Fairfield (8-9) #5 vs. Clay (11-8) #4 @ Valley HS 3/1

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Re: Fairfield (8-9) #5 vs. Clay (11-8) #4 @ Valley HS 3/1

Post by rockyraccoon »

If Porter and Valentine have a bad game, Graham and Delotell can pick up the slack, if Graham and Delotell have a bad game, Burchett and Bussler can pick up the slack, if Burchett and Bussler have a bad game, Porter and Valentine can pick up the slack. That's what Clay brings to the table, 6 players deep, plus a couple of nice bench players to boot.

NormanDale
Freshman Team

Post by NormanDale »

Ifs ands or buts.....fairfield by 12

jeremyghs05
Waterboy

Post by jeremyghs05 »

im not a clay fan at all but i will take clay by 7! and im a green graduate..GO S.O.C

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

I'm hearing Fairfield's point guard, Quentin Williams, broke his nose against Hillsboro and may be out for the rest of the year. The Lions may lose a step if he's not playing.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If Clay has 6 players that could pick up what Cox and Rolark could do there wouldn't even be a discussion on this game.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

samuelk wrote:I'm hearing Fairfield's point guard, Quentin Williams, broke his nose against Hillsboro and may be out for the rest of the year. The Lions may lose a step if he's not playing.

With today's mask technology I would hope a kid could play 2 weeks after breaking a nose.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I believe these two teams played preseason and played pretty even. Both teams were missing a starter at the time.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

On a side note, the girls teams from these two schools play at 1:00 pm at Northwest Highchool.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

i know alot of people are counting clay out but they shouldnt because they are one of the more balanced teams in the soc when it comes to scoring not just one person does it every night it splits up from game to game and that is what will help them over come fairfield

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I don't know who is counting Clay out. If the Clay that shoots 70%+ from the field shows up, no one can beat them, and they have done that at least twice this year. From what I have heard, Fairfield has two go to players. Clay's defense, can shut down two players, can Fairfield shut down five? That is what balanced scoring brings to the table.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

rockyraccoon wrote:I don't know who is counting Clay out. If the Clay that shoots 70%+ from the field shows up, no one can beat them, and they have done that at least twice this year. From what I have heard, Fairfield has two go to players. Clay's defense, can shut down two players, can Fairfield shut down five? That is what balanced scoring brings to the table.

Sorry Rocky, but if the Clay that I watched at Notre Dame shows up they will get beat 15 pts. The Ferrell boy from Fairfield is a nice player also. I think what your going to see is Clay playing a lot of zone defense and Fairfield applying some pressure on defense. I think Clay would rather have this game in the 40's.

halftime
JV Team

Post by halftime »

If it's a fast game up and down, up and down Clay will come out on top that's what Clay enjoys the most getting out and runnin the opponent.

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Post by arrowman »

From what I have seen, if Clay wants to run, they will be running back to get the ball out of the net, then attempt to break the press again. Not a good cycle to be in.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

jimmy chipwood wrote:
rockyraccoon wrote:I don't know who is counting Clay out. If the Clay that shoots 70%+ from the field shows up, no one can beat them, and they have done that at least twice this year. From what I have heard, Fairfield has two go to players. Clay's defense, can shut down two players, can Fairfield shut down five? That is what balanced scoring brings to the table.

Sorry Rocky, but if the Clay that I watched at Notre Dame shows up they will get beat 15 pts. The Ferrell boy from Fairfield is a nice player also. I think what your going to see is Clay playing a lot of zone defense and Fairfield applying some pressure on defense. I think Clay would rather have this game in the 40's.
In the first quarter of that game I would have to agree, in the last quarter, big difference. Clay averages over 60 ppg, so I look for a high scoring game. They can't seem to hold onto the ball long enough for a slow down, low scoring contest.

Downtown
Freshman Team

Post by Downtown »

Fairfield by 20, 65-45.

halftime
JV Team

Post by halftime »

Tournament time is ten times different then regular season play. Clay will be ready to play they haven't won a tourney for about 3-4 years so they will be looking for there first win in awhile and they have one of the best teams they have had in awhile. There record may not show it but they lost to some tough teams by under 10 points and lost some games they shouldn't have because they weren't ready to play. Clay better come out ready for Fairfield's defense but Fairfield better be ready for Clay to shoot lights out like they usually do!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Good luck to Clay in this one. South Webster saw first-hand what Clay is capable of if they are hitting shots. But we also have seen what Clay is capable of by getting beat at home by New Boston. I think the big boy for Fairfield in the middle will give them fits and ultimately be the difference, though.*

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

If the "good" Clay team shows up it will be close and could go either way----if the "other" Clay team shows up then they could be in for a long night. Either way---play hard Panthers and get another win for the SOC.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay seems to play their best when they are even or down a few points. It't when they get up 8 points or so in the 3rd and 4th quarters that they seem to lose focus. So the closer the game, the better I like their chances of making it to the convo.

halftime
JV Team

Post by halftime »

We are one day away from this great match up.

Return to “Boys Basketball”