CLAY 58 @ NOTRE DAME 57

rockyraccoon
All Conference

CLAY 58 @ NOTRE DAME 57

Post by rockyraccoon »

CLAY.....7.....17.....13.....21.....58
N. D......19....14.....14....10......57

I was worried that this game would be a lot closer than the last match. No one had even mentioned this game all week and Clay might have been looking past ND, but after ND's 4 point loss to Green, I knew they wouldn't be the same team we saw last month. It was their senior night, and they were fired up both on the floor and in the stands and jumped out on a lethargic Clay team 19 - 7 in the first quarter. That really energized their fans. Clay managed to cut the lead to 6 points a couple of times, but ND always managed to steal a pass or force a turnover and push the lead back up. With 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter Clay finally made their run. They were down 51 - 39 and went on a 12 - 2 run to bring it to 53 - 51. Clay took their first lead with only 20 seconds left going up 57 to 56. ND tied it back up with 16.5 at the foul line, hitting the front end of a 1 and 1. Clay drives and gets fouled and hit the back end of their 2 foul shots to go up 58-57 with 12 seconds, ND works the ball down floor and gets a decent look from the corner, but Clay's defense forced them to take it beyond the three point line and it came up just short. Clay's Cody Bussler had 27 points tonight, maybe a season and career high. Nathan Burhcett was the only other player for Clay in double figures with 11, the 11th being the go ahead free throw.
Great mood in the stands, almost as loud as the Green match. While I am glad Clay came out on top, I really felt sorry for Notre Dame's boys. They played their hearts out, and it looked like they had it in the bag. Sometimes it's just a shame that someone has to loose, but they played with class tonight and finished their season on a strong note and really made a big improvement from the first of the year.
Good luck to both teams in Tourney play. ND should get a first win over Western and will not be push over in their next game.
Clay is going to have to cut down the sloppy ball handling and fix their full court press, which gave up about 5 wide open lay-ups tonight.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: CLAY 58 @ NOTRE DAME 57

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to the Panthers on the win. Does that finish them at 12-8 in the regular season?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

12 - 8 season, 11 - 3 SOC I. Now Coach Trainer needs to get his first tournament win.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Was the Minelli boy out? I was hoping his Dad would get some more great photos, but I didn't see him tonight.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I think it's actually Milani.

It's not Liza's boy. :mrgreen:

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Rocky,

What number was the Bussler kid? I would have never guessed anybody in this game would have had 27 points after watching the game.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

nice wrap up Coon' . ND boys played great but their lack of knowing how to make that 1 play or 1 crucial stop or being able to consistiently execute during the later minutes of a tight game really trips them up. But thats OK, at one point in the 4th quarter last night we had 2 Jr's and 3 Soph's on the floor and ultimately Clay's experience led them to the W .

I got to give a " nice call" to the Clay coaching staff , they came out of a time out with 12 seconds to go and went zone after playing man all night, it briefly stunned the ND offense, just long enough for them to only be able to get off a late 3 , I'm sure they would have preferred something going to the hoop , or at least a chance for a rebound.

Lastly to the official who swallowed his whistle with ND up one in possesion of the ball at about the 1;15 mark in the 4th. Pierron was dribbling towards the middle from the right wing and was leg hooked (for lack of a better word) Clay player attempted to draw a charge but had no position at all so he just stuck his entire leg out and drew contact with his knee. Pierron falls to the floor. Official calls a walk. While I have publically bragged on this crew I fail to see how a official can watch a player in possesion of the ball get taken to the floor after contact and not call either a block or a charge . Contact was certainly made , advantage was certainly gained , SO MAKE A CALL ! Sadly he blew it and called a walk. Having said that it did'nt cost ND the game. One call rarely does. MD

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

jimmy chipwood wrote:Rocky,

What number was the Bussler kid? I would have never guessed anybody in this game would have had 27 points after watching the game.
Bussler was #3. He had 27, Burchett had 11, Graham had 7, Valentine had 6, Porter had 5 and Delotell had 2. That my unofficial tally, but it does add up to 58.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

ManitouDan wrote:nice wrap up Coon' . ND boys played great but their lack of knowing how to make that 1 play or 1 crucial stop or being able to consistiently execute during the later minutes of a tight game really trips them up. But thats OK, at one point in the 4th quarter last night we had 2 Jr's and 3 Soph's on the floor and ultimately Clay's experience led them to the W .

