Coal Grove Basketball

Demonofthedeep
Waterboy

Re: Coal Grove Basketball

Post by Demonofthedeep »

So actually being competitive in OVC Conference games and winning some of them over the last 3 seasons is worst than putting up zero wins like the Hornets did before Ward's arrival is better???? Half-Slice I'm not from Coal Grove, but I know simple mathematics and that doesn't even make since. As it always seems to be at The Grove, all that matters is football and whatever the players are doing to stay ready for the next season. In reality Grove fans the football program seems to be motivated by what, beating bad teams (the same argument, being made about Ward) and losing horribly to the mighty Oaks of Oak Hill? Winning the OVC isn't everything Grove Football fans until they can get past the 1st round of the playoffs then what success do you have? I say stop hating and backstabbing each other and a small school like CG can be successful at all sports, but nothing's going to change and Ward would be better off just retiring then putting up with that nonsense. But, then again that's probably what the die hard football people want, more time for power lifting, and track in the spring for conditioning. But, I assure you once Ward is gone might as well go back to 0 win seasons and complete futility in the OVC.

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

07-08
wins
lewis county
p-west
st.joe
east
symmes valley
river valley
st.joe
7-14
st.joe
boyd county
symmes valley
south point
rock hill
green
st.joe
east
rock hill
south point
west
river valley
tourny
nelsonville-york
13-9
west
boyd county
raceland
boyd county
notre dame
rose hill
notre dame
rock hill
rock hill
river valley
fairland
south point
river valley
minford
14-7
2009 not sure 100% correct but close
34-30 at CG

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Preach it, preach it, preach it D of D! Saying that you hit the nail on the head would be a disservice to you. Top 10 post I've read about CG athletics since I joined this site
bar none. What a great first post.

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Randy's biggest problem has been his inability to attract talent from nearby districts and states. No Cam Thouroughman's coming over from the Bluegrass.:lol: Ward was a much better coach when he had Mike Scott at Greenup and Cam the Ram at Clay :122249

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Great players do make great coaches.

The T-R-U-T-H
Waterboy

Post by The T-R-U-T-H »

Well it seems like the vultures are out now...LOL Yes, of course I am referring to his # 1 Fan Rico Suave (which everyone knows who that is), Half-Pint/Slice or whatever he goes by, and Matt52 - who had to quit playing bball under Ward at CG because he simply could not keep up. You guys have all the answers and make it sound so simple. Let's look at the obvious shall we, according to Matt52's list alot of kids are not playing, but correct me if I'm wrong but the vast majority on that list play football and from what I've heard good ol' football coach J.L. told the kids if they want to play FB they cannot play bball. Shame Shame on little Lucas, your not playing nice maybe you should be in time out and maybe you will be out when you daddy retires, your stronghold is not as great as you think!!!!! Secondly, of in any sport the better the players are the better a coach looks (duh...common sense), so if you do not have have great talent why would you schedule a bunch of powerhouses....just so that the CG vultures can sit back and laugh at the coach & kids who are trying their best. Seriously, if things are so bad with Ward being there, then why were they not winning alot of games before he took over; I do not see the CG vultures talking about that...must have short term memory loss. I noticed RICO has yet to respond to me directly about my last post and believe me I am waiting for that with baited breath. Regardless of the situation at CG it will never change until the jealousy of wanting CG to be only a FB school and nothing else!!!! I welcome all of the vultures to respond to my comments, since I am not from CG and not a big fan of Ward but respect what he has done, I am just trying to keep things in perspective!!! I'm just tired of all the negativity and bashing that goes on in these posts.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

ward is wrong for cg kids, period. if u say u know who i am then inbox me and we will get together and talk face to face. i am not a football coach and you must be one of wards bb sidekicks i will be waiting on your message which i am sure i won't get .

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

CG slides to 0-1 in OVC play and 0-4 overall tonight with a 31-54 loss at home to Fairland. I wasn't there but it sure looks like scoring more than 40 points a game is going to be a real challenge for the Grove this year. For a second game in a row, the Hornets were only down 9 at the half and then got put away in the 2nd half.

SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

T-R-U-T-H: You need to get your facts straight. The coach did not threaten or tell any kid they could not play basketball. He encourages them to play. They chose not to play because they do not like the man.

Coal Grove is traditionally known for football. And Coach Dave Lucas' program speaks for itself!

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

What is Coal Groves record thus far.

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

All this chatter and bad feelings towards your coach and the Panthers looming. Some have said the vultures are circling and they are waiting to get the remains left behind by the Panthers. Hope and pray for school to be cancelled and at least you'll buy some time before the inevitable. Good luck to the Hornets in the OVC.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Peake Power, welcome to the world of small-town politics where if you ain't from the Grove, y'all ain't wanted. No one in Coal Grove aside from the coach and the players who play for him want a real basketball program - they want the equivalent of a winter PE class after school hours in the form of basketball practice and two ball games a week. If they win, great. If not, that's ok too because the primary focus is football. And I'm not dissing the football coahes or their program - they have a duty to do what's best for their program and they've done a very good job of turning the whole program around in my own opinion. However, there is no question that weightlifting and basketball collide during the winter, like track and baseball do in the spring. Powerlifting at CG is not like powerlifting at other schools - it's a very big deal. It's an unwritten rule pretty much that if you're playing football, you're going to lift in the winter - a lot. All the while, you've got a basketball coach who has coached at schools where basketball is top priority. Culture clash. Basketball is treated with respect and you're expected to be in the gym practicing whenever practice is held, even if it's in open gym during summer or fall. Complaining about the coach's strictness is the height of foolishness. People get on the football forum and whine about Coach Lucas being too soft and then complain because Ward is too strict and kids don't want to play for him. What a laugh.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

fuzz u have bashed every coach at coal grove in the past yet take up for this jerk whom u have no clue about. u use the politics from cg thing, but that is gone now. new superintendant from outside the grove and now he is seeing what the true randy is all about. ask the teachers at the high school and they will tell you how he is at the school, for randy and doesn't care about any one else or the kids, and most of the teachers at the high school are not from the grove now either.even with the wins and all at greenup, they nor clay want this cat back at their schools. they found out what the true randy is all about.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Now Rico we were having a reasonable conversation and we've agreed on a bunch of stuff in the past and now you accuse me of bashing coaches - something I have NEVER done on this site. That hurts.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

Lord i apologize, with me and all the starving pygmies in new guinea

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

That's cold man. All I did was take up for the guy and I get crucified.
Can you name me one person in the Grove who is more qualified to be a basketball coach?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I can tell you the big complaints at Clay with Coach Ward (from what I was told by parents of players) was the 5 hour practices, cutting into school study time, and the fact that he didn't like kids playing soccer or running track. I thought he was a good coach, just a little theatrical. He liked to work the crowd at times, but fundementally, he was a very good high school coach.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Would he have beaten Rock Hill tonight with the team Clay has right now, Rocky?

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

there u go fuzz, ward is not for the kids. he is the one that doesn't want kids playing other sports at cg. he could care less about them getting their study time in or what ever else they need to do. we need someone for the kids whoever it may be.

buckey fan
Waterboy

Post by buckey fan »

Rico & Fuzz,
More important than past panzy schedules, why do you guys think the Grove did not
reschedule the Chesapeake Friday game to next day (Saturday)? It seams to me that
February games are harder to make up than nice days like Saturday!!!! Correct me if
I'm wrong, I do not think Grove had another game scheduled on Saturday. What reason
did they use for rescheduling, when U.S. 52 was clear and several other games were
being played that day????

Return to “Boys Basketball”