Team to beat in SEO

svbt1112
Varsity

Re: Team to beat in SEO

Post by svbt1112 »

Peake:

South Webster had a transfer in 2006---you are correct---but read my post----

South Webster (2004) No Transfers---made it to the final 4.

If you are going to correct people please be right!

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Look. No wrong doing has been alleged by anyone in the know of the situation. Bronc has said(and I'm sure some people on here know his real identity and can verify) that he has had exchange students before that did not play sports. If he were as you say he is, he would just get a basketball playing exchange student every year or two.

Chambers is the only significant transfer that I can remember coming to Chillicothe recently. He certainly helped our basketball team and there is nothing wrong with that. The OHSAA did an investigation into that because of all the crying by people like you and if they had found anything that said it was illegal then Chillicothe would no longer be the 2008 State Champions, so based on that everyone should stop whining. Private schools win every year and have nothing but "transfers" in your sense of the word. I would bet that less than 5% of teams that win state titles are homegrown and that nearly all of them are from D4 in rural, spread out districts. If VC got a big transfer from Wellston, or Jackson or whereever, you would be on here defending him and saying how it is ok because his family moved or he had a bad situation or whatever.

Why must we all judge others? Worry about yourself and quit crying about others. If you feel righteous because your team is homegrown, then you should feel good about yourself for that. If I, or bronc, or anyone from any team feels better winning then so be that as well. Most transfers are not related to sports and therefore are essentially "luck" as to what school gets what players.

Tranfers sometimes come for sports, but why shouldn't they? I know for a fact that if I was a borderline Div. 1 prospect or if I just wanted to be on a team with a similar talent level and I went to a small rural school I would certainly transfer to increase my chances of being offered a scholarship and thereby improve my life through a free college education. Would I not owe it to myself to seek out the best life that I could attain? Is that any different than you quitting your job because you get offerred another job with better pay or benefits? Or do you think that once you start a job you owe your employer to never get a new job regardless of what opportunities present themselves that could be a better situation?

And just because you made me mad, I have to say this as well. Chilli would have been better than VC in 07 and 08 without any tranfers and they will be better this year without any tranfers. Sorry to burst your bubble. Good luck with the season. We will be focused on winning a championship.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Datchillicav brings up some very good points........I would like to know how many schools in the SE District have NEVER had a transfer at some point in their history.......probably no school can make that claim, and if they can, they're in the extreme minority........people move and their kids move with them, sometimes those kids play sports.......or they play in the band, but the band kids never get mentioned.

I can speak for Portsmouth as a PHS alum/fan........99% of the kids that have played for the Trojans in the 40 years I have been watching them have been born and raised in Portsmouth.......I can count on less than 10 fingers the number of significant transfers that we have had during that time.

The reason Portsmouth is a D3 school is because of the number of kids that have TRANSFERRED OUT, NOT IN........and we have lost some good basketball players during that time........if we could have kept them all, I can just imagine how good the Trojans would have been, considering we were pretty darn good without them.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

every school has transfers but we are talking about good baskeball players who transfer. same with foreign exchange students. did they come to their new school to play basketball? no one gives a rats rear end if kids transfer unless they are athletes. i doubt that anyone cares if a tuba players moves from school to school.

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Post by arrowman »

bvmv4life wrote:Zanesville is no longer considered South East....just East..
Zanesville moved? (wow, who knew that tectonic plates would shift rapidly enough to change a towns standing that quickly)
From the "Bible" Belt to the rust belt. Is that a latteral move?

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Post by arrowman »

sparky wrote:every school has transfers but we are talking about good baskeball players who transfer. same with foreign exchange students. did they come to their new school to play basketball? no one gives a rats rear end if kids transfer unless they are athletes. i doubt that anyone cares if a tuba players moves from school to school.
http://www.marchingbandplanet.com/forums/
Bet these people care?
They are just as nerdy as the SEOP posters, only posting about another topic.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

For the record, Portsmouth's 1961, 1978, and 1988 state championship teams were all homegrown players with no transfers.......I don't know about the 1931 state title team, but they probably were native Portsmouthites also.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

arrowman wrote:
Zanesville moved? (wow, who knew that tectonic plates would shift rapidly enough to change a towns standing that quickly)
Zanesville is considered SE? How? Please explain!

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

bvmv4life wrote:
arrowman wrote:
Zanesville is considered SE? How? Please explain!
They always have been. That's it.

