Running Up the Score: When is Enough Enough?

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Re: Running Up the Score: When is Enough Enough?

Post by jimmy chipwood »

The comments I have made throughout this post are for a situation where one team is head and shoulders above another. When this is the case do you really expect the losing team to sub first??? More than likely the losing teams subs are really bad even in comparison to their starters! So they are supposed to put their 2nd team in down 30 and than hope that the winning team puts their 2nd team in so they can probably continue getting blown out at the same rate? Im not talking about a game that has running quarter scores like the following: 15-9, 34-22, 55-36, etc. This game is still competitive! Im talking about running quarter scores more like this: 24-5, 47-15, 71-26, etc - where every quarter the lead is almost doubling and the game is not competitive anymore.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

jimmy chipwood wrote: Im talking about running quarter scores more like this: 24-5, 47-15, 71-26, etc - where every quarter the lead is almost doubling and the game is not competitive anymore.

This is a situation where your bench needs rotated into the game with the starters early in the game to get the bench real game experience.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Nothing worse than to watch both teams clear their bench. Doesn't do anybody any good to do this. It is like watching a soccer game. Its a miracle when someone scores.

MightyWhiteFalcon
Waterboy

Post by MightyWhiteFalcon »

I like when our coach runs it up on another team. Kinda makes me feel proud. But I hated it when other teams use to do that to us. Seemed really unsportsmanlike back then. Thank goodness we have a good coach now and that doesn't happen anymore.

love_the_game
Waterboy

Post by love_the_game »

Keeping a kid in just so they can "break records" is stupid, in my opinion. That kid is not really breaking records of his own talent, he/she is getting a lot of help from the coach, and the other, weaker team. Let them break a record against a tough team and really show what they are made of!

MightyWhiteFalcon
Waterboy

Post by MightyWhiteFalcon »

love_the_game wrote:Keeping a kid in just so they can "break records" is stupid, in my opinion. That kid is not really breaking records of his own talent, he/she is getting a lot of help from the coach, and the other, weaker team. Let them break a record against a tough team and really show what they are made of!
That makes no sense. What if the record was set against the same weak teams? Do you just say, well that record don't mean much anyway cause it was set against bad teams?

bones
Waterboy

Post by bones »

running up the score is not really an option... i mean you have the ball so what are you suppose to do? just give the other team the ball? personally i would try to keep the ball away from the defense but sooner or later your gonna have to shoot the ball and if it goes in... so what. its just part of the game, so stop whining.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

i think you should just run the victory play the whole second half with your second and third string and maybe even the trainer or water boy/girl......but whatever you do don't play defense....lol

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

manchester played their backups most of the time out of respect to western..they never once even thought bout running the score up due to they have good sportsmanship..they knew they had it won so they slowed down alot...

love_the_game
Waterboy

Post by love_the_game »

MightyWhiteFalcon wrote:
love_the_game wrote:Keeping a kid in just so they can "break records" is stupid, in my opinion. That kid is not really breaking records of his own talent, he/she is getting a lot of help from the coach, and the other, weaker team. Let them break a record against a tough team and really show what they are made of!
That makes no sense. What if the record was set against the same weak teams? Do you just say, well that record don't mean much anyway cause it was set against bad teams?
No I do not say that because unfortunately a record doesn't state how the record was obtained. For instance, the 1000 point goal a lot of kids have. They don't really begin on a fair level. Say a kid plays varsity all 4 years either because they are extremely talented, their parent coaches, or the varsity is extremely lacking in talent so they move them up. They have an unfair advantage of say a kid that plays JV for a couple years just because the team is so loaded they do not need to move kids up. Which kid is the better player? That record doesn't accurately reflect that is all I am saying.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

love_the_game wrote:
MightyWhiteFalcon wrote:
No I do not say that because unfortunately a record doesn't state how the record was obtained. For instance, the 1000 point goal a lot of kids have. They don't really begin on a fair level. Say a kid plays varsity all 4 years either because they are extremely talented, their parent coaches, or the varsity is extremely lacking in talent so they move them up. They have an unfair advantage of say a kid that plays JV for a couple years just because the team is so loaded they do not need to move kids up. Which kid is the better player? That record doesn't accurately reflect that is all I am saying.
Opportunity defintely plays into a player joining the 1,000 point club (also, we all know players that could have scored but didn't because that wasn't their role), but NO ONE gets 1,000 points if they're not a good player.

Any Peebles fan could give you a long list of Indians that are considered some of our best, but never came near 1,000 points. NOT reaching 1,000 points doesn't take away from a player, but hitting that mark is difficult no matter how many years you play up.

Return to “Boys Basketball”