Wheelersburg 2010-2011

bballin
JV Team

Wheelersburg 2010-2011

Post by bballin »

I know there are alot of rumors of coaches and kids coming and going. Could be an interesting year next year for the pirates.. Thoughts?

falconater
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg 2010-2011

Post by falconater »

Barrick is a great coach and will always have a competetive team. Stegman is back next year. Look for McBee and Massie to be really good. I bet Whitley comes back out and with Bendolph that is a pretty good team especially if Shankwiler is able to play.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Sorry to say fellas, but both Bendoplh and Whitley are going to be at Portsmouth next year. Got that from a very reliable source and it's no rumor. From what I was told, Bendolph is already back in Portsmouth.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

burggrad: yep...they gone from what I hear too. But Burg will be back next year despite the losses.*

Bandwagoner
Freshman Team

Post by Bandwagoner »

idk how good the burg will be, but they seem like theyre going to be pretty small?

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Did Bendolph and Whitley move to Burg last year? If so are they moving again???? Wish my family could move that often....

prepstar18
Waterboy

Post by prepstar18 »

is stegman staying

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Probably best thing for Bendolph it didnt seem to be a good fit with Burg last yr dont think he liked a half court slow down style of play he wanted to run

johndeere
Riding the Bench

Post by johndeere »

What is happening to the Wheelersburg basketball program??? Guys not playing who could really help!!! Players transferring in for one year then deciding to leave after that year??? Sounds like trouble in paradise!!!!!!!!! looks like a change needs to be made!!!

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Bendolph is back at Portsmouth now. The sad thing is, he didn't even stick around for the Burg Basketball Banquet that took place last night. Another player didn't show up either.

Burg will be ok next year. Schank will be back and Stegman, McBee, Massie, Ballard, and so on will be fine together..maybe even better who knows..the chemistry might be back with Schank bringing the ball down the court. Bendolph's style never seemed to click and things for the team just didn't work.

Best of luck to Bendolph at Portsmouth...and whoever follows him.

I would love to see a crack down on this one year and done stuff though...so players who have been playing at Burg all their life don't get moved around.

BurgGrad
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgGrad »

Whitley is not gone or is not going. He is currently running track for the BURG and I talked with his
mother at the meet on Saturday and she said that he is not going anywhere.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

therepublican wrote:Bendolph is back at Portsmouth now. The sad thing is, he didn't even stick around for the Burg Basketball Banquet that took place last night. Another player didn't show up either.

Burg will be ok next year. Schank will be back and Stegman, McBee, Massie, Ballard, and so on will be fine together..maybe even better who knows..the chemistry might be back with Schank bringing the ball down the court. Bendolph's style never seemed to click and things for the team just didn't work.

Best of luck to Bendolph at Portsmouth...and whoever follows him.

I would love to see a crack down on this one year and done stuff though...so players who have been playing at Burg all their life don't get moved around.

Well, the other one couldn't be Whitley because he didn't even play? If Whitley and Bendolph go to PHS they will be dominate guards together. McBee is from Minford, played there until the 6th grade and then transferred to burg. I don't like this one year transfer either in HS. Next year will be interesting for the burg.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

With Schank and McBee in the back court and Stegman, Ward and Ballard up front, it will be a different looking team, but it should be a change for the best. I think next year will be quite interesting. With a lot of seniors next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of the Miller's see some varsity time as freshmen next year too.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Well, I agree Burg Grad. I think it will be a different looking team with those kids upfront. I like it though, because I really felt this year we didn't see Burg ball. The chemistry wasn't there and the whole system was a little swirly...

Hopefully, next season they can progress towards a stable bench...I am not presonally aware of how many kids are coming up..if anyone does, please post!

I am just want to see BURG kids succeed...not players from outside. I enjoy watching kids grow through pee-wee, Junior High, to High School and then later into life. That is what Burg is all about! One and done needs to stop. It seems everytime one comes in, it turns out they leave a year after, or quite, or it is always something. I am true Burg at heart, and want to see these kids next year succeed!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

There is only 1 soph in the program. The freshmen this year played the full jv schedule and was 4-1 in true freshmen games. The 8th grade class coming up was something like 16-2 as 8th graders, and the 7th grade was around 17-1 last year so there are a lot of nice players in the pipeline.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Trouble in paradise? I don't know about that. One player comes in, decides he doesn't want to stay, then leaves. Burg goes back to what it was, with a few additions from the young kids. No big deal.

Players decide all the time they don't want to play, because it is a tought sport and there is such limited opportunity. When you get to varsity level, sometimes only one or two play from each class, always have.I think it would be wrong to blame a coach for that. Besides, there are always one or two classes in which no one decides to play basketball. It gets I think this is because only five can play at a time. It's quite different from other sports that way. the Pirates will be back, and so will their chemistry. We saw glimpses of it returning at the end of the season. Shank will help a lot. They missed him.

Doubleduece
Waterboy

Post by Doubleduece »

Wow. Burg has one down year (and by down I guess that means getting to the district finals). and some are calling the program trouble and questioning Coach Barrick's reign.

Fact- Over the last ten years (even further) Burg has had the best program in SE Ohio. Barrick is a future hall of famer. The talent level was definately down from years past, but they still competed every game and won some that shouldnt have.

How many Indiana fans would love to have had Bobby Knight since he left? Some dont understand how good something is until it is gone. Coach Barrick is old school, do-it-his-way, and there are not too many around like that anymore. He has ruffled some feathers, but those with true basketball knowledge know he is a master at his craft.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Doubleduece wrote:Wow. Burg has one down year (and by down I guess that means getting to the district finals). and some are calling the program trouble and questioning Coach Barrick's reign.

Fact- Over the last ten years (even further) Burg has had the best program in SE Ohio. Barrick is a future hall of famer. The talent level was definately down from years past, but they still competed every game and won some that shouldnt have.

How many Indiana fans would love to have had Bobby Knight since he left? Some dont understand how good something is until it is gone. Coach Barrick is old school, do-it-his-way, and there are not too many around like that anymore. He has ruffled some feathers, but those with true basketball knowledge know he is a master at his craft.

Great post Double D!!!

Careful what you wish for. Jackson is still reeling from all the turnover and I don't wish that on any of the kids at any school. You have 4 years to enjoy yourself and you have no control over who you're coach is. Great coaches make great memories and as most of us posters are out of school, that's what we have, memories of our hay days. It' a shame if you play for 2 or 3 coaches over 4 years and never really get the chance of developing the player/coach relationship like with coaches that have tenure. IE....Barrick, Osborne, Maddux etc....

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Don't confuse one or two (even three) posters on a site like this with "trouble in paradise". It adds up to nothing compared to the hundreds, maybe even thousands of Pirates who love their coaches and stand by all of their programs, players, coaches, parents and community.

JimmyStewart
Waterboy

Post by JimmyStewart »

All I can say is with Massie,Mcbee, Shanke... We can be expecting to see some Speed!!!!! on the court next year. Im sure Barrick and Massie will find a way to use this to their advantage.

Return to “Boys Basketball”