What Logan needs...

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Re: What Logan needs...

Post by trubbguru »

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would believe anything that spews from the keyboards of some of the posters on this subject. To be so arrogant as to think that someone who knows nothing about the game or has sit in that hot seat as a head coach can post what they do.Then make brags about how some outside committe can have influence on who and who will not coach at Logan. Give me a break. Be men and ask coach Myers face to face some always want to know his record or his accomplishments or what he has done for Logans program you may be suprised. (But we all no you will never do that) He will tell you as he has me that maybe he didnt do everything right all the time but his heart was always in the right place. So that being said now you can start a new thread to have coach Helber removed because if you think the wins and loss record was bad this year wait till next. Early season prediction 3-17 ( if they catch some breaks) but could go 0-20 Have heard some counting wins for next season and have marked up a win against Nelsonville believe me i'm no kantucky fan but dont see that happening they are pretty good.(also people who have filled in those coaching spots on Helbers staff don't get to excited because people who you think may not be coming)

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

The rumor posted above that Coach Koons is going to be somewhere other than Logan next season - is not true . Coach Koons will be court side/ practice side/ strategy side/ teaching hoops, coaching hoops ALONGSIDE Coach Helber imo a good combination of coaching talent for the first season of "Helber Ball" ... should all the above come to pass Coach Helber/Coach Koons working together in practice/during games with Coach Helber calling the shots -

I would check your source on that.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LCN ... that was the info I got from Coach Helber when asking about his coaching staff plans for next season, was interested in hearing who he had in the ranks ... wouldn't have posted anything had it not come from someone who I thought would know ... actually wasn't sure about posting anything at all LOL but thought with all of the negative posts something positive should be said as well ...

... any coach imo deserves an opportunity to show what they have in mind for THEIR program - Coach Helber should be given this opportunity ... IF it is true that Coach Koons IS REMAINING in the coaching ranks at Logan he will be of great assistance to Coach Helber in his first season as the head man. BIG difference in coaching at the JV level vs the Varsity level ... but just as a player who is moved from the ranks of freshman or sophomore into the Varsity arena has to adjust to the speed, strength, quickness of the players and the speed of the game across the board , the same needs to happen court side from the coaching perspective as well ... Coach Helber has many good connections with Varsity people who can aid in the move UP the ladder ... won't take any of the headaches away BUT it will help in the adjustments needed to hopefully "survive" that first break-in season ...

... the bottom line at the Varsity level will be the wins and losses ... the SEOAL with Warren, Portsmouth, Chillicothe for 6 games wouldn't be easy no matter who is court-side for next season ... I haven't seen a schedule for next season but add to that the likes of Fairfield Union, Bloom Carroll, Newark, Lancaster - there's half a season of "barometer" type games that WILL tell us where the Coach Helber leadership will be taking the Purple and White ... personally -I'll be looking for defensive fundamentals - not a scramble, out of position type of ball that is mistakenly labeled as "intensity" ... it seems odd but whenever I travel around Southern/Southeastern Ohio watching as many games as I do it seems that you can tell which teams have been schooled in fundamentals - not just having gone through the motions in practice, but truly schooled/held accountable to doing fundamentals both in practice and during the game - within the first couple of trips down the court about a teams commitment to fundamentals - I can tell in the teams/individual "passing" of the ball - crisp chest passes, bounce passes - how does the team get the ball from point A to point B , passing with a purpose (using the dribble as an option in the triple threat position - not THE way to move the ball from point A to point B) ... the fundamentals of passing lead to fewer TOs, more control of the ball at the offensive end which leads to more possessions with "shots on goal" rather than transition baskets for the opposition ... all comes down to CONTROLLING what is taking place on the court at both ends imo ... IF as many have pointed out - right or wrong - Logan does not have the basketball talent - imo THEN taking control of the game - tempo, taking care the ball, being fundamentally BETTER than EVERY team that lines up against you IS THE GOAL to shoot for ... will it add up to the wins and losses that will keep the masses in the stands happy? .... it WILL mean that Logan WILL be able to COMPETE with any opponent whether they are our brothers in the SEOAL or any team from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Liine - THEY better bring THEIR "A" game or "the team as described by some on here as a team without basketball talent" will hang an "L" on THEIR (the opponents) handy dandy pocket schedule ...

... what else will I be looking for? I want to see "one voice" from the leadership court side - imo one voice - from the head coach - sets the tone for who is in the leadership role , in the huddle in timeouts , when the game gets close, when a team NEEDS to be settled down - leadership/ control/ discipline ... that would be something that I will look for from the new regime.

