State rankings----AP

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: State rankings----AP

Post by trojandave »

At Portsmouth, we have 4 state championship banners on the wall, a Final 4 banner with the 5 other years we made it, a regional championship banner listing the 13 years winning the regional (winning the district before the 1940's was considered a regional title), a district championship banner listing the 34 years winning the district, and a AP Poll champion banner from 1979 when the Trojans went 18-0.

Schools should post any banners that mark significant events or years in a program. I think that Portsmouth High School should have 3 state runnerup banners posted as well.

Polls are overrated to some extent, because if you notice over a long period of time, the great majority of the schools that are ranked in the top 10 are gone by the regionals, and there's always some teams completely omitted from the poll for the duration of the season that last into the regional or even the state.

Portsmouth's 1979 team lost to Ironton in the district final.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

peake wrote:jc,

Not kidding at all. How many times did your school finish #1 in the state in the AP Poll?

If someone thinks it is so silly then go tell Duke and UNC that, if you walk into their gyms they have banners with #1 AP Poll banners hanging.

I think it is a proud accomplishment. I see no reason why you shouldn't be proud of it.

I believe that Hillsboro might have been ranked #1 in 1989 (undefeated regular season) before being beat in the Sectional Finals by West Union. Not sure whay they were after that game? Funny thing, I think the same thing happened the next year with West Union beating an undefeated Hillsboro team again for the Sectional Finals. I sure to god hope they werent the AP Poll Champions those two years!

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Not kidding at all. How many times did your school finish #1 in the state in the AP Poll?

If someone thinks it is so silly then go tell Duke and UNC that, if you walk into their gyms they have banners with #1 AP Poll banners hanging.

I think it is a proud accomplishment. I see no reason why you shouldn't be proud of it.
I think the highest our boys were ever ranked was #2 in 1984, the girls were ranked #1 in 1987. I'm not saying it's not worth bragging about or remembering, but winning a poll is no accomplishment compared to winning a tournament.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

It's a matter of respect, at the least. I think at one point during those two years we won poll championships, we were also very high (maybe even #1, but I don't recall) for a while in the USA Today Top 25. And it's not like we were lucky chumps those two years -- the first one we were upset in the regional final by Westerville North with one of our key players on the bench and the next year we lost in overtime to Cleveland Heights in the state title game. So, quite honestly, those "mythical state championships" were pretty close to the real thing.

We'd rather have had the real thing, of course.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

jchitwood wrote:

I think the highest our boys were ever ranked was #2 in 1984, the girls were ranked #1 in 1987. I'm not saying it's not worth bragging about or remembering, but winning a poll is no accomplishment compared to winning a tournament.
Do we have a banner for the girls team? I would rather have a state title banner than 3 AP poll banners anyday but I still think its worth having around.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

The point is not which has more weight, I mean obviously a real state banner has more weight, but to act like being ranked #1 in the state, and back to back years might I add, is not an accomplishment is just silly imo. Chesapeake was upset in the regional finals by Unioto I believe one of those years and in the sectional finals by the Burg the other.

Return to “Boys Basketball”