Coal Grove Basketball

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Coal Grove Basketball

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Raiderball wrote:Yeah, that's the two I was thinking of. Couldn't remember Jackson kids name. Both very good players.
Rose Hill also lost Michael Terry to Fairview and Kennedy to Chesapeake. They have a new Head Coach this year, Justin Wagoner (I work for Him at AK Steel). They have some good young players coming up.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

fuzzhead wrote:A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Well said.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

fuzz u r wrong on this one. ward has run off most of the players himself. only 14 or 15 boys are playing for him in the whole school. your right it is suppose to be about the kids and they r the one's that r suffering because of this coach.there is a better bb team at cg walking the halls thanks to randy ward. ask some of your close associates at the grove and they will tell you the same thing.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Rico, a lot of my "close associates" have certain loyalties they choose to appease. I don't have these loyalties and so I have a different point of view. I shoot straight from the hip and not from riding shotgun in the ol' CG political stagecoach. The coach is in a no-win situation and is simply doing the best he can with the hand he has been dealt. One or two players wouldn't make this team's record much different - nor would another coach. Until basketball is treated as something more than bother and not like a cheap pimped out hussy, the losses will keep piling up over the years. Basketball players win basketball games - kids with basketball talent who are committed to helping the basketball team during basketball season. Gotta get kids to commit to playing the game and getting better. That is a hard thing to do at a school like CG, where basketball plays second fiddle to fooseball. Ward comes from coaching at schools where basketball is given much higher priority - that's why his teams have won. Basketball must be given priority during basketball season. JMO

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

cg had an undefeated 8th grade group 2 yrs. ago and now hardly none of them play because of this coach. randy is for randy only. he does not have the kids best interest at heart. talk to him and it is always i this and i that. he applied for at least 3 jobs over the summer, boyd co. and greenup for sure and they don't want him. they all know how he is. i think we do agree on one thing, we want what's best for the kids at cg. they r all that should matter when all is said and done.

The T-R-U-T-H
Waterboy

Post by The T-R-U-T-H »

RICO, RICO, RICO, your not playing very nice!!! Shame on you, now be a good little boy and mind you manners!!!! It is so easy to get on here and bash Ward because of your blind hatred toward the man for whatever reason it may be. Maybe your a CG Football Fanatic (maybe even a coach yourself...wink wink), your not fooling anybody. Please show some respect. I have heard that the basketball player numbers are down this year to 16 or 17, for whatever reason it is what it is; however Ward will make due with whatever he is given. He is not going to beg or call kids to play (which I hear is common practice with the CG Football Team), like it or not Ward runs a disciplined basketball program, which is not too popular with kids these days. So if kids want to be given playing time instead of making them earn it, so what have the kids accomplished then........absolutely nothing!!!!! I have heard from some of the CG faithful that a certain football coach has been working against Ward since he has been at CG to keep football players from participating in basketball. That is where the problem begins and ends. So if your going to bash someone you might want to get your facts straight before you do so. I do not always agree myself with everything Ward does on coaching floor, but I do give credit where credit is due and he has brought CG basketball back to a competitive level. So far this season does not reflect that but I think he basically has one true varsity player in the Monnier kid and the rest has are learning to play at that level. But I am a firm believer that athletes should be shared not monopolized and until that day comes all CG sports will suffer!!! Oh, one more question RICO how many varisty basketball games have you coached and won? I just wanted to know what qualifies you as an expert to bash Ward like you do!!!!! Think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just never know when The T-R-U-T-H needs to be told !!!!!!

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

All.
There is no doubt coaches focus on their own sports first. Look at the participation in football, powerlifting, track. All numbers are high and results are solid. No matter who we blame, if the kids are walking the hallway and want to play basketball and arent that is sad. In life we dont always like our boss or coach but nobody can take away the personal pride you get from giving 100% and making memories. It also is ok to not play if the situation is not good for your child but lets (community/school leadership) put the kids first and be leaders for our kids and the correct decisions will be made. I for one feel sorry for the kids who want to play and arent and the memories they are missing out on. Its hard being HASBEENS (like us) when you havent been anything.
No matter what is happening I am proud of the group that is on the floor for CG now. Whether they win 10 games or 0. Nobody can take away from them the experience of playing the sport they love.
One thing to think about is school and community pride. Look at St. Joe. I always enjoy watching them play because I dont care if they win by 30 or lose by 50 the community and crowd supports those kids giving their best and that is fun to watch.
So the real question is how do we get that pride back at CG in all sports and let the kids have the time of their lives not focusing on just winning but just PLAYING.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

truth , i promise u they don't play because of ward, period. if the kids don't play for him get him out. it is about the kids, who r teenagers. this isn't college or pros. go talk to each kid who won't play and they will tell you it is because of him. the football coaches encouraged the kids to play but they don't want to.. point blank. send him back to ky. but the fact is nobody over there wants him either, they know the true randy . he has one true varsity player because he run the rest off, truth. the good ol boys who hired him are now gone from the grove, so they should have sent randy with them when they got rid of them.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Ok Rico, let's try this from a different angle: in your opinion, why do you think the kids don't want to play for the basketball coach? What could he do any differently to get the numbers up?

