post this is an imposter and does not represent the Dunk1 in Tuppers Plains.. Besides he dont even know my correct age. Shame on anyone who is trying to impersinate another individual. Howard Caldwell is DUNKONE not DUNK1. If the Person using DUNK1 would like to call me and streighten this out and remove my license plate from this forum please do so.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

gahs4ever wrote:IMO, even more important than league or tournament titles when discussing greatness is CONSISTENCY over time. Anyone can run into a great class and stay out of their way as they achieve. Some coaches (I wont name names) have made a career out of going where the talent is and when the talent pool dries up moves on to the next talent pool.

Coaches are just like other people in that at some point they want to marry and raise a family. The demands on coaches time year around anymore really takes away from that family time and your kids are only kids once. Therefore to find someone who makes the commitment over time and wins consistently is great in my mind.

Let me throw out some names from this area from my lifetime beginning with the 500 club and coaches who have last 25-30 years or more. The list isnt that long. Then I will name a few of the younger ones who are doing the job but just havent been at it long enough yet to complete their resume.

OLDER COACHES:
Norm Pierson- Chesapeake, Wilmington, Oak Hill. Close to 600 wins and a state championship
Larry Jordan- Southeastern, Waverly, Jackson. Close to 600 wins and I believe a couple of Final Fours
Carl Wolfe- Southern, Waverly, River Valley, Meigs. Over 500 wins and 1-2 Final Fours
Ron Hall- Zane Trace, Miami Trace, Adena. A couple of Final Fours at two schools. A two year record at ZT of 52-2
Jim Osborne- Gallia Academy. Close to 525 wins; all at one school.
Arch Justus- Portsmouth Clay. At least one Final Four (1969).
Tom Barrick- Wheelersburg. He knows the way to Columbus
Charlie McAfee- Athens. The gym is named after him for crying out loud.
CD Hawhee- Waverly. The face of Waverly athleteics for decades. Excellence personified.
Howie Caldwell- Eastern. Mentored by Carl Wolfe at Southern as JV coach and now one of the best IMO in his own right.
Rick Van Matre- Greenfield McClain. Nearly 500 wins, Owned the SCOL and trips to the Convo were an annual pilgrimmage.
Blaine Maddox- Warren. A tweener. Not old and not young. A growing resume. Always puts out an excellent product

YOUNGER:
Doug Stiverson- Logan Elm. Possibly the best of the younger coaches in the district.
Mark LaFon- Ironton. Not sure if he isnt a tweener as well, but I recently told him I appreciate the way he goes about his business. An excellent teacher, and even better bench coach. He's a keeper for sure.

Im getting tired. Ill try to add more later as I have time to think on this list. Suffice it to say there have been more than a few excellent coaches in this area I have been privileged to watch over the years!

Awesome list, however you left George Heller out of the mix...He did a pretty good job at Portsmouth in the day
wipalawalt

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

George Heller is the winningest coach in the storied history of Portsmouth High School.......224-137 in his 17 year career from 1952-1968.......he won 9 district titles, had 2 Elite 8 appearances, and his 1961 Trojans won the Greater Ohio League in addition to winning the Class AA state championship.

Coach Heller continued to go regularly to Portsmouth home games until his death a few years ago.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

trojandave wrote:George Heller is the winningest coach in the storied history of Portsmouth High School.......224-137 in his 17 year career from 1952-1968.......he won 9 district titles, had 2 Elite 8 appearances, and his 1961 Trojans won the Greater Ohio League in addition to winning the Class AA state championship.

Coach Heller continued to go regularly to Portsmouth home games until his death a few years ago.

trojandave, thanks,,if you want to hear some great stories about GH have Coach Weinbrecht come to a function and he will light you up with Heller stories,,,Coach W never got the credit he deserved at PHS....Him and Heller were like Carson and Mcmahan,
Sonnie and Cher, you get the idea..have the privilage to call Harry a freind...just do not get in telling stories about his Springfield days.
wipalawalt

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

dunkone wrote:First off I want to let everyone know that Dunk1 is not the gentleman whos license plate is shown on this post this is an imposter and does not represent the Dunk1 in Tuppers Plains.. Besides he dont even know my correct age. Shame on anyone who is trying to impersinate another individual. Howard Caldwell is DUNKONE not DUNK1. If the Person using DUNK1 would like to call me and streighten this out and remove my license plate from this forum please do so.

I read the post before I read the authors name. At first I thought maybe the name was drunkone. :lol: "pop a top again..." :mrgreen:

drunkone
Riding the Bench

Post by drunkone »

dunkone wrote:First off I want to let everyone know that Dunk1 is not the gentleman whos license plate is shown on this post this is an imposter and does not represent the Dunk1 in Tuppers Plains.. Besides he dont even know my correct age. Shame on anyone who is trying to impersinate another individual. Howard Caldwell is DUNKONE not DUNK1. If the Person using DUNK1 would like to call me and streighten this out and remove my license plate from this forum please do so.

Thats right! All you have to do is leave a message for baldeagle at Eastern High School. :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”