Marietta vs Vinton County D2 Logan Sectional 2-23

Skiisme
All Conference

Re: Marietta vs Vinton County D2 Logan Sectional 2-23

Post by Skiisme »

Once again, from what I have read, the charity stripe did the vikes in again. In the 3 games(2 I watched personally) that VC lost this year by 1 point, they missed 7+ free throws during those games. Great season Vikes, Blessings to those that will be graduating and looking forward for next year for those that will be returning.

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Post by Maroon Shorts »

You can talk bad about the T.V.C. as a conference but, don't anyone ever let me catch them talking bad about the Vikings. Yes, they didn't play well till the fourth quarter but, if Vinton Co. came out in the whole game this would be a different scenerio. Congratulations to Vinton Co. on a sucessful season and good luck to Marietta with Warren. Coach Combs did a great job and never stopped believing in this group even when everyone wrote them off after a loss to Meigs and Wellston.

Look at the Vikes. (14-6), (8-2) in the T.V.C. A league championship and (0-1) in the tournament with a inexpierienced team. The Vikes should have beat Marietta but did not. Nothing to hang their heads about. The Vikings graduate eight seniors and they will be hard to replace. This includes 4 starter slots that need to be filled after the loss of Adam Ward, Levi Lawhead, Justin Breniser, and Jay Wiseman or sometimes Bobby Walton as well as a key senior off the Bench in Shawn Amerine and two seniors who didn't play much in Tyler Perry and Mat Hatfield.

Once again Congratulations to the Vikings on a league Championship and a very fun season to watch. and Good luck to Marietta on their tourney run.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

Lucky for you that your "inexperienced team" only graduates 8 SENIORS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Maroon Shorts, you are right with just about everything, our record was 16-4, now 16-5 overall. There was a lot of people, before this season started, that wrote this team off. I heard it all, "no experience," "not smart," "no height," "can't win 10 games" yada, yada, yada. It seemed every bleacher coach had an opinion. But no matter, all Coach Combs and his staff and the Vikings did was get to work. The Vikings Achilles Heel had been timely free-throw shooting. Despite having "no height" the Vikings often out-rebounded their opponent. Despite having "no experience" they made up for in hustle and heart. Despite the "not smart" label they were always prepared and they out-worked their opponents. Whoever, said "can't win 10 games" is a _______, and why would you want to bet against Coach Combs. In my 30 plus years of watching Vinton County basketball, I have never been prouder of a Vinton County team than I am of this one.

As for next year, we will have a lot more experience, three players with three years of varsity experience, and one of them will be a junior. But besides that, Coach Combs and the staff and the Vikings will continue to work hard, and leave it all out on the floor, every game, every night. One Team, One Goal, More Championships.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

i can see what you mean by inexperienced......it will be better next year

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

expert witness

If you knew VC basketball, inexperienced meant that of the 8 seniors that graduated, only 2 of them (Lawhead and Ward) had any true varsity experience before this season. Next year we will have Chesser, Remy and Batey return for the Vikes with ample varsity experience.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

so, let me get this straight, you had at least 5 players with two years varsity experience and that makes you "inexperienced?" What exactly constitutes an experienced team???

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

No Sir, we had only two out of the 13 on the roster with any Varsity experience. Seniors Levi Lawhead and Adam Ward had three years of Varsity experience, everyone else, had no significant experience at all.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

Hawkeye quote:

"As for next year, we will have a lot more experience, three players with three years of varsity experience, and one of them will be a junior. But besides that, Coach Combs and the staff and the Vikings will continue to work hard, and leave it all out on the floor, every game, every night. One Team, One Goal, More Championships."

so, if you had two seniors with 3 years varsity experience AND RETURN 3 players with 3 years of varsity experience NEXT YEAR, how in the world do you get that only 2 players had any varsity experience???????? makes absolutely no sense.

Im All In
Waterboy

Post by Im All In »

Who cares how much experience they have or don't have? Results don't lie and the VC results year to year speak for themselves. Marietta was the better team this year. Give them credit. VC has more than held their own with the SEOAL over the years. I believe they are 9-6 vs them over the last 5 years including a 3-3 record in tournament play, with 2 of those losses coming to chillicothe when they were dominant. I know the SEOAL folks are proud of their league because that's all they ever talk about. Maybe this year someone besides Chilli will have some tournament success for once.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

Im All In,

Vinton county fans really shouldnt say anything about a lack of tourny success.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

I was pulling for VC Wed night....Marietta really disintegrated in the 4th quarter....VC starting playing like their capable and had this game if it had one more possesion....it was my first time seeing VC this year but not their coach....he is the real deal.....so now Warren plays Marietta a third time....will be close but same result....the Tigers go home in tears once again.....hopefully the good folks from VC will be there to cheer our boys on....

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

expert witness,

Besides winning the district championship in 2008, Vinton reached the district finals in 2004 and districts in 2007 2008 and 2009. Would you not consiser this tournament success?

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I heard the officiating wasn't to bad.

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Post by Maroon Shorts »

Just stay out of it Hawkeye, the SCOAL has never and will never respect anything that the program has done. It's pointless. They win one game over a Vinton Co. team that didn't try to play till the fourth quarter and still almost beat them.

It's been this way since the programs uprising in 2000. Just a lost cause. Congrats to both squads though.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

MS, and everyone, Coming Soon, Vinton County's overall record against the SEOAL. In my limited spare time, I have been researching some interesting numbers. The majority of the people will be surprised, and I will be able to infer tangible conclusions. This NEW exciting research will ASTOUND! And maybe I will be able to quash the nay-sayers. Stay tuned.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Post who you beat and how many times.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Oh, I will. Trust Me.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

ms... hated to hear that VC didn't even play the first 3 quarters ...very impressive.... by the way i did see that game from my perspective jackson just out played the vikes....

3sportdad
Waterboy

Post by 3sportdad »

I'd like to see a re-match on a neutral court, with a truly neutral set of officials so there would be NO ADVANTAGE to EITHER team. I wouldn't be surprised if the end result were completely different. NOT saying that the officials were not neutral, but when a team captain gets a "T" for asking a question by the official that told him BEFORE the game that if he had any questions about any calls "Feel free to ask", doesn't sound right IMO. But we all know that even if this game could be replayed, and IF VC handed the Ironboys their backsides, we'd be right back on here with the table facing the other direction.

Hawkeye - can't wait for that info you promised!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”