Officiating and the treatment they get in Southern Ohio

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Officiating and the treatment they get in Southern Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

KVDW wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:Heck, Ive even made a mistake or three and Im neither a player, coach, or referee.
you must be a parent though. i've heard several on here call you a "mother".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

wink wrote:What's amusing to me is that with all this hoopla I have never seen an official change his mind once he made a call regardless what a player or fan said and the only time I have ever seen the winner of a game reversed was when an ineligible player was discovered later on.

So what's it all worth? :)

Great post. All the screaming is meaningless as far as getting a call goes. All it does is detract from the game, and maybe cause some of the types of calls that all the fans on here seem to be complaining about in the first place.

catinthefurnace
Waterboy

Post by catinthefurnace »

Most of the refs are horrible and they know it. The fans wouldn't get mad if they called it both ways but they don't. We understand that they can't see everything but when they determine the outcome of a game it's ridiculous.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

With all the talk on SEOP about officiating, good and bad, I saw one of the worst calls ever in the Green/Notre Dame game and in my opinion it was because of poor communication among the officials. Green has the ball and a player is trying to drive for a shot, a foul is called against ND while #31 has the ball. The ball comes out of his hands and #33 catches it, shoots it and makes it. The basket is counted and #31 shoots the one free throw. Two officials even came together to discuss it before the final ruling was decided.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:
wink wrote:What's amusing to me is that with all this hoopla I have never seen an official change his mind once he made a call regardless what a player or fan said and the only time I have ever seen the winner of a game reversed was when an ineligible player was discovered later on.

Great post. All the screaming is meaningless as far as getting a call goes. All it does is detract from the game, and maybe cause some of the types of calls that all the fans on here seem to be complaining about in the first place.
I disagree, it let's the refs know you are watching what they are doing. That's why they call it "working the refs" in higher level play. A coach will rip a ref for blowing a call, in hopes that he will wake up and call the game better. Perfect point is the three second call. I heard an announcer in a college game once say the first three second call is usually about 5 or 6 seconds. Once it is complained about by the coach and fans, the refs start watching for it. I have saw that many times in high school ball.

BlueJayDad
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueJayDad »

rockyraccoon wrote:
M0TIVAT0R wrote:

I disagree, it let's the refs know you are watching what they are doing. That's why they call it "working the refs" in higher level play. A coach will rip a ref for blowing a call, in hopes that he will wake up and call the game better. Perfect point is the three second call. I heard an announcer in a college game once say the first three second call is usually about 5 or 6 seconds. Once it is complained about by the coach and fans, the refs start watching for it. I have saw that many times in high school ball.

I agree. Case in point, Ripley vs Fleming Co last night. At the beginning of the game, one of the Fleming Co players drove along the baseline to the basket and stepped out of bounds on the way. I was sitting three rows back and had a clear line of sight, not to mention catching it on video camera! The ref standing on the baseline wasn't even watching the action in front of him, he was staring down the court. We (the fans) let him have it. Later in the game, the same player tried the same tactic and AGAIN stepped out of bounds. THIS time-the ref was watching and called it correctly. It doesn't always work, but sometimes you can wake them up.

Having said that, we have an amazingly wide range of ability with our referees in this area. We've got several who go out and try their best with varying levels of success, but I can at least give them points for trying. We have some who are very skilled, and it's always a blessing to see them on the court. Then we have the others who are actively hostile, who hold grudges and are biased against the team or individual players before they ever walk on the court. We need a mechanism to get rid of that type of official-they have no business being on the court.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Well since you fans know how to "wake up the refs" I guess all we need is for you guys to go out to the games and "let them have it" and only good calls will be made from there on out. Except when Blindwhitehat is at a game. Seems like he sees a lot of bad calls at all the games he goes to. I wonder if there are any calls the fans get wrong at any of these games you guys all talk about? Probably not, or else they would come on here and tell us how they really "let the ref have it" but then found out later that they were wrong and should have just let the guy do his job instead of screaming at him. :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”