waverly vs. oakhill 1/22

toast
All State

Re: waverly vs. oakhill 1/22

Post by toast »

Waverly is not the only ones complaining about Oak Hill's dirty play. It's happened in other games this year and we all know what transpired last season.

Cheap shots are not physical play. Don't confuse the two.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

toast wrote:Waverly is not the only ones complaining about Oak Hill's dirty play. It's happened in other games this year and we all know what transpired last season.

Cheap shots are not physical play. Don't confuse the two.

Well said!!! For those programs that do a good job of taping the game - check the tape!!! If its happening than it should be right there for everybody to see in slow motion over and over again.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

This always seems to be a problem just at Waverly's place however....MMM, that's a mystery!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Grabbing people between the legs is not physical? I'm not sure but I think that is about as physical as you can get. In Oak Hill we do not like when other men are trying to grab us between the legs.

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

I did see kids in the student section of Waverly, a long haired boy and a kid with a green hat on sideways, that had shirts on that said 0 is my boyfriend and the other said 0 is my rainbow buddy. Now that is classy!!!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

So what your saying is you think its ok that kids intentionally throw elbows to try to hurt another kid downtown? lift weights so you can take an elbow? i didnt know that helped! it isnt about being able to throw one back harder its about playing basketball and enough elbows come their way by accident they dont or any other kid needs to be hit on purpose, and if any of you are parents and believe this behavior is ok then SHAME ON YOU. No i spoke to the kid he was not grabbing his junk he was holding his jersey as the kid tried to go around a screen and thats when he took the elbow to the face. Dont make stuff up to try to make this behavior acceptable....................

TheDarkKnight
Freshman Team

Post by TheDarkKnight »

I didn't see nut grabbing during the game? But if you need to make an exuse to make it seem okay to take cheap shot's on kids, then be my guest.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Downtown wrote: Maybe, just maybe, Waverly got out-coached last night?
Trust me no one is questioning that. Waverly was lacking in halftime adjustments. As everyone said there is a difference between physical and Dirty. But if that is how you are taught to play then we know the reason they play dirty. If #0 grabbed someone then he is a example of the exception of Waverly players, where as I saw all but maybe one or two players not playing dirty for Oak Hill. Amazing Oak Hill actually played the game of basketball in the second half and they outplayed the Tigers.

PHS75
SEOPS HOF

Post by PHS75 »

The players are lucky that #0 for Waverly didnt give them what they deserved for playing the way they did. Allowing your players to go out and throw elbows, fist, and intentionally trying to hurt someone is coaching. One of these days those players are going to get out on the court and get whats coming to them by someone who isnt going to put up with it.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Oak Hill has beat Waverly 7 in a row, Coach Robertson and the Tiger faithful need to quit making excuses and take care of business....they've got the talent.

Waverly seems to play really soft in big games.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Ty Webb wrote:Oak Hill has beat Waverly 7 in a row, Coach Robertson and the Tiger faithful need to quit making excuses and take care of business....they've got the talent.

Waverly seems to play really soft in big games.
No ones making excuses. Oak Hill has a fine basketball team.

We just don't like the dirty play. Oak Hill is developing a reputation and it's not one that should make anyone proud.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The official who witnessed the "cheap shot" in question, gave Mr. all world coach Persin the option of sitting Mr. all class Hale the remainder of the game or he was tossing him which would be a two game suspension. Witnessing the past two years of Oak Hill play I would guess Norm would have encouraged more of the same dirty play had the official not given him the choice. He was actually let off very easy. He should have been ejected with no questions asked. His flagrant elbow to the eye was not the first elbow thrown in that game and wasn't the last.

I don't understand how a coach can hurl the language Norm does and not be called on it while a player can lip a word in frustration and get T'd up.

NONE OF THOSE COMMENTS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHO WON OR LOST SO SAVE THE, "QUIT WHINNING RESPONSE". I wouldn't agree with that kind of play or that kind of language from Waverly.
Last edited by smurray on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I thought it was hard to believe that Norm actually disciplined someone for rough play. Your explanation from the scorer's table puts a different light on things. I did notice that no explanation was given by the refs.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Its about time somebody calls Oak Hill on their dirty play

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

That's coming from a South WEbster fan who had fans not so many years back yell "Baby Killer" to a player on a team that had just lost his child? Yeah, a lot of clss there too.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

I'm not doubting your account of the option Ragland gave to Persin. I just didn't know an official could give a coach that option. Yes, I'd agree the kid got off pretty easy just missing 3.5 qtrs from what I saw. #0 was down in a hurry.

If play like this is encouraged at Oak Hill, I doubt any further action will be taken by Coach Persin. If it is not encouraged, well, in some cases a kid will run till his tongue hangs out - or some such punishment. It all depends on the philosophy of the coach.
Last edited by tap in bogey on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Downtown wrote:That's coming from a South WEbster fan who had fans not so many years back yell "Baby Killer" to a player on a team that had just lost his child? Yeah, a lot of clss there too.
Were not taking about the fans were talking about the lack of class of the coach and players of Oak Hill.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

tap,
I agree, it's not really an option but that's what he told Persin. It was a flragrant cheap shot (not the first of the game) and he should have been tossed with no questions asked. Same stuff happened last year and it sounds like it is happening other places. I think we know the answer of it be encouraged or not.
Last edited by smurray on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

I mentioning the fans strictly because a South Webster fan described "class". There's a difference in playing dirty and playing physical. Every year that Oak Hill goes to Waverly someone complains about Oak Hill playing this way. They(Waverly) did the same thing when Walls was in high school there and a player out-hustled him to get a ball that was falling out-of-bounds. Every one of their fans basically yelled "rape" becuase Walls got touched. It happens every year there. Oak Hill gets a little physical with them and they whine and cry. Has some physical/"dirty" play went on in the past few years? Yes but, on both sides. Last year, I specifically remember a Waverly player attempting to choke an Oak Hill player. This is a two-way street.

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

What is going on with Waverly,I'm really surprised at their season thus far,what seems to be the promblem can anyone from tigerland explain.Kretzer and Martin are very good ball players.

Return to “Boys Basketball”