SEOAL 2010-11

Who wins it?

Total votes: 0

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: SEOAL Basketball

Post by trojandave »

Gahs4ever: You're right about Ed Thompson transferring from New Boston to Waverly for that 1973-1974 season.......but that was a few years after the Denny Thompson era at WHS. Those 1973-74 Tigers beat Portsmouth 72-71 at PHS in one of the great classic games at the old PHS gym........John Shoemaker poured in 33 points vs. the Trojans that night.

Jottings: Thanks for the info......always interesting to re-visit history.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

gahs4ever wrote:^^^^^I believe that was Ed Thompson

Ed Thompson transfer after football in Nov of 1971. I was a member of a Logan team that got embarssed in there craker box gym in Jan of 1972!

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Actually...Ed T. left New Boston after his SR. season in football.He played basketball for Waverly in the 1972-73 season.I know. I had to guard him as a soph :) Noe was a senior that year and Price was a junior. Waverly beat us twice that year and won the league. That was the year they got their new place open and it was the best place around. I think they played on the road every game until after Christmas when it opened.The Waverly-GAHS game there was when Woody Hayes was there to see Thompson. He could really play, as could Oyer,John,and all those guys.They could all score and Hawhee didnt mind when or where they put it up. Shoemaker was a junior. Alexander,and Rick White,beat them in the district and GAHS then beat alexander. The next year 73-74,GAHS,led by jrs. Sickles,Valentine,Niday and joined by Price beat Waverly twice and won the Wizards 1st league title. Championship game at Gallipolis the gym was packed by 4:30 :122245 They even had closed-circuit TV in the auditorium. In 1974....no lie :) The downtown coaches and politicizers were so happy and proud of the Wizard that night that they actually presented him a basketball at Oscars stuffed full of money. The truth.Sickles and Niday,and I know this for a fact,also consumed a couple of what you may refer to as "illegal" beverages for them that night supplied to them by "happy" patrons :-D ....Things have surely changed........

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

gahs4ever wrote:I guess they have!

No Oscars! :cry:

No happy patrons! :cry:

No Wizard! :cry:

And the illegal beverages are now legal! :122246 :lol: :razz: :-D :) ;-) 8)

And now we have loss illegal basketball players! They say the mind is the frist to go!Oh My! :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

gahs4ever wrote:Stay thirsty my friends (whatever the heck that means)

:lol:

fromthelastrow
Waterboy

Post by fromthelastrow »

This is a first time poster and a one time resident of Jackson County, Ohio. I had an interesting conversation with a Coach Mike Stevens from Kings High School a couple of weeks ago at a high school shootout at Miami University in Oxford, in which he said to me that his eventual goal would be to come back to Jackson and coach the basketball team. Our Piketon team played Coach Stevens team (Kings Mills?), the beat us pretty good and I was impressed with how hard his kids played and competed, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information about this coach, I was really impressed with his team and how they played. He mentioned how Kings is also viewed as a football school, yet he has won a lot of games in what I would consider to be a similar situation that you have mentioned here in your posts, he seems like a good fit at Jackson, being he is a former player and coach from Jackson.

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

trojandave wrote:Gahs4ever: You're right about Ed Thompson transferring from New Boston to Waverly for that 1973-1974 season.......but that was a few years after the Denny Thompson era at WHS. Those 1973-74 Tigers beat Portsmouth 72-71 at PHS in one of the great classic games at the old PHS gym........John Shoemaker poured in 33 points vs. the Trojans that night.

Jottings: Thanks for the info......always interesting to re-visit history.

trojandave.... I recall that game with Waverly well! Shoemaker shot the lights out of the Trojan gym. If there had been a 3 point line back then he probably would have had 50. If I remember correctly Bo Clemens had a big game for the Trojans.

chiefs31
Waterboy

Post by chiefs31 »

Not sure where the Chiefs will end up, but good luck to Coach Helber and the Chieftains!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Should be a great league from top to bottom. Portsmouth, Warren, Chili, my pick for the top three

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

My top three in any order.....Chillicothe,Portsmouth,Warren. If the exchange student that is coming to Chillicothe is as good as advertised Chillicothe could very well make a run at the State!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

OSHAA better check this out :122249

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

check what out? i hope you are not talking about the exchange student.....this will be our 3rd exchange student(1st who plays a sport) and we do it because these kids want to come to america....maybe some do it for the wrong reason, but we LOVE doing it for the kids!!!

