Meigs @ Eastern

coach_k
JV Team

Re: Meigs @ Eastern

Post by coach_k »

expert witness wrote:George Jones, coach K must be a delusional parent. The players on the Meigs bench couldnt start for most JV teams.
It was YOU that said players on the Meigs bench couldn't start for most JV teams!!!

I will stand by what I said and say that Meigs does have talent on its bench...More talent then most know!!!

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

They couldn't. Im not bashing your players, I just dont think you should build them up into something they are not. they are good kids and they play hard but they dont have a great deal of talent or skill. It's just a fact. By the way, I hope Meigs wins. I do think they have comparable talent to eastern as far as starters go and they have a definate advantage in the post. Unfortunately, this will not matter as the officials at eastern will make sure 1 or both of the Meigs post players will be on the bench with 3 fouls early in the 2nd quarter. The game will then be in the hands of the guards. Eastern will then PRESS and be allowed to push, grab jerseys and basically be allowed to do anything they want defensively. this will lead to around 30-35 meigs turnovers and a very frustrating but predictable loss. Trust me, the script is always the same out there. Good luck, I hope i am wrong.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

I am just wondering how you are making the judgement that the boys on the bench don't have the talent or skills. I'm just about betting that you haven't followed the lower class-man..Have you went to every one of their JV games the last 2-3 years, have you even went to a handful of them? Have you seen sophomore Dustin Ulbridge play? Have you seen Cody Mattox play? What about sophomore Dillon Boyer play? I am betting you haven't followed the team too closely and you have no way of knowing these boys talent or skills.

I have to agree that we could be in trouble if officiating does go that way and also with the full court press. I haven't really seen if we can handle the full court press even if the elbows, shirt tugs and all that is happening. I just see Meigs being the better team then Eastern this year and the reason I say that is because I have seen all these players from both teams competing against each other for 6 years now. I just think all the players Eastern has lost is really going to affect them this year. And I'm not taking anything away from those players because they are some good kids that I have been fortunate enough to be around for many years.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

expert witness wrote:They couldn't. Im not bashing your players, I just dont think you should build them up into something they are not. they are good kids and they play hard but they dont have a great deal of talent or skill. It's just a fact. By the way, I hope Meigs wins. I do think they have comparable talent to eastern as far as starters go and they have a definate advantage in the post. Unfortunately, this will not matter as the officials at eastern will make sure 1 or both of the Meigs post players will be on the bench with 3 fouls early in the 2nd quarter. The game will then be in the hands of the guards. Eastern will then PRESS and be allowed to push, grab jerseys and basically be allowed to do anything they want defensively. this will lead to around 30-35 meigs turnovers and a very frustrating but predictable loss. Trust me, the script is always the same out there. Good luck, I hope i am wrong.
Very accurate assessment of what happens, and will happen out at Eastern. If the officials try to buck the plan then the coach will stomp, scowl and scream until they either conform, or T him up. But they know full well that if they choose the latter they will never be asked to come back. That is why most just conform. Aint it great! :mrgreen:

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

How many games did these talented bench players win at the JV level last year? Just wondering.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Let's just hope that the guys in stripes don't determine who wins or loses a ball game. I'm just super excited and have high hopes this year for Meigs and tonight will show me what to expect for the season.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Meigs can't match Easterns intensity at home. I think the talk about how poor the officiating is at Eastern is just playing in to the excuse that you can use after Eastern wipes the floor with Meigs. "It was the refs fault". Im calling it right now, if Eastern wins, it will be the refs who won the game. Any takers?

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

expert witness wrote:How many games did these talented bench players win at the JV level last year? Just wondering.
I don't even remember their record. But there really is no way to even judge by their record because I know that several of the sophomores set on the Varsity level several games last year and didn't even play any JV ball. But into the season some of them came down and played 2-3 periods of JV. They were just so back and forth last year to be able to determine what their record could have been.

This really irritated me last year because there was kids that had enough talent to make the Varsity team, but all they did was go up and only play a few minutes of the Varsity game and wasn't even being used down on the JV level. But as the season went on they allowed them to go down and play the JV level and also sit and see some spot time at the Varsity level. A lot of these players were sophomores.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

classof86 wrote:Meigs can't match Easterns intensity at home. I think the talk about how poor the officiating is at Eastern is just playing in to the excuse that you can use after Eastern wipes the floor with Meigs. "It was the refs fault". Im calling it right now, if Eastern wins, it will be the refs who won the game. Any takers?
You are contradicting yourself...You say Meigs can't match Eastern's intensity at home and will wipe the floor with Meigs, But then you go and say "IF" Eastern wins. Are you confused???

