Logan Basketball 2010-11

Heavy D
All Conference

Re: Logan Basketball 2010-11

Post by Heavy D »

javagt wrote:JMO - Logan needs to develop a basketball program that doesn't rely
on the football/basketball players.. I know that some football players are
very good at basketball (we can see that in the recent years) but in order
for the TEAM TO DO WELL, most players need to commit to BB year round..
You can't insert football players into a line up and expect them to work
as a team just because they have basketball talent.
Logan has the kids to accomplish this. Again, this is my opinion...
I take it your son does not play football? The best thing Logan did is get the coach from Trimble back to help out if that is indeed true. JMO :mrgreen:

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

Little birdies saying that there was a basketball meeting at school the other day and HUGE turnout. Now whether that bodes well for the program or there were kids just getting out of class remains to be seen.

I understand Cassady is NOT playing, doesnt want to. Has not been to any workouts. Vorhees, NOT playing, and has not been to any workouts. Luke Miller apparently looks very good as does Buckler and Guess so far. The young man from Germany will add needed defense and athleticism to this team from what I hear. 6-3 and very solid. Also transfer from Lancaster is now at workouts as well. 6-4 lanky kid. Has some talent. Should make for an interesting couple of weeks to see what hand the staff has been dealt.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

sounds like things will be interesting during the preseason

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Loganchiefsnation wrote:Little birdies saying that there was a basketball meeting at school the other day and HUGE turnout. Now whether that bodes well for the program or there were kids just getting out of class remains to be seen.

I understand Cassady is NOT playing, doesnt want to. Has not been to any workouts. Vorhees, NOT playing, and has not been to any workouts. Luke Miller apparently looks very good as does Buckler and Guess so far. The young man from Germany will add needed defense and athleticism to this team from what I hear. 6-3 and very solid. Also transfer from Lancaster is now at workouts as well. 6-4 lanky kid. Has some talent. Should make for an interesting couple of weeks to see what hand the staff has been dealt.
The coach from Trimble has proven his ability to develop exchange students from what were once communist nations. I am sure we all remember Mount Rusky, the mighty Russian who he coached while at Trimble.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Heavy D wrote:
javagt wrote:JMO - Logan needs to develop a basketball program that doesn't rely
I take it your son does not play football? The best thing Logan did is get the coach from Trimble back to help out if that is indeed true. JMO :mrgreen:
Here you go again! Did Trimble disband there Basketball Team?

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Heavy D wrote:
LOL - My son is nearly 40 years old... Play basketball year 'round, and you get better....

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Loganchiefsnation, just curious, do you have a kid on the team?

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Uhh no. If you look at my profile you'll see im not of age to have one in the program. But why?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan Varsity Schedule
2010-11

Head Coach John Helber
Asst. Varsity Coach Koons

12/7 vs Bloom Carroll
12/14 @ Fairfield Union
12/17 vs Jackson
12/21 vs Gallia Academy

12/28 @ Warren Local

1/4 @ Marietta
1/8 @ Vinton Co.
1/11 @ Nelsonville York
1/14 @ Portsmouth
1/18 vs Chillicothe
1/21 @ Jackson
1/22 vs Athens
1/25 @ Alexander
1/28 @ Gallia Academy
1/29 @ Lancaster

2/1 vs Marietta
2/4 vs Warren Local

2/8 @ Chillicothe
2/12 @ Newark
2/18 vs Portsmouth

Home : 8 gms
On the Road: 12 gms

... best of luck to 1st year head coach John Helber & the rest of the Logan coaching staff. Numbers are way up from 7th grade-Varsity this year. From the posts so far it would appear that a few players from the JV are not coming out this season, gives opportunities for others to step up. Don't see the "MVP" type player THIS year but I do see players who WILL leave everything on the floor at the varsity level. One of the emphasized coaching points for this season is "fundamentals" from the varsity down the line to the middle school grades ... winning records at the lower grades will take a back seat to making sure that EVERY PLAYER that makes their run thru the program WILL have the fundamentals to contribute at the upper levels... emphasis especially at making the "strongest" younger players at the lower levels work the hardest at fundamentals so that these "standout" players REMAIN "standouts" at the upper levels when EVERYONE catches up physically... great philosophy being imposed by Coach Helber and staff to create a solid hoops "program" in the Land of Purple ...

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

javagt wrote:
Heavy D wrote:
LOL - My son is nearly 40 years old... Play basketball year 'round, and you get better....

