Clay @ New Boston Glenwood 2.10

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Re: Clay @ New Boston Glenwood 2.10

Post by rockyraccoon »

Actually, I think the 73 to 72 score shows that both teams can score. I don't see them as two bad teams at all, don't know why you would cut the kids on your program. They hit 9 threes according to the PDT and most with a hand in their face. I thought NB played way better than what I had read about them in preseason commnets.
Clay guard was called for traveling several times, and not one comment has been made about that on this thread, so tiger, what is your point. Ball handling wasn't horrible, some TO's caused by no foul calls (both ways). Did you just want to come on hear and cut the players down?

BTW, the 73 to 72 final only came about on a last second, uncontested 3 by NB. This wasn't like Valley's 42-41 win over Waverly. Clay had a 12 point 4th quarter lead and it got chipped away at the end to 4 points before the last three pointer.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Second the official was bad both ways, clay guard traveled everytime. with that said Go Tigers[/quote]

I second that motion!
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

ACM, I am surprised to see you say you think New Boston is a bad team with no ball handlers. I thought they shot well and Buckley did a good job driving thru traffic.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Two bad teams? Poor officiating? Lousy coaching? Sounds like Southern Ohio welfare recipients on this site again voicing their opinions! Ain't it great to pay $5 and earn a doctorate in Basketball 101? Just let the kids play, the coaches coach and the referees ref! Clay will be fine, New Boston's gym is worth 5-10 points a game for the home team. Don't complain about the cracker box gym, at least they have a place to play. By the way, Trainer coaches Offense & Defense to prepare not only for high school, but also for next level. Why? Because he has coached at the next level and also reports to other coaches AT the next level. How many college teams have won national championships running a zone defense? In recent times (1970-present) only one team, Syracuse.

bucknutnut
Waterboy

Post by bucknutnut »

Well said Mr Lane .

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Jake Lane wrote:Two bad teams? Poor officiating? Lousy coaching? Sounds like Southern Ohio welfare recipients on this site again voicing their opinions! Ain't it great to pay $5 and earn a doctorate in Basketball 101? Just let the kids play, the coaches coach and the referees ref! Clay will be fine, New Boston's gym is worth 5-10 points a game for the home team. Don't complain about the cracker box gym, at least they have a place to play. By the way, Trainer coaches Offense & Defense to prepare not only for high school, but also for next level. Why? Because he has coached at the next level and also reports to other coaches AT the next level. How many college teams have won national championships running a zone defense? In recent times (1970-present) only one team, Syracuse.
Well, aren't you feeling a little arrogant today. Southern Ohio Welfare recipients? Really! I don't know about ACM or Yabba, but I have never recieved a dime from welfare. As for a doctorate in basketall, your only comment on this site is "let the coaches coach". That's some great insight. Especially considering Clay's record. Since you seem to be so knowledgeable in the sciences of basketball, please impart on us your great insight as to why Clay is so poor under his tenure?
New Boston's gym is a joke and IMO opinion should not be used for HS games. I watched players hit that wall over and over on routine layups. Might have been okay when you played, but not up to todays standards.
If you followed Clay and paid attention you would understand no one is asking them to run a zone defense, just know when to switch over to one. To keep trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is nuts, and that about sums it up.
Last edited by rockyraccoon on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Okay Rocky, let's put this in a language easy to understand. I agree with Lane on some stuff, mainly because I coach in the district. Quite a few of the boys at Clay don't take the game seriously enough to work out and work on it in the off season like nearly all the good teams do. Lane is right about the man defense for next level, meaning tournament, then college. I will say an occasional zone to mix things up isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to bank on it. Kids can shoot the 3 much better now than ever before, even the bad teams have 1 or 2 players that can chuck it. The man defense he runs is a help-man defense that has zone type applications to it, it just pressures the ball all over the floor with better match ups. Clay will get better, but their mental toughness isn't where it needs to be to take good shots near the end of games with a lead.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

l
Last edited by Waterdog on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

rockyraccoon wrote:ACM, I am surprised to see you say you think New Boston is a bad team with no ball handlers. I thought they shot well and Buckley did a good job driving thru traffic.

Second the official was bad both ways, Clay guard traveled everytime. with that said Go Tigers

I guess I should have been more specific............the info I was speaking of is listed above. If you could have seen the game from the NB end, the same thing was happening down there........there were times that Clay knocked the ball out of bounds and they got the ball. There was a lot of traveling that should have been called as well as charges. I would never have said anything negative about the New Boston players or any players, however I see all that is mentioned and I was just agreeing.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

For starters, who here is not "letting the coaches coach". We might post opinions here about what we think is wrong, and we know what they say about opinions, but who has ever approached the coaches or the school board or the administration at Clay and ask for them to replace the coach? No one that I know of, so please drop that mantra and say "don't post opinions that I disagree with" because that is the real rub. The "Welfare Recipient" comment tells us all we need to know about Jake, and the "two bad teams" was totally uncalled for.
With a career 18 - 48 record at Clay, is it wrong for fans to question coaching? It would be different if he were trying different strategies and working with what he has on the floor from year to year, but it is the same thing year after year. Only the fact that he has this group of seniors who are now mostly 3 year starters has his win ratio went up from his first 2 - 19 season.
I agree the boys don't work hard enough in the off season, but what can you do about that. I see that a lot in the smaller schools as there is no threat to cut them since you barely have enough to field a team. Larger schools with football have boys coming off a weight program for that sport and are competing for spots.
So a coach has to work with what he has available to him. He can't tell the boys, "I am used to coaching inner city black boys who want to play ball". I think Coach T might be a good coach at the next level where every boy on the team has proved himself at the High School level and is able to play his style of ball, but as has been discussed on this site for the past three years, he doesn't have those type of players at Clay. As far as I know he hasn't sent one player on to the next level. So adjust to what you have or move back up to the college level and let someone who understands High School basketball take over.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

a_c_m wrote:
rockyraccoon wrote:ACM, I am surprised to see you say you think New Boston is a bad team with no ball handlers. I thought they shot well and Buckley did a good job driving thru traffic.

