Logan Basketball 2010-11

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: Logan Basketball 2010-11

Post by C-Bolt »

Swimming pool still has a basket and the new Central School has some outdoor courts I believe but with all the fencing around the place don't know if kids would have access any time they want like the old Central,I played alot games at the old Central playground when growing up,it was the premier place to play back then, rims were always tight and nets in good shape,still remember the time when a kid was dunking and got undercut and came down flat on his back, I think it was Dan Starner boy that was scary!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

C-Bolt wrote:Swimming pool still has a basket and the new Central School has some outdoor courts I believe but with all the fencing around the place don't know if kids would have access any time they want like the old Central,I played alot games at the old Central playground when growing up,it was the premier place to play back then, rims were always tight and nets in good shape,still remember the time when a kid was dunking and got undercut and came down flat on his back, I think it was Dan Starner boy that was scary!
I remember when the swimming pool had chain nets

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

Asked around tonight and 8th grade had 19 at their open gym, frosh had 20 at their open gym and JV and varsity had 20 for their open gym. Numbers appear to be up I would guess.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

noreply66 wrote:
C-Bolt wrote:Swimming pool still has a basket and the new Central School has some outdoor courts I believe but with all the fencing around the place don't know if kids would have access any time they want like the old Central,I played alot games at the old Central playground when growing up,it was the premier place to play back then, rims were always tight and nets in good shape,still remember the time when a kid was dunking and got undercut and came down flat on his back, I think it was Dan Starner boy that was scary!

Looks like the playground across the street has them now and its not full court like I thought just 2 baskets side by side,,,,what about the activity center,can kids go in there and shoot? Athens has got a great rec center that anybody can go in and play for 5 dollars a day,2 full courts and a couple side baskets one is a 8 footer for real small kids,I love going down there its a first class place!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

C-Bolt wrote:
noreply66 wrote:

Looks like the playground across the street has them now and its not full court like I thought just 2 baskets side by side,,,,what about the activity center,can kids go in there and shoot? Athens has got a great rec center that anybody can go in and play for 5 dollars a day,2 full courts and a couple side baskets one is a 8 footer for real small kids,I love going down there its a first class place!
I've been to the center and it might be about 6 to 8 boys playing at the most. They look like they might be out of
school--Just don't see the youth at these courts

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i saw alot of kids playing at mingo over the summer. some resent grads and some younger. but, as some of you have, said nothing close to what is was like at the old central court in 80's and 90's. we played pick up games from 10 -11am until the lights turned off at 11pm. and all ages and sexes(katie smith, melissa cooper, tez craft etc..)

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

I was talking with a friend last night and we were discussing the Logan basketball program and years past when they have had their greatest successes. In 1985 or 86 when Logan went 22-1; they had one guy on the team that played football, Keith Myers. Kerry York, Jim Waid, Eric Wally, Troy Wright were basketball players first and foremost. Jack Miller, North South game participant, basketball only. After that thru the late 80s, John Thompkins, Sean Spatar, Tim Moore, Doug Stiverson, Chad Stiverson, Sam Eggleston, Jerry Gabriel, Jim White, all basketball first. Jose Medina, Jim Redd played football. Some of Logan's better teams have been led by basketball first type of players. The one exception I will say is the year they went to the Regionals. Logan had a group of great athletes leading that team. Joey and Johnny Conrad; but were added by solid basketball players in Matt Taulbee, and a few others.
This year's JV team is made up by a solid group of basketball first type of players who have played alot together and should bring alot of success to Logan the next few years. But the varsity also seems to have several key players who play basketball first. Luke Miller, Kyle Guess, Kenny Buckler, Ronnie Webb, Nick Wotring, and a few others. I think good things are on the horizon for Logan baskteball, this year may be a rough season with 12 road games, (5 in a row I think) but you never know.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

I remember watching St Henry in the basketball state championship game where all 5 starters played football I was told. I think Athens had a pretty good basketball season last year with some football players playing. Some of the best teams at Trimble have had football players playing. Maybe Logan is different?

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

I get it! You dont agree. :122248

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Loganchiefsnation... pretty impressive information on history of Logan basketball dating as far back as the 80's especially since you weren't even born yet!

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

md2020 wrote:Loganchiefsnation... pretty impressive information on history of Logan basketball dating as far back as the 80's especially since you weren't even born yet!
lol - But I think he hit the nail on the head.. A good example is Matt Taulbee .. In the years I was in Logan, I don't remember
ever seeing him without a basketball. ... The young man worked hard at his game, and it paid off... Other good examples on
his list...

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

md2020 wrote:Loganchiefsnation... pretty impressive information on history of Logan basketball dating as far back as the 80's especially since you weren't even born yet!
Soooo because I wasnt born back then (which I techniquely was, 1988) somehow means I am not allowed to know what went on?? Or maybe the guy i was talking to about all of that, was in fact born then and played then, and we were sharing info about his time and what my opinions were about stuff more recently!!?!? Hmmmm, maybe?? Im not sure I see the point in the comment at all; but whatever. :roll:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

From reading this thread it looks like there are people who think the only, or at least the best, way for Logan to build a successful basketball program is to have players who are dedicated only to basketball. Well good luck with that! Way too many things for kids to do these days for them to want to shoot basketballs every day of their lives. That is a simple fact of the times.

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Post by hayseed »

Loganchiefsnation wrote:
Soooo because I wasnt born back then (which I techniquely was, 1988) somehow means I am not allowed to know what went on?? Or maybe the guy i was talking to about all of that, was in fact born then and played then, and we were sharing info about his time and what my opinions were about stuff more recently!!?!? Hmmmm, maybe?? Im not sure I see the point in the comment at all; but whatever. :roll:
Seems to be a reflection as to the credibility of Loganchiefsnation profile?????

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Based on what? Someone's comment? Holy snap judgements batman.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Hey folks, its not all about winning, even though I LOVE TO WIN.. Its about the Kids, Its about memories, its developing young men, work ethic, and hopefully that hard work pays off. Some kids can use othe sports to develope and improve on the things that slow them down... football might improve a weak definsive game, track / cross country might help stamina. Lets face it, some of these boys can do anything they set their mind to, some are gonna have things handed to them their whole lives, and some are gonna have to bust their butts to get ahead no matter what they do.... So the moral of the story...face everyday as a new one, do the best you can with what you have, and support your kids and help them to be better than you ever expected them to be.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

how are things going so far

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Helber's boyz will have their first scrimmage tomorrow on the road at Grandview I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one) ... I hope to see Logan for the first time next Tuesday evening when Southeastern comes to Jim's Gym ... also next Saturday Logan boyz/girlz varsity will be taking on Logan Elm in the Foundation Game at LHS beginning at 6 pm with the girls game ...

... good luck to all of the Logan boyz squads as we begin the Helber Era of Logan Hoops ...

eaglesrock
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesrock »

They played at Granville. From what I was told they did not win a quarter, but they were very competitive with a VERY physical Granville team. Overall Coach Helber and his staff were pretty happy.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

how did the Chiefs do tonight

Return to “Boys Basketball”