AP #5 DII Zanesville @ AP #2 DIII Piketon 1-29-2011

Trivium5
Freshman Team

Re: AP #5 DII Zanesville @ AP #2 DIII Piketon 1-29-2011

Post by Trivium5 »

Wow. Tanner Gibson is a machine! He's by far one of the best guards I've seen. Does he have any offers? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone let me know. Thanks. Good luck to high teams the rest of the season!

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Post by Joesouth »

Got beat by a better team tonight. Gibson is a player! I thought they couldnt stop Legg either good experience for the Redstreaks. Time to get focused on Southeastern and winning the SVC.

last_in
Waterboy

Post by last_in »

Gibson is going to COLUMBIA

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

Philos_Finest wrote:
southernohio13 wrote:number 1 team that really wasn't number 1 imo. just going off last years record/performance.....
They were still undefeated when Zanesville beat them.
didnt they lose nearly everyone off their great team from last year?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

southernohio13 wrote:
Philos_Finest wrote:
southernohio13 wrote:number 1 team that really wasn't number 1 imo. just going off last years record/performance.....
They were still undefeated when Zanesville beat them.
didnt they lose nearly everyone off their great team from last year?
Zanesville like most great programs reloads. They have some years that are not great but very rarely do they have down years. Also, they play Top level D1 schools home and away, so road games don't bother them.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Zanesville has a great team and has been a solid program for years. One of the NBA's top scorers, Kevin Martin (approx 24 ppg) went to ZHS just a few short years ago. Great effort by both teams tonight. Legg played well for the Streaks, just needed someone else to step up with a good game. Gibson is awesome - the play at the end of the third was, unfortunately, special.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

hitchbone64 wrote:Zanesville like most great programs reloads. They have some years that are not great but very rarely do they have down years. Also, they play Top level D1 schools home and away, so road games don't bother them.
I think he was talking about Massillon Jackson.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
hitchbone64 wrote:Zanesville like most great programs reloads. They have some years that are not great but very rarely do they have down years. Also, they play Top level D1 schools home and away, so road games don't bother them.
I think he was talking about Massillon Jackson.
They annually play a top D1 school out of the north. Warren Harding is another that comes to mind. This loss will make Piketon better in the long run. Nothing like a big loss to get the kids even hungrier. I applaud Coach Lisath for scheduling these match ups.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Did Piketon scout Zanesville at all? Pretty sure ZHS saw Piketon at least twice. I'd bet you that had a lot to do with what happened tonight. Nobody prepares its team better than the ZHS staff.

Gibson and Carpenter were starters on the final four team last year. Barker and Myers were subs. Haddox saw limited minutes. Burrell is a former Zanesville kid who transferred back home, but was a top player at his previous school. BTW, we get very few transfers IN -- Rian is one of just three impact transfers we've had in Aronhalt's 21 seasons.

Bottom line is the polls are garbage. The proof is on the floor. This game will help both teams during "money time." Leave it at that.

osufanatic
Waterboy

Post by osufanatic »

zanesville was by far the best team the streaks had faced this year, and just what i thought would happen happened, legg had no supporting cast tonight, the redstreaks desperately need someone to step up and start scoring in big games ! come tourney time i hope a streak or two steps up on the offensive end.....gibson and legg are the best two gaurds in the area!

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Did Piketon scout Zanesville at all? Pretty sure ZHS saw Piketon at least twice. I'd bet you that had a lot to do with what happened tonight. Nobody prepares its team better than the ZHS staff.

Gibson and Carpenter were starters on the final four team last year. Barker and Myers were subs. Haddox saw limited minutes. Burrell is a former Zanesville kid who transferred back home, but was a top player at his previous school. BTW, we get very few transfers IN -- Rian is one of just three impact transfers we've had in Aronhalt's 21 seasons.

Bottom line is the polls are garbage. The proof is on the floor. This game will help both teams during "money time." Leave it at that.

Warren might have you beat on the scouting department... :)

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Big crowd at The Oven tonight but unfortunately for the Piketon faithful their homestanding Streaks didn't measure up to Zanesville tonight. Zanesville is easily the best team The Chef has welcomed to the Oven in memory. Good luck to Zanesville and now Piketon must turn around this defeat and move on.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Warren might spend more time, but I don't know if they do it better. Did t seem to work too well during our SEOAL days ...

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Warren might spend more time, but I don't know if they do it better. Did t seem to work too well during our SEOAL days ...
Difference between getting team ready and having the horses to do anything about it.

