All State

Re: Waverly@Washington Courthouse

Post by Eaglesnest »

Waverly by 10

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I hear Court House returns 4 starters on a team that went 19-1 regular season? Martin (Waverly) has only been back about a week (ankle injury). Watched the Tigers in a scrimmage against a very good Chesapeake squad this past Saturday. The Tigers looked pretty good and held their own while the starters were in. They'll have to play 4 very good quarters to come away from Washington Court House with the W. Eaglesnest is being very generous to say Waverly by 10.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great early matchup.

WCH wins by 2, this could be a preview of the district championship game. Both have explosive scorers who can go off at any time(Kretzer and Sloan) and very good big men. It will be the role players who decide this.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wow! Great early season "statement game" for both of these teams ... Court House should be VERY good again as was pointed out, returning 4 starters from last year not to mention having Coach Shaeffer court side DOES make a difference as well LOL ... Waverly imo will need to bring their "A" game to pick up the win to open the season ... Tigers will have to show me an inside game as Kretzer LIKES to play in the land behind the arc ... best of luck to BOTH of these top teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Court House wins this one. See you guys in Febuary.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Will Court House have the height to match up with Waverly? For some reason im thinking they had a fairly small roster last season....could be wrong though(?)

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

smurray wrote:I hear Court House returns 4 starters on a team that went 19-1 regular season? Martin (Waverly) has only been back about a week (ankle injury). Watched the Tigers in a scrimmage against a very good Chesapeake squad this past Saturday. The Tigers looked pretty good and held their own while the starters were in. They'll have to play 4 very good quarters to come away from Washington Court House with the W. Eaglesnest is being very generous to say Waverly by 10.
I have heard courthouse is going to be very solid again. But, I still will stick with Waverly. I believe the Tigers have 2 college level players with size. How many other schools can say that? Martin(if healthy) and Kretzer combined should be too much for most teams this season.

Jump23
Freshman Team

Post by Jump23 »

Yes true eaglesnest, but Waverly has to get some help from some other players this season! If Martin and Kretzer put up 20 a peace that will still not be enought to win many ball games.! It will be interesting to see who steps up for the Tigers this game and for the rest of the season.!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree with witness230; Martin, Kretzer, and Kelly cannot beat 5. Other than those 3 no-one has any varsity experience. I'm not saying Waverly can't be a good ball team with those 3 leading the way - they can, but until it is proven on the court picking Waverly to beat a veteran ball club such as washington Court House by 10 at their place in the season opener is a bold statement. I will take a win, period. Waverly will have to play solid defense, winning the rebounding and turnover battle.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm a Waverly fan and I have to agree with the last two posters. Lot's questions marks for the Tigers this season. Only 3 players with any varsity experience is somewhat unnerving.

Just don't know what to expect this year in terms of how competitive we will be. The one thing we know for sure is Waverly lost a bunch of quality players from last years squad.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

Is this game still on for tonight??

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Should be

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Waverly was down by 9 early on, but fought back and took the lead right before half. Jake hits a 30 footer at the buzzer and Waverly leads 27-24.

Hard nose scrappy play by Taylor Ward. No surprise there.

Slone has been a force for Court House.
Last edited by toast on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

OT
Last edited by toast on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Court House wins in OT 61-56.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Any stats from the game?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Martin & Kretzer with 18 a piece.

Waverly was in good shape up 3 with .29 to play in regulation but a foul and technical sent WCH to the line for 4 shots hitting 3 to tie it at 52. Waverly got the ball back and called timeout with .14 to play. Kretzer drove the lane and scored with .06 to play but was whistled for an offensive foul. WCH missed a couple shots, one at the buzzer and it went to overtime.

After both teams scored to make it 54 a piece in OT Court House was fouled and was awarded an NBA continuation bucket to go up 56-54 with 1:40 to play. The FT was missed but waverly couldn't convert and WCH sank 2 more FT's with .29 to play to go up 58-54. Waverly scored to make it 58-56 with .14 remaining and Kretzer fouled out sending WCH to the line, sinking both for a 60-56 lead.

Hopefully the Tigers will learn allot from this game, put it behind them and get ready for a huge conference game next Friday at Valley.

B-dawg79
Freshman Team

Post by B-dawg79 »

the tigers made some mistakes but an overall good effort by them taylor ward played good defense kretzer played really well had a dunk in the first half the tigers made some mistakes but i think they will overcome them and beat valley friday

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

smurray....Waverly was in good shape up 3 with .29 to play in regulation but a foul and technical sent WCH to the line for 4 shots hitting 3 to tie it at 52. Waverly got the ball back and called timeout with .14 to play. Kretzer drove the lane and scored with .06 to play but was whistled for an offensive foul.
SMELLS LIKE HOME COOKIN

Return to “Boys Basketball”