... LCN - these are things I will look for this coming season... IF Coach Koons IS court side, working and teaching the kids in practice - it would be a BIG plus ... IF he moves on - good coaches always find a spot that satisfies their hunger to coach/teach , Coach Koons fits that mold - what I will be looking for from the "Cheap Seats" won't change , I think they should be goals for the TEAM in Purple no matter what ... it will just mean that the road to get there for the Purple and White will take a few more turns, have a few more bumps along the way ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

Well said.

eaglesrock
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesrock »

I just talked to one of the coaches on last years staff and his exact quote was "John has not contacted me or Gregg. We have no idea what is going on."
You would think after being told he had the job he would start putting together his staff.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Maybe John is looking at all of his options before he assigns coaches, or maybe the fact that they have not been contacted should tell them something. Give the guy a chance to get organized for pete's sake. He has known for what 2 days?

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

i think they do better next year...the players they have returing have great chemistry with each other and plays together as a team they should have the same dribble drive offense with the size they have for next year and there offense should be a run and gun type offense

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Let's all support John and be postive about the future! Let's move on.

FULLSCHEDULE
Waterboy

Post by FULLSCHEDULE »

moonschein wrote:Let's all support John and be postive about the future! Let's move on.

wow....coming from Mr. Positive himself! I support the program always have, but like you I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that this was not the right choice. But good luck to Coach Helber he is a great guy.I just do not believe if he is ready for this level, I guess time will tell. I hope that he gets a great coaching staff to help him through this rookie year.

and Good Luck to Coach Koons in what ever his plans may be, hope he stays because I think he is truly needed but can see why he may move on.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Good luck to all within the program. I am just waiting to hear if I should change my avatar or not?

JMTG! :mrgreen:

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

he might not be ready for the varsity level maybe being a coach for as long as he has will help he has been around high school basketball for 15+ years. i think if koon comes back that will certainly help him because koon has head varsity coaching experience and help helber out his first year ...if he goes up to varsity who coaches jv does mckie coach jv?

KoonsDawgs
Waterboy

Post by KoonsDawgs »

Chief Kdogg wrote:Good luck to all within the program. I am just waiting to hear if I should change my avatar or not?

JMTG! :mrgreen:

I am just gonna have to consider selling my poop eating dogs full time since no one appreciates my coaching talents...

:mrgreen: Just my Thoughts guiys! :mrgreen:

roundtown
Waterboy

Post by roundtown »

I heard you were wanted for assistant varsity coach.

ontheroadagain
Waterboy

Post by ontheroadagain »

Well roundtown if that were the real koondogger that would be a good question but let's face it koondawgs and chief koogg are not the real thing, but in talking with all involved yes coach koons is wanted as the asst varsity coach and I for one think he is greatly needed and hope he considers taking the position.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Chiefs

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

What Logan needs..... is to move from the SEOAL and become a valued member of the Ohio Capital Conference as they should be. History in the SEOAL has been kind to the Chieftains, especially the last 20 years or so as they have outgrown all the rest of Southeastern Ohio and have I believe now officially become a "bedroom" community for the Columbus area. They will continue to grow as people from central ohio are relocating down Rt. 33 at a pretty good rate for decently cheap land and housing. You guys aren't considered country bumpkins anymore, let's play the big boys. The longstanding SEOAL is done, I'm out !!!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

FANOSPORTS wrote:What Logan needs..... is to move from the SEOAL and become a valued member of the Ohio Capital Conference as they should be. History in the SEOAL has been kind to the Chieftains, especially the last 20 years or so as they have outgrown all the rest of Southeastern Ohio and have I believe now officially become a "bedroom" community for the Columbus area. They will continue to grow as people from central ohio are relocating down Rt. 33 at a pretty good rate for decently cheap land and housing. You guys aren't considered country bumpkins anymore, let's play the big boys. The longstanding SEOAL is done, I'm out !!!!!

We went from Div. 1 to Div. 2--doesn't look like we here on Rt.33 are growing

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

OCC? Never going to happen ... The Central Ohio "party" considers any trip over 15 minutes an overnighter ... Not happening, BUT the Mid State League HAS invited both Logan and Chillicothe to join the MSL ... imo a move to the MSL would be a GREAT move for the Purple ... We will watch how this scenario unfolds in the coming weeks ...

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

roundtown wrote:Sounds to me it should be Helber! He does have a good repore with the boys.

What's repore? :aaaaa115
Is that pronounced ra'por'ee? :roll: I hope that is something good.
Or did you mean rapport? Which means "gets along well with."
Just wondering. :aaaaa46
I wish the best for the Chiefs next year and beyond.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote:OCC? Never going to happen ... The Central Ohio "party" considers any trip over 15 minutes an overnighter ... Not happening, BUT the Mid State League HAS invited both Logan and Chillicothe to join the MSL ... imo a move to the MSL would be a GREAT move for the Purple ... We will watch how this scenario unfolds in the coming weeks ...

Hmmmm

Return to “Boys Basketball”