River Valley Coaches not resigning as reported in Tribune

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

River Valley Coaches not resigning as reported in Tribune

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Coach Tackett and Coach Graham are not stepping down??
I don't know where the story came from but not true!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: River Valley Coaches not resigning as reported in Tribun

Post by Orange and Brown »

first I heard of it.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

IMO !!!Hell there turning the program around.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

It was in the board minutes from the bd. meeting on Dec 13th.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Yes it is in the board minutes from Monday night. Graham resigned his old contract so he can take the new one. The just for your information any coach that is ejected has to attend a class at OHSAA in Columbus and pay a $150 fine. You go to the class when the OHSAA says so the coach would have to be excused from work to attend the meeting.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

BBallin fool wrote:IMO !!!Hell there turning the program around.

serioiusly?

graham i don't konw much about. tackett, :roll: , he's one of phils boys. 16-18 kids n the program now? no 9th grade team. and its not because of hill either. hill is practically on his own having these guys with him. you ever go to a game and watch. not sure i would trust either one of them if i was him. :(

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

4thnpine, i guess chesepeake doesnt have a good program either??!! they have less players than river valley in their program. kids today dont like discipline. they want to wear headbands and act like idiots. how many kids does howie caldwell have at eastern? these disciplinarian coaches prefer "quality" kids instead of a large "quantity" of kids. they may sacrifice in talent levels but they know they can trust and depend on the ones they got.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

4thnpine wrote:
BBallin fool wrote:IMO !!!Hell there turning the program around.

serioiusly?

graham i don't konw much about. tackett, :roll: , he's one of phils boys. 16-18 kids n the program now? no 9th grade team. and its not because of hill either. hill is practically on his own having these guys with him. you ever go to a game and watch. not sure i would trust either one of them if i was him. :(
Jamie Graham is learning and actually led the JV to their 2nd victory in 2 years, Tackett has won 1 game in 2+ years! He is good to the players,he does not posses any basketball knowledge.
I for one would like to see Phil Skidmore away from all River Valley sports,he has no business being around kids,he was forced to retire from Buckeye Rural Electric because of sexual harassment. No one that should be around kids,he has been involved with mens Softball,The Gallipolis Midget Football league,Youth Baseball! All with money involved! (you figure it out)!
The Varsity goes 7 deep,the JV 10 no freshman team,the 8th grade has 23 kids on the team! i don't think it's in that bad of shape.
The biggest problem the River Valley sports teams have is the kids refuse to work in the off season,only prob 3 on this years team play basketball like a religion (that is what it takes).
Same with every sport at the school! Bad attitudes,parents taking up for kids,they are not that bad by mistake they work at it. My grandson goes there he knows he has to work and he does!
Graham actually played for Carl Wolfe at River Valley,he needs to learn to control his emotions a little he is a bit of a hot head but he has gotten better,he ran off about 6 kids last year.
Coach Hill is the real deal and i think in time he will sort out his coaches and get who he needs but future coaches are not exactly grown on trees in rural Gallia county!

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

expert- are you saying because a kid wears a headband he automatically acts like an idiot? comparing river valley to eastern and peake are two bad examples. eastern is about half the size of rv plus howie has had the benefit of transfers. peake has had transfers for years. a little different when you can pick and choose those 16-18 kids.

b nd g- i agree with everything you say about phil skidmore. i know all about him. BAD NEWS. hopefully hill will get him out before its too late. he doesn't need him involved in any way. i don't like going to game and seeing him sitting at the end of the bench.

he needs to get rid of tackett too. the guy is a snake. when or if things start going bad hill willl need someone around to pull the knives from his back. take that to the bank. how many kids are not playing because of this guy? a few good kids i know of. might not be great basketball players but could help the program. jv might have 10 on the team but a couple of them rarely see the floor. varsity needs at least 1 more if not 2 more kids in their rotation. playing 7 kids just not enough depth to get you through an entire season. might be ok when you get to tournament but alot of game to be played before then.

graham had attitude problem when he played for wolfe. i saw him in the stands acting like an idiot when his brother was playing football at river valley 5-6 yrs ago. hope the apple falls far from teh tree. if he anything like his mother hill better watch out for him too.

i will also agree about the work ethic and attitudes of kids and parents. you said "parents taking up for their kids". my opinion it is more like parents making excuses for their kids. this is nothing new. i talked to layton not long after he got out and got the feeling he was tired of fighting the apathy of parents and players and dealing with iidiocy of administration. he didn't/wouldn't say that but that is the feeling i took from our conversation.

