New Boston vs Green and Eastern.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

New Boston vs Green and Eastern.

Post by rockyraccoon »

With New Boston coming off the upset over Clay, do you think they can take the other two top teams in the SOC I out. Green is away tonight, but I think Eastern might have trouble with them at their place Friday night. They are playing much better ball and are hard to beat in the "cracker box".

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Re: New Boston vs Green and Eastern.

Post by Sawdust »

Just got back from Green - NB game. Tigers need to file a police report of a theft of a game. Pierce hits a half-court shot after the buzzer and the refs count it to give Greeen a 3 point win. Should have gone in to OT, It was clearly in his hands when the buzzer sounded. NB has improved greatly over the last month. The cat's need an inside threat, McCloud does a good job but the 2 bigs from last year are sorely missed. Green goes to 9-3 on the year but still has to play Eastern at Beaver and Clay at home.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Listened to Roger Gray interview Greens coach after the game and it was clear that Roger thought the shot was late, but he and the coach said, "oh well, a win is a win". Gray said "first it was no good, then it was good" as if one ref might have waved it off and another called it good. Sounds like the ref just didn't want to make the call against the Green fans, who from what I hear, exploded in cheer after the shot, then after a delay the "good" call was made.
Last edited by rockyraccoon on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I've been getting texts about about how badly NB got riiped off, sad to hear. The refs shouldn't make bias calls because of a SOC race, call it fair people!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay fans were getting text at the Western game. We were really pulling for NB of course. I am sure someone has it recorded and it will be shown on the internet soon.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

This didn't take long. Catches the ball with 6 seconds on video and shoots it with 8, that 2 full seconds of possesion, when there was only 1.5 seconds on the clock. Clearly the ball is still in his hands when the buzzer goes off. Heckuva shot though, just late. I think the reaction, or lack thereof, of the referee under the basketball leads me to think he thought the shot was late. He was looking up the court at the play, and made no movement to run off the court after the shot. He grabbed the ball and started walking up floor. If he believed the game was over, you would expect him to run off the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/user/greenbobcat ... keOup3Ym-U
Last edited by rockyraccoon on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-varsity-
JV Team

Post by -varsity- »

Terrible no call by the refs! I watched it and then went back and paused it and it was clearly still in the kids hand! Great shot but 2 late. Should have gone into OT.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

This game should be a warning to Eastern, who play New Boston at their place Friday.

Big Red
Riding the Bench

Post by Big Red »

All that in 1.6 seconds. Nothing has changed at that place since Mike Hughes was the man. And yes i was there.

baller7
Waterboy

Post by baller7 »

Now remember the officials are assigned. and Green didn't get on here and complain although I heard they got hosed at Clay. And the officials are only human any official that says he has never missed a call is a liar. We have all seen missed calls at games. Also you don't know you may have lost anyway had it went to OT.

BuckeyeFan66
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeFan66 »

Big Red wrote:All that in 1.6 seconds. Nothing has changed at that place since Mike Hughes was the man. And yes i was there.
All that in 1.6 seconds. Nothing has changed at that place since Mike Hughes was the man. And yes i was there.
If Hughes was still the man Green would have been up by 30 with 1.6 seconds left.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

baller7 wrote:Now remember the officials are assigned. and Green didn't get on here and complain although I heard they got hosed at Clay. And the officials are only human any official that says he has never missed a call is a liar. We have all seen missed calls at games. Also you don't know you may have lost anyway had it went to OT.

Hosed at Clay? Hmmmmmm, I don't remember that.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

I believe it was 2.6 on the clock listen to Roger Gray
but after watch the video a few times I believe he was
a little late but it was a great shot. Great job by the Bobcats
this year at 9-3 have already won as many games this year
as last year. Best of Luck the rest of the season.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It was a great shot, but definetly late. If you play the video and stop it just right on 7 seconds, you can hear the buzzer starting to go off and then he shoots.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

rockyraccoon wrote:This didn't take long. Catches the ball with 6 seconds on video and shoots it with 8, that 2 full seconds of possesion, when there was only 1.5 seconds on the clock. Clearly the ball is still in his hands when the buzzer goes off. Heckuva shot though, just late. I think the reaction, or lack thereof, of the referee under the basketball leads me to think he thought the shot was late. He was looking up the court at the play, and made no movement to run off the court after the shot. He grabbed the ball and started walking up floor. If he believed the game was over, you would expect him to run off the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/user/greenbobcat ... keOup3Ym-U
Wow, I just watched the video and that may be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. How can you have three officials watching the play and still call that good? Not trying to take anything away from Pierce, because that was a great shot. But it was clearly after the buzzer!

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

I called the JV game but could not stay to watch the varsity game, but I can say that the 3 officials are not from the Portsmouth chapter [not SOC regular officials]. Did they miss the call? Maybe so....But I seriously doubt that it was missed for the reason of "Homered"...These guys are good officials & yes...We miss calls...If they missed this one then I am sure they regret it....Bad thing is that they cannot go back & change it now.