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:Meigs can't match Easterns intensity at home. I think the talk about how poor the officiating is at Eastern is just playing in to the excuse that you can use after Eastern wipes the floor with Meigs. "It was the refs fault". Im calling it right now, if Eastern wins, it will be the refs who won the game. Any takers?
I am not making excuses for anything. If I were, I would wait till after the game to do it. I am simply agreeing with how the officiating is at Eastern. From what I have seen, and heard from others I have to agree that the statement was accurate. I am not even complaining about it. I like how it is over there. A team knows that if they go in there and win they either have a helluva team, or they were blessed with some quality officials who were impartial and not intimidated by a coach. Or both for that matter. Again, aint it great! :mrgreen:

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

86, the reason teams cant match easterns intensity at home is because intensity builds and increases as momentum and success builds and increases, within the game. It is impossible to build any momentum when your two best players are sitting on the bench in foul trouble and you are committing 30 turnovers because they are pushing, pulling, grabbing, etc. every possession on defense. That is PRECISELY why they only play that way at HOME! They struggle to adjust on the road when the rules become a part of the game.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

expert witness wrote:86, the reason teams cant match easterns intensity at home is because intensity builds and increases as momentum and success builds and increases, within the game. It is impossible to build any momentum when your two best players are sitting on the bench in foul trouble and you are committing 30 turnovers because they are pushing, pulling, grabbing, etc. every possession on defense. That is PRECISELY why they only play that way at HOME! They struggle to adjust on the road when the rules become a part of the game.
Great point, and that is when the complaints about "home town refs" comes in. But don't be fooled into thinking that officials at away games are not intimidated by the coaches antics. I have heard several admit that they are.

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

This should be a good game.

Meigs has been pretty awful the past few seasons, but they seem to have a pretty decent team this year. Eastern will play hard, but....I'm taking Meigs in the upset by 4................................

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Well if the refs allow your team to play at a higher level wouldnt you do it to?

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

The official thing gets old on here. Yes officials miss calls, this happens no matter where teams play. It really gets old on here though listening to the same people cry about it. 99% of the time officials have nothing to do with the out come of a ball game. As a player you have to learn to adjust to how the game is being called, some officials call it closer then others. We haven't had the first minute of basketball in the tvc and people already going on about officials. It seems the same people complain. They have classes every year instead of crying go take a class.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

George Jones wrote:The official thing gets old on here. Yes officials miss calls, this happens no matter where teams play. It really gets old on here though listening to the same people cry about it. 99% of the time officials have nothing to do with the out come of a ball game. As a player you have to learn to adjust to how the game is being called, some officials call it closer then others. We haven't had the first minute of basketball in the tvc and people already going on about officials. It seems the same people complain. They have classes every year instead of crying go take a class.
If you actually believe that then you live in a naive world. While it is a great concept, utopia exists somewhere other than in high school basketball. Officials have a heck of a lot to do with the outcome of a game many times. The block/charge call is, according to many many officials I have talked to, the hardest call to make. Yet the result of call can have a huge effect on the game. So now lets examine your "adjust to how the game is being called" statement. Lets say Meigs big man gets called on the first possession for a foul, and then quits being so physical. He makes his adjustment. But then he gets a rebound, turns to outlet, and one of Eastern's players pulls the old flop they are noted for. The official is faced with what is arguably the toughest call in basketball. Not to mention he has to make it with coach screaming in his ear "that's a charge." If he calls "charge" said player is on the bench. And that will certainly have an effect on the outcome of the game. Believe me this scenario comes into play a lot at Eastern. I have seen it there more than any other place I have been. Again, I am not complaining about, but simply stating how I perceive it to be at Eastern.

yellowjacket
Freshman Team

Post by yellowjacket »

if pulling the jersey and pushing and shoving is what they do how do you adjust to that?

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

One thing I'm not naive about is if a team wins you don't hear much about the officials but if a team loses that is the first thing you hear. Maybe thats why it is the same people complaining? ;-)

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

George Jones wrote:One thing I'm not naive about is if a team wins you don't hear much about the officials but if a team loses that is the first thing you hear. Maybe thats why it is the same people complaining? ;-)
Again, I am not complaining. I don't care who wins or loses that game. Or any game for that matter. But I am sure you have never complained about an official. :122249

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

This game hasn't even been played yet and already the officials are taking heat!! LOL!!
I would hate to be these officials already going into a game with the preconceived notions that they are going to cheat!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”