AP #5 DII Zanesville @ AP #2 DIII Piketon 1-29-2011

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Re: AP #5 DII Zanesville @ AP #2 DIII Piketon 1-29-2011

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Congrats to Zanesville and bringing a nice crowd to the oven was awesome support. Zanesville is a very solid basketball team and regardless of the outcome, my beloved Streaks took a lot from the game. My thoughts for Piketon:
1. Must have a consistent scorer other than Legg
2. With Vulgamore out with an ankle injury, it forced Legg to the point and with the ball in his hands everyone just stands and watch. The team must run an offense (even when Legg is at the point).
3. Brush was 0-7; Braniff 0-9 (according to the radio post game show) that hurts when you can't score in the paint.
4. Lisath is my favorite coach; but you've been pressing and playing man all season...why switch to zone for this one?
5. The pressure of winning to go undefeated is over...now let's start playing some ball.

Zanes-Vegas, Lisath said on the radio Zanesville was scouted twice (the Massillon Jackson game was mentioned). Zanesville was on their game and the Streaks has been flirting with disaster the last two games, so it was evident this massacre was on the horizon. Lisath said three games were strategically placed on the schedule for the purpose of finding out how good his team is and what is needed going into the final weeks while preparing for the tournament. The early season playing at DII Columbus Mifflin, then DII Zanesville a little after the Holiday break; then finish the season going into the tournament with DII Vinton County. I like it....I just hope it proves to be the difference in making a deep tournament run.

The only other comment is; I wish we had the best officials in the SE calling this game.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Jimmy - do you seriously think Piketon could have pressed Zanesville effectively - especially w/o Vulgamore playing? Pressing Zanesville would have been a very bad idea, IMO.

About the zone - I'm guessing Coach Lisath was taking his chances that ZV might have been off their outside shooting game and/or else someone said he mentioned on the radio on Friday night that outside shooting was ZV biggest weakness (I didn't hear that, it's just what someone told me - so I'm up to being corrected on repeating second hand quotes - if that wasn't said, I will come back on here and apologize). So far as the defense is concerned, IMO, the Streaks were just up against a very good basketball team, a balanced team, a well-coached team that was well schooled in all fundamentals of the game. I prefer man defense and coached that way a high majority of the time but when you are playing against a team as talented as that, you must sometimes go against the defense you prefer. Your job as a coach is to do what gives your team the best chance to win. This is why all the SVC teams are now playing zone against US. They don't feel like they can guard us man so they do what gives them the best chance to beat us - and the opponent's zone defenses has made the SVC games much closer in the past four weeks. It is much easier to move from a man to a zone than from a zone to a man defense.

Your points were well taken and valid - it's just that I felt #4 could be explained.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

We've been a little streaky, from the perimeter, so he was right to give the zone a try. I've got to figure we're a tad quicker, so man would have been problematic. Also, basically all of our players can put it on the floor, which makes it even more difficult.

It is apparent Lisath does it the way we do it. I asked about scouting only because I hadn't noticed any in our gym. I don't understand how any program worth it's salt, or believes it is, can ignore scouting. BTW -- as far as we know, Massillon Jackson didn't scout us.

Good luck to the Streaks the rest of the way.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

From The Chef's perspective which is very limited - trust me on this one unless you wanna talk the culinary arts - the only thing disappointing about the Zanesville game was Piketon losing. The crowd, atmosphere, uniforms, turning the lights out, the band, cheerleaders, the student sections, the smell of popcorn in the air, it doesn't get any better. It had a big event flavor. Both teams gave it their all and it just wasn't Piketon's night. Zanesville is really good. They couldn't miss. Both teams will move on and The Oven was a special place to be Saturday night and a memorable night despite the lose. Good Luck to both teams. Wouldn't want to play either team come tournament time.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

One negative I forgot to mention was the home crowd. When things are going well or going poorly, show class. No need to boo opposing players. The refs weren't out to screw Piketon, we just couldn't handle the physical play of Zanesville. When tourney begins, everyone is going to play physically. Have to go with how the game is being called. Sit a game at the scorers table, where you can't yell and you have to pay attention. You'll see the game differently. I know i do.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Just to clarify my previous comment: I was once a loudmouth knucklehead who felt obligated to yell whatever and whenever I wanted during a game. Didn't matter who was playing, if I felt like saying it, I said it. Realized a few years ago that, as a fan, I have no bearing on the game, unless I get under the skin of a ref, which may actually harm the team I'm rooting for. Piketon fans are great, but keep in mind that high school kids are playing, and doing their best. Also, as a former baseball umpire, the officials don't get together before a game and decide to stick it to one team. They do their best as well. They sometimes miss things, but then, I do too. It took me a long time to realize that sports are not the most important thing in life. I am much more relaxed, and I rest easier as a result.