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

not on either side but this is how the players were in 8th and whos still playing
Rye Goodwin (still playing)
Bubba Wood
Eric Knipp
Drew Tate
Austin Barker (still playing)
Bryan Jenkins (still playing)
John Kazee
Cody Gool
Justin Delawder
Dylan Melvin
this group of kids are seniors

Greg Bender
Jordan Beals
T.J Barrett
Shane Reynolds
Brandon Doyle (still playing)
Colton Bryant (still playing)
Bryan Steele
Jacob Pauley (still playing)
this group of kids are juniors

Tanner Duty
Justin Mullins (still playing)
Codi Matney
Alex Bare
Brandon Mowel (still playing)
Levi Wyatt
Cameron Rowe (still playing)
Kyle Estep
Paul Brisson
Bryce Tripplet
Cody Pennington
Trevor Barrett (still playing)
this group of kids are sophmores

theres just no kids playing for whatever reason

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

ty matt, the numbers speak for themselves. fuzz, i don't know what his problem is. i just want the kids to enjoy their high school career by playing a game they like. it is a game and it should be enjoyed. if coach can't get this across to the kids then he is failing.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

First of all, quite frankly, I don't see how having most of the names on that list would help this team at all. I don't see one player on that list who is at the same level as Monnier. Most of them wouldn't make the team if all those kids tried out for the team. Give me a break - don't try to distort this. How many teams in this area have 30 players? Nice try.
2ndly - go to Coach Lucas and tell him that football is "just a game" or that it is simply about "playing a game you like". That kind of talk is for dodgeball during gym class. Football is not treated like that. Why should you expect the basketball coach to act any differently? He wants to have success just like any other coach.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

Rico Suave, I think you're ignoring a huge issue here, maybe the kids just don't want to play, period. Nothing to do with Ward running them off or one of the football coaches coercing them not to play basketball and powerlift instead. (yes, both things are happening and if you can't see that, then either open your eyes or quit being a fool and ignoring the truth) Kids are changing. They'd rather sit on their hineys and do nothing. One sport is good enough. Most don't have what it takes to play three sports, for one reason or the other. And, I'm talking ability and/or attitude wise. Many have their own cars or buddies have cars and want to find other things to do than run around doing line drills and shooting lay-ups. It isn't just Ward, it is much more and if you can't or won't see it, you're just plain shortsighted or a fool. You decide which.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

u all have no clue what's going on in cg. i will leave it at this. time will tell, and we will see who is left standing.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

rico suave wrote:u all have no clue what's going on in cg. i will leave it at this. time will tell, and we will see who is left standing.
Really, no clue??? Just what I'd expect from a know-it-all cg yes-man.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Ironton, Chesapeake, and Oak Hill have shown that you can succeed at football and basketball - without all of the kids playing both sports. Talent levels will vary, there will be down years but it can work.

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Vultures are circling at CG and the coaching staff knows it.

How are things better than when Ward took over? Don't give me last years inflated win total against a contrived slate of cupcakes. Look at who the wins were over folks not the total number. :122246 That is precisely what Ward doesn't want you to do. Maybe Matt52 or someone could post last years slate and the record of the teams that CG beat for all to see. If you look at it closely and impartially I think it is apparent that some smoke and mirrors were used. Wonder what his record at CG is in the OVC, non-parocial schools and against teams with a winning record? :roll:

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

in 2007 vs OVC schools coach ward was
1-9 only win was 1 point over river valley
2008 5-5 beating
river valley once
rock hill twice
south point twice
2009 (not 100% sure)
but pretty sure 5-5 as well
so hes 11-19 in ovc?

coachdale
Waterboy

Post by coachdale »

Now is not the time for consternation and gnashing of teeth as the boys who are out need a united community behind them more than ever.

"I would hope you would support who the team is. Not, who they are not. These individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 20 nights for the next 3 months, to represent you, Coal Grove high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team."

Save the tossing of ship's items overboard until the season is complete, please. The boys deserve that much, don't you think?

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

What is his overall record and his record against the big 3 of St. Joe, Notre Dame and Rose Hill Christian? How many of his total wins are at their expense? :122249

Notice Boyd County is nowhere to be found on this years schedule. They are much improved. Ward wants no part of them now. :122248

Return to “Boys Basketball”