Yes and get burnt out on basketball, and miss the great times of being a multi-sport athlete. Ask Katie Smith how many sports she played next time you see her. From what I have heard she got to be pretty good. :mrgreen:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

pfloyd wrote:Logan Varsity Schedule
2010-11

Head Coach John Helber
Asst. Varsity Coach Koons

12/7 vs Bloom Carroll
12/14 @ Fairfield Union
12/17 vs Jackson
12/21 vs Gallia Academy

12/28 @ Warren Local

1/4 @ Marietta
1/8 @ Vinton Co.
1/11 @ Nelsonville York
1/14 @ Portsmouth
1/18 vs Chillicothe
1/21 @ Jackson
1/22 vs Athens
1/25 @ Alexander
1/28 @ Gallia Academy
1/29 @ Lancaster

2/1 vs Marietta
2/4 vs Warren Local

2/8 @ Chillicothe
2/12 @ Newark
2/18 vs Portsmouth

Home : 8 gms
On the Road: 12 gms

... best of luck to 1st year head coach John Helber & the rest of the Logan coaching staff. Numbers are way up from 7th grade-Varsity this year. From the posts so far it would appear that a few players from the JV are not coming out this season, gives opportunities for others to step up. Don't see the "MVP" type player THIS year but I do see players who WILL leave everything on the floor at the varsity level. One of the emphasized coaching points for this season is "fundamentals" from the varsity down the line to the middle school grades ... winning records at the lower grades will take a back seat to making sure that EVERY PLAYER that makes their run thru the program WILL have the fundamentals to contribute at the upper levels... emphasis especially at making the "strongest" younger players at the lower levels work the hardest at fundamentals so that these "standout" players REMAIN "standouts" at the upper levels when EVERYONE catches up physically... great philosophy being imposed by Coach Helber and staff to create a solid hoops "program" in the Land of Purple ...

Glad to see former Trimble cage boss gets the promotion. Obviously someone at Logan sees what the Trimble powers did not. Which is the value that this man brings to the table for a basketball program.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Or maybe include Bo Jackson or Red Grange in there as well! LOL!! Using Smith as an example is pretty stretched considering she was the greatest athlete to ever come out of Logan. And that was 18 years ago. Times are different, and back then kids not named Smith played one or two sports. Now finding a 3 sport athlete to excel at all 3 sports is rare in my opinion. I have older friends who tell me they played basketball at the old central playground 3 nights a week from spring til fall and thats not happening now. But it made them all better and none of them got burned out by it. You either want to get better or you dont. And playing a sport as much as possible will help that. Dedication and work eithic have been something that has been lacking the last few years and the group coming in and up have dedicated themselves to basketball first it seems.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Loganchiefsnation wrote:Or maybe include Bo Jackson or Red Grange in there as well! LOL!! Using Smith as an example is pretty stretched considering she was the greatest athlete to ever come out of Logan. And that was 18 years ago. Times are different, and back then kids not named Smith played one or two sports. Now finding a 3 sport athlete to excel at all 3 sports is rare in my opinion. I have older friends who tell me they played basketball at the old central playground 3 nights a week from spring til fall and thats not happening now. But it made them all better and none of them got burned out by it. You either want to get better or you dont. And playing a sport as much as possible will help that. Dedication and work eithic have been something that has been lacking the last few years and the group coming in and up have dedicated themselves to basketball first it seems.

So you can use your older friends as an example, but I can't? I see your logic there. :roll: I know kids who play 3 sports and still don't miss an evening basketball game at the park, so that argument does not hold water. Like you said, you either want to get better or you don't and playing more than one sport does not detract from that. Forcing kids to choose a sport turns many of them off, and cheats them out of doing things they want to do. It is a selfish attitude in my opinion.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Im not saying that at all, I never said choose one sport and where did I say you cant use your older friends?? What are you talking about?? Are you reading what I wrote?? Anyway, if you think playing 3 sports for 3 months at atime doesnt detract from focusing on one sport for 6 months at atime then i live on earth and you live in Mammby Pammby Land. You are obviously going to get better at say baseball for an example if you spend 6 mos in the batting cage vs 1 month in March. And my example I used about Central School was just to state that it was done back then with no burnout spending so much time focused on one sport, and it wont do that now. But the dedication is not there for one sport, let alone 3 sports the way it USED to be. But the group of kids in the program now, focus most of their attention on basketball first which will help in the long run.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Playing pick up games at the park, or Central school, or wherever is much different than spending hour upon hour in the batting cage, or any other structured skill development activity. I have coached kids who spent all Winter and Spring in the batting cage and many who did not. The ones who did usually start the season off hitting better, but by well before mid season the others have caught up with and sometimes passed them up. But what I am reading is that you must think either Angle, Mays, etc... should have either not played football, or not bothered coming out for basketball last year, or the year before. Is that what you are saying? Has that really been the problem with Logan over the last several years? Would the team have been better without those guys?