Second the official was bad both ways, Clay guard traveled everytime. with that said Go Tigers

I guess I should have been more specific............the info I was speaking of is listed above. If you could have seen the game from the NB end, the same thing was happening down there........there were times that Clay knocked the ball out of bounds and they got the ball. There was a lot of traveling that should have been called as well as charges. I would never have said anything negative about the New Boston players or any players, however I see all that is mentioned and I was just agreeing.
ACM, I knew you felt that way, just wanted to give you a chance to clarify. Nothing said above has anything to do with NB team. They seemed like a nice bunch of boys. I spoke to a couple of them after the game and complimented them on their play and they were very polite.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

trainer is a fine coach and should be signed to lifetime contract immediately --signed --rest of SOC 1 . lol MD

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

MD, you said it best when you said a team is a reflection of their coach and Clay was "running 100 mph, and going nowhere"

Here's a classic pic of NB gym, player with his feet inbound, hitting the wall behind backboard following a lay-up.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =541994146

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

he very well may know the game of hoops darn well. But Phil Jackson might be a horrible HS coach. College ain't HS , got to be able to coach the talent level that you have on your roster. IMO playing 10-12 guys and running them in and out isn't fit for SOC 1 play. whatever I'm a lowly fan/parent that only gets an audience on SEOP.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I'm amazed there hasn't been more serious injuries playing in that place up to NB . It's a dive. for sure.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

ManitouDan wrote:he very well may know the game of hoops darn well. But Phil Jackson might be a horrible HS coach. College ain't HS , got to be able to coach the talent level that you have on your roster. IMO playing 10-12 guys and running them in and out isn't fit for SOC 1 play. whatever I'm a lowly fan/parent that only gets an audience on SEOP.

Bingo!!! We have a winner.

I have been saying this same thing abut Trainer. He may have been a fine coach at the college level, but at that level you can recruit the type of players you want and need to run the offense and defense you want to run. In high school you have to adapt to what you have to work with and in the 4 years I have watched him at Clay he hasn't proven he can do that.

His first year he had a 6'8" kid in the Keaton boy who was by far the biggest kid in the SOCI and yet he never built an offense around him where they would pound the ball in low to him to either get up a shot, get fouled, or kick it back out when the defense collapsed on him. I saw quite a few games that year and unless the Keaton boy got a rebound and put back he rarely touched the ball under the basket. Instead Trainer tried that same 5 man weave with a team that obviously had trouble handling the ball and averaged well over 20 turnovers a game. He had no set inbounds play and the Panthers had 3 or 4 five second calls a game because he also told his players not to call a TO in those situations, that he would, and yet he never did which led to more turnovers. The last 2 years haven't been much different and this one seems to starting out the same way. Big kids who can't handle the ball trying to run a weave and stall and turning over the ball allowing teams to either get back into a game or come back and get the win.

oldschoolwebgem
Waterboy

Post by oldschoolwebgem »

I have listened to you guys hammer coach trainer for years on this site, Clay is lucky to have him and he is respected throughout the basketball coaches association in this area as well as at the next level. Clay will be fine with him at the helm.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

He may be well respected and I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's not getting wins and letting games slip away in the final minutes. Games he should win.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

oldschoolwebgem wrote:I have listened to you guys hammer coach trainer for years on this site, Clay is lucky to have him and he is respected throughout the basketball coaches association in this area as well as at the next level. Clay will be fine with him at the helm.
You've been on here for years and this is your 6th post? Wow, I guess you really pick and choose what you comment on. Lucky to have him, I guess you must be from Eastern, Green , New Boston, Notre Dame, Western or East. Clay basketball has become a joke in the area. I actually talked with a SOCI coach who told me "All I need to do to prepare for Clay is watch last years film, because nothing ever changes". I am sure there is respect on the personal level, but in private, Clay is the laughing stock of the SOC. Coach T is one of the nicest person you will evey meet, and might be a great college level coach, but he hasn't adjusted to HS basketball and his record proves it.

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

Coach Trainer cant do anything right according to some people on here the same people gripe about everyting he does. Dont have to be very smart to figure out its parents and uncles of some of the seniors making all the negative comments for the past 3 years. In the NB game the guards were the ones turning the ball over with walking and cross court passing ect. You guys gripe when clay looses and when they win you seem to find fault with decisions Coach Trainer makes. I hope clay wins some games this year but personally i cant wait for this group of seniors to graduate and then some people wont be on here with all the negative comments. These seniors were not very good as soph and were a little better last year and were fighting for first place if i remember until some current senior starters got suspended by the school and missed couple games late in the year which took away any chance they may have had(not Trainers fault)

I thought it was in poor taste for a notre dame poster saying they hoped Clay gave gave Trainer a life time contract from the SOC 1. Why hasnt notre dame been in the hunt for the past several years they have loaded jr high programs keep reading they are undefeated for the past few years but what happed when they got in high school. They get transfers from Ports and East every year to keep the programs going but it hasnt helped them? With Mader there now maybe they keep the same coach for at least 2 more years with his son playing playing as a soph

I have no dog in the fight but clay posters are the most entertaining because of the number of coaches they have and its always the same comments about the coach and not the players just a different game and date"

Return to “Boys Basketball”