hill may not be around long enough to sort out his staff. if he can have a decent season this year the smartest thing for him to do is to start looking and move on. i know of a few 20 somethings that if hired into teaching positions would be there coaching with hill right now. instead they are teaching at oak hill and in the city district.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Waterboy:
You seem to see the whole picture
Glad they have Hill,you must remember he is teaching, coaching and the AD so he will have trouble finding a gig to match his pay, i think he stays a while.
Now the school is located central in the district things get better
Last edited by ole_Bobcat on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

hey bobcat the topic is about rv assistant coaches, not hill or past coaches. try and stay on topic.......... but do you really think he is paid THAT MUCH? its not about money anyway. figure coaches probably being paid less than a dollar an hour. why not go somewhere administraton recongnize benefits of solid athletic programs and will support coaches.

i dont mean to be hijacking the thread either but did you know that asst football coaches were told by transportation director that the district wasn not responsible for their transportation to away games and they had to provide their own way there? wonder how many other districts would treat their coaches that way?

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

[quote="4thnpine"]expert- are you saying because a kid wears a headband he automatically acts like an idiot? comparing river valley to eastern and peake are two bad examples. eastern is about half the size of rv plus howie has had the benefit of transfers. peake has had transfers for years. a little different when you can pick and choose those 16-18 kids.

I dont have a dog in this fight but Would just like to know who are all the transfers Peake got. Besides last year and this year and those 2 kids have very good reasons for being there. Transfers for years????? Can you name a couple more?

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

ovc fan - i'm with you about the no dog part and not trying to argue. However, would the Rase boys have went to Peake if their dad wasn't there? I can't think of any off the top of my head but maybe that's a couple he was thinking of.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

does gossett ring a bell? wasnt rucker from fairland? Lovely from huntington? what about karle? moon? rases?
good reasons or not they are transfers right?

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

4th, I am not arguing...most of these kids had parents that got jobs at the school first. If I were on the faculty at a school I would rather my child go to school there out of convenience whether they played sports or not. But i'm done. Sorry to interrupt. Tubby, most if not all the ovc games tonight were postponed. No makeup date announced for the Peake vs CG game.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

We have who we have past means nothing

Maximus the Merciful
Waterboy

Post by Maximus the Merciful »

Tackett was a good ball player for North Gallia High School. He averaged around 20 pts. a game and almost double figure assists along with a lot of steals per game. He is a home town guy. To say he knows nothing about the game is ignorant. Leave local politics out of the equation. The head coach needs to rid himself of insecurities and use his staff. What would be wrong with conferring with the assistants at time outs before talking with the team? When you are the head coach and you look like you are not much older than the players...what's wrong with confiding in your assistants? It doesn't demonstrate weakness it shows maturity. Unless you are young and know it all! River Valley can win some games and naturally you want your JV to win. But most times the varsity will be the recipient of your better JV players. The Utopian situation would be to have all levels of the program be successful. That takes time. If you keep changing your staff that will never happen. Good luck to the players and coaches in the program at River Valley.

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Maximus the Merciful wrote:Tackett was a good ball player for North Gallia High School. He averaged around 20 pts. a game and almost double figure assists along with a lot of steals per game. He is a home town guy. To say he knows nothing about the game is ignorant. Leave local politics out of the equation. The head coach needs to rid himself of insecurities and use his staff. What would be wrong with conferring with the assistants at time outs before talking with the team? When you are the head coach and you look like you are not much older than the players...what's wrong with confiding in your assistants? It doesn't demonstrate weakness it shows maturity. Unless you are young and know it all! River Valley can win some games and naturally you want your JV to win. But most times the varsity will be the recipient of your better JV players. The Utopian situation would be to have all levels of the program be successful. That takes time. If you keep changing your staff that will never happen. Good luck to the players and coaches in the program at River Valley.
What ever seen a lot of 20 point scorers who don't know much about
Running a team. To assume that qualifies one To be a coach or means he knows the game is ignorant. Lol

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

ole_Bobcat wrote:Waterboy:
You seem to see the whole picture,but about Layton he was a very average coach,not enough emphisis on defense.
Glad they have Hill,you must remember he is teaching, coaching and the AD so he will have trouble finding a gig to match his pay, i think he stays a while.
Now the school is located central in the district things get better
I apologize to coach layton i in no way ment he was overall average as a coach some people emphasize offense some defense, gene had big wins and was an overall bright spot in the program his teams could score

Return to “Boys Basketball”