I got to give a " nice call" to the Clay coaching staff , they came out of a time out with 12 seconds to go and went zone after playing man all night, it briefly stunned the ND offense, just long enough for them to only be able to get off a late 3 , I'm sure they would have preferred something going to the hoop , or at least a chance for a rebound.

Lastly to the official who swallowed his whistle with ND up one in possesion of the ball at about the 1;15 mark in the 4th. Pierron was dribbling towards the middle from the right wing and was leg hooked (for lack of a better word) Clay player attempted to draw a charge but had no position at all so he just stuck his entire leg out and drew contact with his knee. Pierron falls to the floor. Official calls a walk. While I have publically bragged on this crew I fail to see how a official can watch a player in possesion of the ball get taken to the floor after contact and not call either a block or a charge . Contact was certainly made , advantage was certainly gained , SO MAKE A CALL ! Sadly he blew it and called a walk. Having said that it did'nt cost ND the game. One call rarely does. MD

Got to agree with you 'ouDan. The officials let a lot of calls go last night. There was several hard contacts on lay-ups that have to either be a charge or a block, and no call. The bigger guy made 80% of the calls, the little might have blown his whistle one time.
The zone call at the end was a shock. I think Trainer has been beaten too many times by back door cuts and lay ups and decided if they were going to lose, it was going to be from a much lower percentage shot.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

IMo there were a few instances of players getting hit on shot attempts thet were not called.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

On the plus side for them is they stayed consistent all night. Had they changed to calling touch fouls at the end, Clay would have struggled to comeback.
BTW, did Milani play? Was his father taking pictures?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Yes and Yes , Jacob was # 32 ?? I think , He was on the floor the majority of the time and his father was taking photo's.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Thanks, I didn't hear his name. I thought I saw one of your players in street clothes. Does Milani post his photos to the web.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

rockyraccoon wrote:12 - 8 season, 11 - 3 SOC I. Now Coach Trainer needs to get his first tournament win.
Didn't realize that Clay's last tourney win was 3/6/2007 a 45-41 win over Waterford in the district semi's.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

don't know 100% about the photo's but I'm 99% sure he does -- he post them on here sometimes --he goes by photo electric guy or something like that MD

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

rockyraccoon wrote:Thanks, I didn't hear his name. I thought I saw one of your players in street clothes. Does Milani post his photos to the web.

I think he goes by PhotoElectricGuy on here so PM and ask him. He's a really nice guy.

bean counter
Waterboy

Post by bean counter »

Senior night, what a joke. The three ND seniors were on the bench. The only quarter all the seniors played was some of the first quarter.
Definitely didn't let the older boys participate in their last high school home game.

Stump353
Waterboy

Post by Stump353 »

I think the seniors did play some but what gave them the best chance to win? Playing the seniors majority of the game or play your normal rotation? I think I'd go with my normal rotation.

gwell
Freshman Team

Post by gwell »

bean counter wrote:Senior night, what a joke. The three ND seniors were on the bench. The only quarter all the seniors played was some of the first quarter.
Definitely didn't let the older boys participate in their last high school home game.
You were suprised?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I had been told they were having more success with the younger squad, and that is your next years team. So start the seniors but put your best team on the floor to win. They almost pulled off the "upset" with what they had on the floor. Not sure what changes they made from the first match up but Clay had them 50 - 25 when they put in their subs.

Return to “Boys Basketball”