Sectional Championship 2/25: (7)Waverly vs. (3)Hillsboro

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Sectional Championship 2/25: (7)Waverly vs. (3)Hillsboro

Post by smurray »

G&B,
Many of us did not even know Jake was that close to 1,000 points. Apparently only a few knew he was close. It took many Waverly fans by surprise but they did respond once they knew. If that is indeed what Hillsboro fans were applauding I too applaud them. I thought they were applauding their team during the timeout. I did not recognize they were applauding Jake.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Coach Robertson and his Tigers.......the frustration of losing close games in the regular season are in the rear view mirror now. Waverly is capable of advancing to the regional.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

who got technicals and why?

ticklethetwine
Waterboy

Post by ticklethetwine »

Sparky, it was the Carroll boy, for slamming the ball. Then his brother got thown out for some unkind words, I guess!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Not surprised at all by this result. Waverly has been snakebit all year, but now seem like it is finally coming together. At full strength, they can win this District. Good luck Tigers.*

BuckeyeFan2011
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeFan2011 »

The technicals were completely uncalled for. Granted, I'm sure the players and coaching staff were warned after the incident with a Hillsboro and Waverly player in the first half, yet ref Jenkins went too far out of the way of refereeing to make such unessisary technical fouls in a critical time of the game. Players slam the ball down all of the time and many of the times are by accident, I know the Carroll boy very well, and he is not one to say or do anything deserving of a technical. Coach Davis gets the 2nd T for saying that was a terrible call? What is basketball about these days, let the kids play for pete sake!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BuckeFan2011,
Everyone knew the potential of a quick whistle existed in this game. Coach Robertson and Waverly have had their fair share over that past couple years. Hillsboro got a huge break in the first half by not being T'd up and yes, they were warned. According to a source who would know, attitudes didn't change much and when the player in question slammed the ball down he was T'd up. There was no indication he said anything. Whatever Coach Davis said, it was enough to get the second technical. Those who remember Trevor Walls getting back to back technicals in a tournament game understand how quickly somthing like that happens. We can debate if they were warranted or not but that won't change anything. It is surprising however that Waverly wasn't on the receiving end, lol.

BuckeyeFan2011
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeFan2011 »

smurray wrote:BuckeFan2011,
Everyone knew the potential of a quick whistle existed in this game. Coach Robertson and Waverly have had their fair share over that past couple years. Hillsboro got a huge break in the first half by not being T'd up and yes, they were warned. According to a source who would know, attitudes didn't change much and when the player in question slammed the ball down he was T'd up. There was no indication he said anything. Whatever Coach Davis said, it was enough to get the second technical. Those who remember Trevor Walls getting back to back technicals in a tournament game understand how quickly somthing like that happens. We can debate if they were warranted or not but that won't change anything. It is surprising however that Waverly wasn't on the receiving end, lol.
Well said.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I too, know the Carroll kid and what a class act he is. The technical was described as slamming the ball. He was called for the personal foul took one step and took a hard two handed dribble. It was nothing more than frustration. He did not wind up and slam the ball.

3ydsnacldfdst
Waterboy

Post by 3ydsnacldfdst »

The said referee has always been terrible. I think his father used to be on the southeast district board of control. thats probably how he gets these games. Lord knows hes not getting votes for tournament games.

PHS75
SEOPS HOF

Post by PHS75 »

Congrats to the Tigers and Jake on a great game and 1000 points.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He's been doing district games at the Convo for many years.

I only saw him do one game this year and he and his crew were good.

He's always quick when he thinks someone went over the line.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

Its actually refreshing to see officials being held accountable for their actions. Normally they get to do whatever they want with no repercussions. Kudos to the reporter from the Times Gazette.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

IMO it does too much blaming.....a little too biased. His son plays for Hillsboro.

Hillsboro led the whole game......technicals allowed Waverly to tie it up and take the lead but on the very next possession Hillsboro hit a 3 pointer? Sounds like Martin being in the entire 2nd half after only playing 2 1/2 minutes of the 1st half was the main factor of Waverly winning. The article and rebuttal make it sound as if Jenkins was the main factor. ....even saying his mother-in law works in the Waverly school district? I do not believe that is true. Everyone knows how Jenkins refs....when he thinks something is across the line wrong he's lightning quick to call it and you better leave him alone for a moment or watch what you say soon thereafter....he was like that 20 years ago umpiring little league. As for being a homer many Jackson fans (which is where he graduated and lives) feel he gives the opponent the benefit of the doubt more than he sides with the home team. Chad doesn't care who wins....he calls it as he sees it. He's been around long enough and done enough big games you'd think everyone would know this.

I've been so upset with officials at so many different times but have never even considered mentioning their names. I'm surprised Waverly fans haven't bombarded the comments part of the article.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92,
As a Waverly fan it is what it is. This reporter is biased plain and simple, and has tried to taint a very hard fought Tiger win. What would happen if Waverly fans come on here complaining about this or that? What if we complain about the game against Warren, a game in which we were winning by 8 midway through the 3rd quarter, ready to blow it wide open, when Martin picks up his 4th foul. The 2nd ticky tack foul called on Martin yet our guards get mugged every trip up the floor? If we had done that we are whiners and sore losers. Did our local reporter of the NewsWatchman dare write such an article when Jenkins called two technical fouls on Trevor Walls within seconds of each other during a sectional game 3 years ago? Those technicals resulted in the young man's ejection when we felt he did nothing wrong.

This game is long over and like Ironman92 said, Hillsboro tied the game with a huge 3 so it was anyone's game, momentum is created. The difference was Martin playing the 2nd half. Does anyone remember he sat most of the 1st half when Hillsboro built the lead. Same thing against Warren, Waverly builds a lead by halftime with Martin in and they lose it in the 2nd half with him on the bench. As Purdue's coach told Buckeye fans when they beat OSU and then Buckeye fans reminded him Sunday - "Deal with it".

Im All In
Waterboy

Post by Im All In »

Ironman 92, and smurray,

I agree with what you guys are saying in terms of not wanting to take anything away from Waverly on a hard fought win. They earned it plain and simple. I do, however, think its fair game for a reporter to name an official when that official calls technical fouls that play a major role in the outcome of games, and/or result in ejections. When coaches and players make mistakes or do things that affect the outcome of games, they are talked about in the paper, on the radio, on websites such as this. For whatever reason, a lot of people have always tried to protect officials. There are just too many officials that use the technical foul as a weapon, rather than what it is intended to be which is a tool to maintain control over a game. There are certain officials who want to be the focal point of the game rather than allowing the players to be. For instance, this particular official also called an unnecessary intentional foul with 10 seconds left in a sectional game over at Waverly this year.

I know two, what I would refer to as, legendary officials that worked for years in the southeastern ohio, and they once told me that a technical should be used as a last resort. There are times when a coach/player gets so out of control that the official has no other choice. However, some officials use it just to show off their power and control over a game, and those guys should be called out.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Honestly I saw the play the official called the technical it was a 2 handed bounce and catch nothing hard and in my view the boy shouldnt have been t'd up, which resulted in the 2nd t. Would it have kept Waverly from winning the game who knows they had momentum and were rolling.
We have very bad memories of the official in question, and seems like he does every big game we are in and he usually makes it a point to hammer us so when i saw him come out i was like oh crap here we go again, well he screwed up this time but just not against us. But now its over hopefully we will meet again next yr.

larrbird33
Waterboy

Post by larrbird33 »

Coach Roberson is a great coach.

Return to “Boys Basketball”