I actually wanted to post to say that it was GREAT to see both sides of fans erupt & the NB jv coach show a ton of class by standing & clapping for the young man on Greens jv squad who came in the last minute of the game & hit 2 free throws & a 6 foot jump shot. I am guessing that this may be the young mans 1st ever scoring...Just a guess...But it was great to see the class shown by both sides...

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Homered is just a generic term for "bad call on the road". I could tell by Roger Gray's voice and Green's coach in the interview that they both were skeptical of the shot, but as they said, "a win is a win". I am still curious as to why Roger said after the game "first it was bad, then it was good". Sounded like the call was made and then changed, or one ref called it good and one called it bad. The guy under the rim didn't call anything. He just grabbed the ball and started walking up court, not running off like the game was over.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

Congratulations to the "Cats" on a great win.... Keep it going Green! A truly great display of sportsmanship shown by the New Boston JV coach near the end of the JV game... You're a class act Ryan..

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I think this would have been a much bigger issue if New Boston had been in the hunt for the SOC title. I am sure they don't like it,but it didn't cost them their season. Bottom line is, you have to live with the calls, good or bad.

Here is the PDT article on the game.

FRANKLIN FURNACE – The New Boston Tigers and the Green Bobcats battled throughout the 32 minutes of play Tuesday night.

It took a half-court, buzzer-beating shot from Pat Pierce to lead the host Bobcats to a 55-52 victory. This after the Tigers took an 11-point lead into the final quarter.

The question to some was whether or not it happened before the horn.

“That's the officials' call,” Green coach Bobby Blanton said. “I'm not sure, that's the officials' call. The official called it good.”

To New Boston coach Don Stapleton, his viewpoint was different.

“With 1.6 seconds to go and a guy gets the ball 90-feet from the basket, most of the time you're going to overtime,” Stapleton said. “It just wasn't meant to be.”

The Tigers were on the verge of pulling their second-straight upset of an SOC I leader in as many games. On Saturday, New Boston defeated SOC I co-leader Clay 64-54.

The Tigers took a 13-12 first quarter lead and expanded it to as much as three to start the second quarter thanks to two of Drake Thompson's game-high 17 points. But a 7-0 run by Green put the conference leaders up 19-15 and the Bobcats led 26-25 at the half.

New Boston came out of the locker room and made nine of its 17 shots in the third quarter, with six of the baskets coming in a row and the final attempts the Tigers made in the period. Most of the success generated by the visiting team was from Trey Branham, who finished with six points and six assists.

Trialing 47-38 heading into the fourth quarter, Blanton knew his squad needed a different mindset.

“We were down 11 and we put ourselves in a situation with a chance to win the game,” Blanton said.

And that situation was a stingier defense. New Boston shot two-for-nine from the field during the final period.

“We've stressed defense from day one and we're starting to stress defense even more,” Blanton said.

The Tigers did have a chance to score the go-ahead basket, but a Buckley turnover gave the ball back to Green. From that point, Pierce described the hectic nature towards the end of the game.

“The original plan was to lob it up to T.J. (McCloud),” Pierce said. “But I seen Tyler (Hughes), he was struggling getting the ball in so I cut out on a circular cut and Tyler got me the ball.

“I turned around and I had Buckley and another guy on me,” Pierce added. “...I seen the clock ticking and I knew that I had about one second left when I took the last dribble...The shot was going out of my hands and I heard the horn, I wasn't really sure but it's hard to tell in a pressure-cooker like that.”

Hughes led the Bobcats with 15 points while Pierce added 13. Green returns to the friendly confines Friday to host Western Pike.

New Boston has the Pike County double-dip this weekend with a home game Friday against Eastern and a make-up game Saturday against Western.

CODY LEIST can be reached at cleist@heartlandpublications.com or by phone at (740) 353-3101 ext. 242.

New Boston 13 12 19 5 – 52

Green 12 14 12 17 – 55

New Boston – Buckley 4 1 9, Bledsoe 2 0 4, Mohr 1 2 4, Branham 2 0 4, Spears 3 1 8, Horsley 2 2 6, Thompson 7 1 17, Totals 21 7 52.

Green – Hughes 5 5 15, Pierce 5 2 13, Bruce 5 4 14, McCloud 3 7 13, Totals 18 18 55.

3-Pointers – New Boston 3 (Thompson 2, Spears); Green 1 (Pierce).

Records – New Boston 2-11 (2-8); Green 9-3 (7-1).

Read more: Portsmouth Daily Times - Pierce buzzer beater avoids Green upset

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

rockyraccoon wrote
This game should be a warning to Eastern, who play New Boston at their place Friday.
Im just wondering why if something happen at Green, then why would Eastern be getting warned when there going to play at New Boston?????

Return to “Boys Basketball”