Zanesville had way more talent and maybe should have won even easier. Coach just didn't like Warren because his boy got ruffed up alittle when he played. He knows ask him,

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Yeah, right. I'll take your word for it. "Roughed up" is a delicate way of describing what went on in those games.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Zanesville is the real deal, they close out on D and in your face making you earn everything. Legg held his own and more against this, however I hope the rest of the team takes something from this game. Gibson is a man among boys, has all the tangibles a great player needs, smarts, quickness, handles, shooting range and a tenacity for the game. Zville had a lot of players step up, Piketon didnt.

You play a game like this to gauge where you are at, and Piketon will take this lesson and run with it!

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Exactly! Noted this before that if you're a top team, or believe you are, you should find more of these matchups as possible. Too many coaches want to protect gaudy regular season records. Challenge your kids! Don't be afraid to take a loss to make your kids better. Honestly, now, if this helps Piketon better itself, and they use it as a springboard to the final four ... will anyone there really remember this game all that much?

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Zanesville was the MUCH better team last night. Few if any weaknesses- outstanding defense, non-stop movement on offense, ferocious on the boards. Only negative was the woofing by Gibson- keep it to yourself, because one day someone will shove it down your throat.

Piketon needs to look at this game hard. Flaws that they have been able to overcome were exploited. I have confidence that Coach Lisath and crew will address them, and use the loss to make them a better team. Look forward to the rest of the season as well as a long run in the tournament. GO STREAKS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... first up it was nice to meet up with Coach Kelley, eagles73 and mikepike at the OVEN Saturday night ... BIG crowd ... as I told mike - wished it could have been better outcome for the RedStreaks BUT ... as is being pointed out when you schedule the 'ville you KNOW what you are going to get - one of the most consistent "programs/systems" anywhere in Ohio ... In my mind, Coach Lisath knew what he was getting into both last year and this year in the home and home - had to have that "where do we stand - barometer" type games; as well as "IF we get a W - great( we're where we want to be ... IF we lose, a game that shows HIS players THAT is where WE want to get IF we are going to make a run back to the show" - win win ...

... pfloyd Zanesville Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats ...

Scoring ... Gibson 26, Haddox 10, Burnell 9, Carpenter 8, Barker 7, Myers 4, Brantley 1
3-pointers ... 7/13 ... Gibson 4, Haddox 2 , Burrell 1
FT's ... 10/16
TOs ... 10

... Pfloyd IMOs the 'ville ...

Doesn't matter what year you go see a Coach Aronhalt ZHS squad play you ALWAYS get the same quality TEAM characteristics : Players who DO KNOW the nuances of the positions they play (ie. Gibson, Carpenter), Patience on the offensive end of the floor, crisp passing/ball movement, strength in the paint/on the boards (doesn't necessarily mean size - ALL ZHS players "bang" in the paint ) ... solid rebounding position, fundamentally sound defense -> great movement side to side, punishing you with the body BUT taking the hands out of the equation ... what you get is a TEAM that has one goal every year no matter what the talent level - WIN THE STATE in whatever division the powers that be decide they belong ... excellent ball club - they never let me down, as I've said on many occasions I ALWAYS go somewhere to catch Coach Aronhalt's boyz , EVERY year - something about "fundamentals, TEAM" that puts a smile on my face ... best of luck down the road to the 'ville ...

...pfloyd Piketon "unofficial" official Napkin Stats ...

Scoring ... Evan Legg 26, Zack Farmer 6, Moore 4, Brush 3 ... Legg was the only player to hit a FG in the first half of action for the Streaks ... PHS had no fgs in the 2nd quarter (5/6 from the FT line only) ...

3-pointers ... 3/11 ... Legg/Moore/Farmer each 1

FT's ... 16/24
TOs ... 14 ... with the ZHS pressure defensively NOT a bad number at all ...

... Pfloyd IMOs Piketon ...

PHS was a step slow defensively all night (although I don't know many who could be equal with Mr. Gibson) , board strength of ZHS showed even with PHS going zone, imo the BIG difference was the Streaks weren't ready for the smothering defensive effort that ZHS brings to the floor as their "normal" man to man defense ... #22 Burrell for the 'ville made E Legg work hard for any shot he had in that first half ... AND even as old as I am , I KNOW that ONE player "ain't" going to beat TEAM especially a TEAM as well "schooled" in the game as any Zanesville squad ... as has been posted - GOT TO learn from this one , lots of teachable moments that Coach Lisath WILL point out in the coming weeks of the season ... I look for Piketon to be a better team WITH this loss ...

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Mikepike, that is a natural reaction he has when things are going well. He's been that way for a long time. He doesn't yap.

Pfloyd, thanks for the comments about our program. We've been blessed these past 21 years, not only with a super head coach and staff, but also kids who have been willing to buy in to what we're doing and understand the desire to perpetuate our traditions. Hope you're doing much better, BTW.

Return to “Boys Basketball”