pfloyd, nice meeting you. Hope all goes well for you, and keep up the insightful reports from the stands.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Well said, mikepike. I've spent many years at the table, so to speak, as a writer, broadcaster and announcer. There are many times I cringe at what I hear coming from the fans. I mean, really? Sometimes it's downright embarrassing.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Zanes-Vegas - didn't Kevin Martin play in the Ohio-Ky all star game at Shawnee State at the end of his sr year? He's not in their list of alumni and I clearly remember him playing there. Am I losing it?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

I don't remember for sure if he played in that game. I'll have to check.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:I don't remember for sure if he played in that game. I'll have to check.
Thanks - the curiosity is getting to me. :)

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Confirmed. Kevin did play in that game.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Pfloyd...it was equally great meeting you in person and chatting a little....Everything you mentioned about Zanesville was true to form (as always)...that team is special and solid! Led by a great coach. The streaks couldn't get anything going from team perspective. (give Zanesville credit) Disappointed that we didn't represent as well as I believe we should've...However, as mentioned, we will take a lot out of that game. Sunday, I still woke up (thankfully) and Im still a Redstreak fan, I still believe in our players, I still believe in our coach, and I believe we can get better for a long run in the tourney. 14-1 at this point pretty good, I think....we will get better starting in the lockeroom after that game.
I look for a strong rebound this week....was a great atmosphere. Back to work.

Thanks again for visiting, and as always be well, and stay strong. Always in our prayers, and thanks for what you do for high school sports and the KIDs in SE Ohio!

Go Streaks!

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Thanks ZV - I tried to tell one of the organizers of that game last year that they were missing the most successful NBA player who had ever played in the Ohio-Ky game. He was from Ky and looked at me like I was in idiot (which I can sometimes be). He didn't know who Kevin Martin was. I said, "Well, he's been averaging about 24 ppg or so." As you can see on the link below, he is mysteriously missing from the list of players on the website and has not been on the printed program for several years either. Maybe you could pass this along to Coach Aeronholt (sp)? I'm sure he has a lot more on his mind than this right now but someday might want to see that it gets fixed. I just thought it would give their game some more credibility to have Kevin's name associated with it.

List of most notable Ohio-KY alumni:
http://oh-kyallstargame.com/3.html

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

He's the one who confirmed it with me. I'll tell him later why I asked. That's crazy that they didn't know!

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Now that is some serious inside info -thanks for clearing this up so I know complete senility hasn't set in just yet. I've only missed one of those games since it began and was sure he played.

Softball_skids
Freshman Team

Post by Softball_skids »

Zanesville was definitely the better team on saturday! IMO, when you take pride in your smothering defense/full court man to man etc and never give the kids a chance to prove themselves, what kind of message is that sending to the kids? I have great respect for our coaching staff,each coach comes with a lot of experience and knowledge. But there may have been an opportunity to score some easy baskets in transition, If they bust the press then what? they beat us by 40 instead of 30, I just think we/I knew the zone wasn't working, why not give it a shot? I think all in all (all though i would of like to see a closer game or win) this L takes a lot of pressure off the Streaks and may get them refocused.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

I think if you hang your hat in man defense, then it should take a lot to force you to change. That being said, if they indeed scouted us a couple times, they probably would've seen we struggled at times this year against the zone.

I figure Coach Lisath knows what he's doing. He probably believed it was his team's best chance to defend us. It didn't work because we had a good night shooting it from the perimeter.

He knows his kids, he knows what they can do and set his game plan accordingly. It just didn't work out.

My advice is not to treat this game like it was the Super Bowl. The real payoff should be in March, not January.

Softball_skids
Freshman Team

Post by Softball_skids »

I have no doubt that Coach L and staff know what they are doing. At what point do you decide it is not working and try something else? This was not the superbowl for me, I just hope it kinda of gets the kids on track and focused.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Agree with a lot of points here....it's over. The Streaks move on to Southeastern and chase that SVC Title. Streaks drop to #6 in the Polls, while Zanesville moves up to #4. Congrats to both teams.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

scottsmith ... at the point when HE decides to do so. He's the coach, and apparently a very good one. Unless, of course, he does something that the bleacher coaches disagree with. Aronhalt puts up with the same stuff.

Return to “Boys Basketball”