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Uhh no thats not what I said; Im saying 3 sport athletes who excel greatly in their sports, like an Angle or Joey Conrad or Johnny Conrad or Katie Smith are a rare breed these days. Thats what I said. And from my understanding, back in the days of the central playground, they didnt play for an hour they played for HOURS. 3 days a week. You do that for 6 months and youre going to get better, i dont care who you are. And AGAIN, I used baseball as an example as to how you can get better and develop if you spend more time on one sport then less time on more sports. You obviously have had your own results that you dont feel are agreeable to my opinion, which is fine. And no I didnt say those guys shouldnt have played last year, I am saying that this group that appear to be in place for the varsity and jv and even frosh from what I have been told, put basketball as their first sport which will allow them to play more in the off season and in the summer which i think will allow them to get better in the long run and not burned out. Logan's biggest problem i think, again my opinion, is that they have had football players playing basketball and now it appears they have baskteball players playing the game who are willing to focus more time to basketball first and their second sport second. You need to spend as much time as you can developing your game no matter what it is, if its your primary game, to get better and help the program get better.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

I won't argue that. One thing I will say is, basketball is in my opinion the easiest sport for a kid to participate in day in and day out. You don't see very many pick up baseball or football games any more. But the parks are full of basketball games. But my previous point was, these are unstructured and therefore no pressure. I saw a basketball coach make a crucial mistake one time. He held open gym over the summers, and some shoot outs. When it was all voluntary, with no pressure to be there he had really good attendance. But when he thought he was going to be even better than usual one year, he put added pressure on the kids to be there. His attendance went down, not up. I think it was because the kids felt they were being almost forced to show up. I heard complaints that the coach was trying to make basketball a year round sport from both players and parents. Truth was, the coach had not changed any thing except to place more importance on attendance to the summer activities. He didn't add any activities. He just told them that they needed to be there if they wanted to be the best they could be, and said they need to make sure everyone was there every day to make the team better. It went so far south as some of the players not even coming out because they didn't want to spend what they felt was all summer focused on basketball.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Well I dont think they make basketball an all summer deal anymore, at least not now. Dont know about before; but i think they went for a month last summer; gave kids time to be kids. The most important thing for me is to have fun; its a game first and the rest is secondary. I like the staff they have in place, they will try to make it fun, teach fundementals, and build on it each year. Not trying to reinvent the wheel i hear and thats a good thing.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Loganchiefsnation wrote:Or maybe include Bo Jackson or Red Grange in there as well! LOL!! Using Smith as an example is pretty stretched considering she was the greatest athlete to ever come out of Logan. And that was 18 years ago. Times are different, and back then kids not named Smith played one or two sports. Now finding a 3 sport athlete to excel at all 3 sports is rare in my opinion. I have older friends who tell me they played basketball at the old central playground 3 nights a week from spring til fall and thats not happening now. But it made them all better and none of them got burned out by it. You either want to get better or you dont. And playing a sport as much as possible will help that. Dedication and work eithic have been something that has been lacking the last few years and the group coming in and up have dedicated themselves to basketball first it seems.
Logan has done away with all the outside courts.
They have two empty play grounds with nothing on them.
Kids in the Eastend and around the middle Westend do not have a place to play basketball [or even for kids to play]
The only main court is over at Mingo Park,where it might be two miles from the Eastend.
I don't even know if they have the court at St. Johns anymore.
No wonder the kids are so over weight-- as they say
It looks like the big wheels in Logan just don't care about the youth today
We shouldn't have to depend on coaches to be the only ones to form a place to play basketball.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Central & East schools had the courts I used to like .....
I could dunk it at St. Johns .... (my 2 inch vertical leap)
There was even a basketball court at the swimming pool...

Funny thing, I have a grade school basketball court across from me in Marietta now...
When I was a kid, I had East school court across the street....

The times have changed

Return to “Boys Basketball”