Portsmouth Trojans (21-5) (10-2) 2010-2011

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2010-2011

Post by smurray »

Wow, another huge game added to the Tigers already tuff schedule. People can't say Travis Robertson is scheduling cupcakes.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

bball06.....Great statement....And while you are at it....maybe a few less kids in that neck of the woods held back for athletic purposes.....And it is done all the time and has been for awhile.....And the school about 30 miles SE of you has seen it work both ways in hoops.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:Just found out a schedule change for the Trojans.......Portsmouth will play Waverly in the Wellston Hoops Classic on Sunday, January 9th at 3:30 pm........this game replaces the Northwest game on the schedule.

Should be a good matchup......especially in the post, with Jake Kretzer and Harrison Martin for Waverly battling Tre Underwood and Dion McKinley for Portsmouth.

LOL, we already lost the Northwest game and not even close to season.....Dave and I talked at summer shoot out and said we would not get the Norghwest games in this year either :lol:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

The General wrote:bball06.....Great statement....And while you are at it....maybe a few less kids in that neck of the woods held back for athletic purposes.....And it is done all the time and has been for awhile.....And the school about 30 miles SE of you has seen it work both ways in hoops.
you are right,it is done ALL THE TIME,and it is done EVERYWHERE. 8)

but it is legal in OHSAA eyes,so no one is doing nothing illegal 8)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Probably won't find out until around October as to who we play in the KSA event in Orlando.......the teams that are scheduled to participate have to have their fee in about that time........then the final schedule of who plays who can be determined.

Last year's 19 game total for the season (12-7) was the fewest games the Trojans have played since 1996 when PHS compiled a 4-15 record........the 1995 season also featured only 19 games, with a final record of 11-8........in both years Portsmouth was eliminated in the sectional, just like last year's team. The fewest games the Trojans have ever played in a season (since 1916) was a mere 10 games in 1937, which was shortened by a disastrous flood.......PHS had an 8-2 record that year. The most games was in 1988, when the Trojans captured the OHSAA's first ever D2 state title with a 27-1 mark.

The reason for only 19 games last year was that both games vs. Northwest were cancelled........the Mohawks were on PHS's schedule in 2010-2011, but Portsmouth opted to play Waverly at the Wellston Hoops Classic which replaced Northwest.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Any Bendolph updates?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

We will find out after Sept.9 as to Andrew's fate.......there will be a hearing on that date with the OHSAA and a response to the appeal filed by the Bendolph family........we will probably know by that weekend as to the final decision.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Open gym is due to start sometime after Labor Day and Coach Collins should have a decent number of kids showing up despite quite a few playing football.........probably will have at least 7-8 kids playing, including Dion McKinley, Lenny Collins, and Seth Bratchett, all of whom will play a big role on the varsity.......these 3 are not playing football.

Should know by next month who the Trojans will play in Florida and I will post it as soon as I find out.......once again, the dates of the games will be Monday, Dec.27, Wednesday, Dec.29, and Thursday, Dec.30. Times of the games TBD.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tomorrow is decision day for Andrew Bendolph's appeal case.......it will be heard by the OHSAA........should know by the weekend of his final eligibility status.

This decision could very well have a big impact on SE D3 basketball this year........the Trojans will still have a good team without Andrew, but potentially could be a great team with him. A state contender with him, probably not without him.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

The last Bendolph update I posted got deleted, so no reason to speculate until after tomorrow.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The appeal hearing did happen yesterday.......OHSAA Commissioner Dan Ross was present........and now we wait for a day or two for the final decision.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Diverting away from the Bendolph appeal hearing for a moment, I looked up Portsmouth's record vs. big city schools........overall, the Trojans have a very good 125-54 record vs. Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati schools........PHS is 77-28 vs. Columbus teams, including 15-5 vs. Columbus East (5 time state champion), and 9-3 vs. Columbus Mifflin........Portsmouth is 27-15 vs. Cincinnati schools, including a 90-80 2OT win over Forest Park in the 1990 D2 regional finals at Dayton Arena.......PHS also beat Cincinnati Moeller in the finals of the Wendy's Classic in the late 80's........and finally the Trojans own a 21-11 mark vs. Dayton schools, including a 62-61 regular season win over Dayton Dunbar in 1987.......Dunbar went on to win the AAA state title that year........PHS did lose to Dayton Colonel White 71-57 in the 1990 D2 state title game, but then beat the Cougars in the regular season the very next year.........although the Trojans haven't played very many Cleveland schools, the most notable win was a 63-62 victory over Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the 1978 Class AA state championship.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Still a couple of days away from the final decision concerning Andrew Bendolph, but after talking to some people very close to the situation, I am feeling very good about him regaining his eligibility.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The decision regarding Andrew Bendolph's eligibility should come down today or tomorrow.......this has HUGE ramifications, not only for Portsmouth basketball, but the battle for the regional title in D3.......with Andrew at PG, the Trojans will return 3 starters (Wayne Evans, Dion McKinley, Tre Underwood) to go along with him and Lenny Collins at the 3. Andrew is pretty much a lock for at least 17-18 PPG to go along with at least half a dozen assists.......but just as important is his on-ball defense.......I can't think of anyone in the SE District who can play better on-ball D than Andrew.......he has outstanding lateral quickness and is strong for his size (5-11)........teaming with 2 guard Wayne Evans, also a ball hawker on D, will give the Trojans as good a backcourt as any in the SE District.

With Andrew, Portsmouth is a MAJOR player in the fight for the D3 regional title.......despite the Trojans' early flameouts in the sectional the last several years, this year's Trojans with Bendolph looks to be a completely different model.......one with a very business like attitude in which the Valley loss last February has given them a chip on their shoulder.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

But, is it the right thing to do?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

4dfalcons: I'm not sure what you mean with your question but I can say this......if he is ruled eligible to play, then for Andrew it would be the right thing to do........he returns to a situation that he is comfortable with, he has a lot of friends at PHS, and he bolsters an already good basketball team.

If he ruled eligible, it proves that despite stricter transfer guidelines by the OHSAA, that his family fully complied with these guidelines.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Best of luck to the young man.

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

I was told by an OHSAA offical not to look for the decision on Bendolph till late October. The review board doesn't have a meeting till then.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Hoppy, for the info.......I'm surprised at this after what I have heard for the last 2 weeks.......I would think, though, that his chances at regaining eligibility are very good considering that they could have denied the appeal by now if there wasn't a convincing case.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

JV Coach Shane Rhea told me that about 10 kids showed up for weightlifting and working out........most of these kids will be seeing varsity time........the Trojans should be stronger physically........Shane is dedicated to getting these kids on a fitness program. The Portsmouth hoopsters should be in good shape from Day 1.

Return to “Boys Basketball”