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is this. There have been a ton of teams mentioned on here that people think will be a great team this year or the team to beat in their respect district/region. Tons. And the thing is that none of the suggestions have made me laugh yet. Usually, someone suggests a team or two or three and I say to myself, "yeah right. What is he smoking" . But there have been probably 15 teams mentioned and with the exception of Sheridan(whom I don't know much about) I agree with every one that that team has the POTENTIAL to do damage and go far in the tourney. This year will be an excellent year for SEO. The talent level throughout the SE part of the state is higher this year than I have ever seen it. We legitimately have multiple teams that could make state in all 3 divisions that we have teams. Most years there are a couple in one division with a shot and one or two with an outside chance in the other divisions. Any team that makes it out of the SE district tourney's this year in any division will be more than battle tested to compete in regionals and state with other teams from outside the area. It is possible that we could see a state champion in multiple divisions from SEO this year.

We should all sit back this year and just appreciate the talent and depth of the basketball in SEO this year. I will certainly try to see as many teams as possible myself.

(BTW, I don't think we will see two seperate state champions but my most likely combination would be Chillicothe in D2 and Ironton in D3 because of the mixture of talent and coaching.)

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

CoyDuke wrote:Consider this. Since 2000, 13 Southeast District teams have made it to the state final 4. If my info is correct, only 5 of those teams (Whiteoak, Wheelersburg (twice), Piketon, and Chesapeake) have made it without the aid of a transfer or foreign exchange student. The following list is only the transfers that I can remember. There may have been more. I think this shows that if a team wants to reach the highest level, it is imperative that they try to get a transfer to help them get there. It's unfortunate, but it's a reality in today's high school athletics.

Belpre-Kyle Holbert-Transfered from Marietta
Eastern Meigs-Matt Simpson-Attended 3 different high schools in 4 years (Belpre, Alexander, Eastern)

Eastern Brown-Foreign exchange student
Whiteoak-

Ironton-Zornes-coaches son came with dad

Wheelersburg
South Webster-Wanniger (arguably their best player came from Ironton)

Wheelersburg

Ray Chambers (transfered from somewhere in Cincinnati)

Logan Elm (Logan Hauserman 6'8" from Adena, and Amman, 1000 pt scorer came from Teays Valley)
Oak Hill (Bordon and Onderra came from Jackson)
Piketon

Ironton had another transfer on that 05 team. Can't remember the name though. 6'4-6'5 kid that played in the post. Moved to Boyd Co from NC or something like that.

I think Holbert transferred to Belpre from Warren. Not certain though.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

LetsGoPSU wrote:I always considered High School athletics as the purest form of competition, that is until the middle to late 90,s. Things I have seen, followed, read, some of it makes me sick to my stomach.Not because of the actions of individuals, but only because of the revelation that it will forever be played this way from now till I leave this world
I'm with you.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Raiderball wrote:
CoyDuke wrote:Consider this. Since 2000, 13 Southeast District teams have made it to the state final 4. If my info is correct, only 5 of those teams (Whiteoak, Wheelersburg (twice), Piketon, and Chesapeake) have made it without the aid of a transfer or foreign exchange student. The following list is only the transfers that I can remember. There may have been more. I think this shows that if a team wants to reach the highest level, it is imperative that they try to get a transfer to help them get there. It's unfortunate, but it's a reality in today's high school athletics.

Belpre-Kyle Holbert-Transfered from Marietta
Eastern Meigs-Matt Simpson-Attended 3 different high schools in 4 years (Belpre, Alexander, Eastern)

Eastern Brown-Foreign exchange student
Whiteoak-

Ironton-Zornes-coaches son came with dad

Wheelersburg
South Webster-Wanniger (arguably their best player came from Ironton)

Wheelersburg

Ray Chambers (transfered from somewhere in Cincinnati)

Logan Elm (Logan Hauserman 6'8" from Adena, and Amman, 1000 pt scorer came from Teays Valley)
Oak Hill (Bordon and Onderra came from Jackson)
Piketon

Ironton had another transfer on that 05 team. Can't remember the name though. 6'4-6'5 kid that played in the post. Moved to Boyd Co from NC or something like that.I think Holbert transferred to Belpre from Warren. Not certain though.
Cliff Howard is who you are thinking about, He had a HUGE GAME playing against 6'11 Keenan Ellis for North College Hill in the State Championship game (STATS BELOW).

State Final Box Score
Official Basketball Box Score
Ironton vs North College Hill
3-19-05 5:15 p.m. at Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VISITORS: Ironton 26-1
...............................TOT-FG....3-PT.................REBOUNDS
## Player Name............FG-FGA...FG-FGA...FT-FTA..OF..DE..TOT..PF..TP..A..TO..BLK..S..MIN
10 Gagai, Dennis....... * 9-15.... 3-7 1-3 3 4 7 4 22 3 2 1 2 32
13 Waginger, Brigham... *1-9 0-2 0-0 1 3 4 3 2 6 3 0 5 28
22 Zornes, Joe......... * 2-9 2-6 0-0 1 2 3 3 6 0 3 0 1 31
24 Howard, Cliffton......* 12-18......0-0.......4-9.......9....7....16....4...28...0...3....0...0..28
45 Williams, Marcus.... * 2-6 0-1 0-2 2 3 5 3 4 0 3 0 0 31
21 Miller, Chad........ 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 5
32 McBride, Brent...... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1
50 Kouns, Patrick...... 0-0 0-0 3-4 1 0 1 0 3 0 0 0 0 4
TEAM................
Totals.............. 26-57 5-16 8-18 17 20 37 17 65 10 15 1 8 160

