Best coaching strategies

The Mullet
Waterboy

Best coaching strategies

Post by The Mullet »

Ok guys, I was waiting for someone to start this annual favorite of mine, but I guess I will have to do it. What is the best strategy for getting the "refs attention" if you know what I mean? Wink, wink. :lol:

1. The Stomp

2. The Scream

3. The Scowl

4. The Screech (aka the whistle)

5. Combo Stomp/Scowl

6. Combo Stomp/Scream

7. Combo Scream/Scowl

Coaching greats like Howie, Koons, Norm, Carl, and some others made these techniques well known around the area. We all know the refs cower down when faced with these browbeating tirades, but which one is the best?

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Re: Best coaching strategies

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

The scream was always effective in the Dungeon when koondogger coached. Usually effective in getting him a front row seat for the rest of the game. :lol: Howsies Stomp is usually good for a few calls, and if it doesn't work you prolly wont see those refs do any more of their games. ;-)

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

How about the the strategy of treating officials like adults and respecting the job they do on the floor! My father was a well respected coach that treated the officials with respect and excepted the decisons they made on the floor! I never saw him berate or yell at an official when he was coaching!

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

Hoppy wrote:How about the the strategy of treating officials like adults and respecting the job they do on the floor! My father was a well respected coach that treated the officials with respect and excepted the decisons they made on the floor! I never saw him berate or yell at an official when he was coaching!
Prolly never got a call either :lol: Seriously, NEVER yelled at a ref? Man that is unheard of today coaches act like it is their right of passage to yell at the refs. :lol:

Coach Coreno
Waterboy

Post by Coach Coreno »

You are right Hoppy. Sometimes coaches get into the heat of the game and might say some things but you are right........With the exception of David Hopkins I think the rest of the officials in southern ohio do a good job. :122245 .....................I love ya HOPPY!!!!

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

The people who remember my father coaching will tell you he never yelled at an official and never asked for a call. He has to much respect for himself, players , school , officials and the game to act like that.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

you forogt the clipboard slam...

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I remember seeing Norm Persin kick a chair halfway across his end of the court once at a game in Wheelersburg that really got the officials attention. So much so that Norm got a free pass to the locker room. :mrgreen:

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

hard to beat the stomp at the eagles nest!

Return to “Boys Basketball”