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Bronc I'm sure there is going to be more "haters" out there once the season gets underway! Stick to football noreply.....LOL!

Cav4life
Waterboy

Post by Cav4life »

Without a doubt, Chillicothe will win the SEOAL. The talent that they have is amazing. All though Portsmouth, may contend, I strongly believe that Chillicothe will win it outright. The kid that is transferring may be the Elliott kid..Not sure. Wish all the teams good luck..GO CAVS !!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth got very close to ending a long drought vs. the Cavaliers last year.......losing 45-42 at home and 66-61 in OT at CHS.......those 2 wins by Chillicothe gave them a 13 game winning streak vs. PHS........the series is now tied at 40 wins each......from my eyewitness account, PHS is MUCH BETTER than last year, even losing Tory Horne......the return of Andrew Bendolph has been HUGE for Portsmouth......he scored 40 total points in 2 games as a freshman vs. the STATE CHAMPION Cavaliers in 2008 .........if the Trojans can stay healthy through football season (3 starters, and 6 of our 8 man rotation), the streak could very well end this coming season........which would also mean that Portsmouth would have an excellent chance to win the SEOAL.........of course Warren will have something to say about that also........the Warriors were 16-4 overall and 10-4 in the league, and return Grant Venham and Austin Cunningham.

Portsmouth finally put together a solid SEOAL campaign in 2009-2010, going 10-4 in league play, tied for 3rd with Warren.......the Trojans were the only team to defeat SEOAL champion Ironton, beating the Fighting Tigers 63-60 at PHS in the final regular season SEOAL game.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I have to say Portsmouth should win the SEOAL in 2010-2011. They are just flat loaded.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Agree with all the comments being said on here....it looks like a three legged race for the crown. Being a Chillicothe alum,die-hard fan,Future Cavs coach etc,I will have to admit the boys of Trojan will be loaded from top to bottom! As well as the Warriors who have two studs who can get it done. Jalen Ragland is having a GREAT summer and is getting A LOT of D.1(Big Schools) looks. Malik is having a good summer also,I guess the two big question marks for the Cavs is can Tyler be a floor general and how good will the Foreign Exchange student will be. With the Cavs playing in the Flyin To The Hoop tourney this season the expectations of this team is very high and very well be a threat to come out the SouthEast region....time will tell just as soon as Football season comes to an end! Go Cavs!

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

I love high school ball! I cannot wait to attend the flyin to the hoop tourney this year. I do know,not too many teams from around this area get invited to play at this event. They turn down several hundred of schools each year that want to play in this event. It shows you that Chilly has some major talent on their team with recent success in the past.

People talk about Jalen Ragland and Malik London from Chillicothe all the time which is well deserved. I think people will start to talk about Zach Johnson from Chilly. This kid started last yr for Chillicothe and has continued to get A LOT better. Very, very good player!

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

gahs4ever wrote:Tier I:

Tier II: , , ,

NOTE: I put the teams in alphabetical order; not predicted order of finish.

Just My Opinion:
Chillicothe
Warren
Jackson
Portsmouth
Logan
Marietta
Gallia Academy

Gallia Academy will be lucky to win a league game!!! :?: :?:

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

ole_Bobcat wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:Tier I:

Tier II: , , ,

NOTE: I put the teams in alphabetical order; not predicted order of finish.

Just My Opinion:
Chillicothe
Warren
Jackson
Portsmouth
Logan
Marietta
Gallia Academy

Gallia Academy will be lucky to win a league game!!! :?: :?:
Is this your predicted finish from top to bottom? Peebles has played Chilli, Portsmouth, Logan, and Marietta this summer so here is how I would rank them just based on what I saw this summer.....

1.Portsmouth
2.Chillicothe
3.Marietta
4.Logan

Return to “Boys Basketball”