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 13-29 44.8% 2nd Half: 13-28 46.4% Game: 45.6% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 2-9 22.2% 2nd Half: 3-7 42.9% Game: 31.3% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 7-15 46.7% 2nd Half: 1-3 33.3% Game: 44.4% 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOME TEAM: North College Hill 27-1
TOT-FG 3-PT..................................REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA.....FG-FGA.....FT-FTA.....OF.. DE.. TOT.. PF.. TP.. A.. TO.. BLK.. S.. MIN
15 Walker, Bill........ * 7-15 2-5 3-5 6 8 14 2 19 0 2 1 3 30
20 Goins, Darion....... * 3-8 0-3 0-2 1 1 2 0 6 1 1 0 0 22
21 Butler, Damon....... * 2-6 1-3 1-1 1 0 1 1 6 5 4 0 1 29
32 Mayo, O.J........... * 8-17 3-8 3-3 1 2 3 4 22 6 4 0 3 31
50 Ellis, Keenan....... * 6-8 0-0 2-2 3 4 7 3 14 0 2 5 0 22
04 Glover, Nathaniel... 0-1 0-1 0-0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
40 Leary, Paul......... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
42 Victorian, George... 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 2 2 3 0 1 1 0 0 10
44 Evans, Andre........ 2-2 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 3 4 0 0 0 0 7
TEAM................ 1 1
Totals.............. 28-58 6-21 9-13 14 18 32 16 71 13 15 6 8 160

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 15-30 50.0% 2nd Half: 13-28 46.4% Game: 48.3% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 5-12 41.7% 2nd Half: 1-9 11.1% Game: 28.6% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 5-9 55.6% 2nd Half: 4-4 100 % Game: 69.2% 0,2

Officials: Dennis Morris, J. Kevin Schwarzel and Wendell Burbridge
Technical fouls: Ironton-None. North College Hill-Walker, Bill.
Attendance: 14749
Score by Periods........... 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Ironton........................ 21 14 12 18 - 65
North College Hill............ 17 23 17 14 - 71
2005 Division III Boys State Basketball Tournament Final
Points in the paint-IRONTON 38,NCHILL 32. Points off turnovers-IRONTON 19,NCHILL 22.
2nd chance points-IRONTON 20,NCHILL 14. Fast break points-IRONTON 8,NCHILL 13.
Bench points-IRONTON 3,NCHILL 4. Score tied-4 times. Lead changed-4 times.
Last FG-IRONTON 4th-00:03, NCHILL 4th-00:12.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye is going to be back as a team to beat in the Eastern District.Shon Smith,Garrett Legrean,and Eddie Watson might be 3 of the top 5 players in the PVC.They should go around 16_4.Top Eastern D3 district teams are St Clairsvillle,Garaway,and Fort Frye...Warren should be good D2 Southeast.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I feel Portsmouth will be good with or without Bendolph.Good enough for that long tourney run, remains to be seen

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Yeah, Cliff Howard. Good player. Gave Ironton the post player they were missing that year.
Thanks OHBuckeye.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That Whiteoak team also had no players in the rotation over 6'2.....lost 5 of their top 7 to graduation and still went to the elite 8 the next season.....good times

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

With each passing day, the chances of Andrew Bendolph playing for Portsmouth are dwindling........but the Trojans will still be a very respectable club........we will have 2 or 3 kids that can play the point, and still have solid play at the 2 and 3 positions.......and the Dion McKinley/Tre Underwood tandem in the low post gives PHS a good balance inside/outside.

Where the loss of Bendolph may affect the Trojans the most will be the depth, because PHS was not a deep team to begin with even with Bendolph.......without him that leaves only Mason Jordan and L.J.Adams off the bench, but Duke Edwards is a kid who has the ability to step up his game and work himself into the rotation.

Portsmouth's best game last season was a 75-69 win at Warren (16-4), in which Dion McKinley and Tory Horne didn't play........it showed that the Trojans were still very capable of beating a very good team without all their studs.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Pre-season State Div.III Rankings has Chesapeake #3, Ironton #9, and Piketon #14. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in Portsmouth, I'm sure with Bendolph they could be a top ten team.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

I think Ironton is better than 9.

the hit king
Freshman Team

Post by the hit king »

what about peebles, oak hill, and the burg ??

Return to “Boys Basketball”