Division IV District Player of the Year, Blevins or Cox?

Kalicat
Riding the Bench

Re: Division IV District Player of the Year, Blevins or Cox?

Post by Kalicat »

Congratulations to Conner Scott. He is well-deserving and a just a great kid. It sounds like a lot of people are very jealous of SW's success. The boys earned it and they play so hard. They do not give up. They have great attitudes. We are extremely proud of them. Go Jeeps!!! Good luck Saturday.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Congrats to Scott, played hard both ends of the court, enjoyed watching him play the last couple of yrs.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

The mysterious thing is the fact that the Coaches voted Combs 2nd team all-district and the AP voted him player of the year!

AP player of the year: Combs from Manchster
Coaches player of the year: Scott from South Webster

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

svbt1112 wrote:The mysterious thing is the fact that the Coaches voted Combs 2nd team all-district and the AP voted him player of the year!

AP player of the year: Combs from Manchster
Coaches player of the year: Scott from South Webster

I dont believe that I would have voted him SE POY but he deserved to be 1st Team All D14. But, coaches have to take care of their own and its almost impossible to get 2 players on 1st team D14!! I dont know if it has ever happened before?

I also wouldnt be totally shocked if this post didnt have a small affect on how some coaches voted for POY. Every coach has close friends who monitor this site regularly im sure. How would you feel as coach of a team with a really good player when you are reading a thread like this one??? You have to remember that people (coaches) are human beings with most of the same emotions as anybody else.

lurkingintheshadow
Waterboy

Post by lurkingintheshadow »

Swanker Pine wrote:I'll crown anyone I want to crown moose. Have you even been to a Webster game this season? The senior class is the strongest since 06, not only in basketball but in soccer and track as well. In all honesty, some of them were robbed of their first two years (two years we would all like to forget) As Freshman Scott didn't play JV. he didn't play much Varsity either. My guess is the time spent as a manager under Kreischer was a better experience than anything Reese ever employed.
A great part of Websters basketball teams is biddy ball. They get people to coach that actually know what they are doing and can improve their game at that level. They've also had really good coaches in Jr High (for the boys at least...) for the past 8 or so years.

Sorry Swanker, I have to disagree with them being the strongest class since 06. The class of 07 was pretty stout and they have yet to accomplish what that class did. Lost in the regional semi-finals at the barn to an undefeated Harvest Prep team by I believe 6 or 8 (had them down at the half), regional champs in track that season along with sending a runner or two to the state cross country meet. The senior soccer players in that class were no slouch either...

This was also the basketball team that took down a very tough Southeastern team in the district semis while they were still in D4. There is not a team in D4 right now who was as good as that southeastern team and I still wonder to this day how Webster pulled that one out. Kreischer magic I suppose...

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

lurkingintheshadow wrote:
Swanker Pine wrote:... There is not a team in D4 right now who was as good as that southeastern team and I still wonder to this day how Webster pulled that one out. Kreischer magic I suppose...
Because they played a fantastic schedule that year preparing them for the Div IV tourney. A Loss to Ironton and 2 losses to the Burg (Final 4 that year) plus the rest of the league. Also add tourney confidence, plus they peaked at just the right time.
Last edited by jeep80 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

@^^^. were going to regionals now!

Edit: we didn't lose to burg twice that season. we lost to ironton once @ itown and burg @ burg

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Swanker Pine wrote:@^^^. were going to regionals now!

Edit: we didn't lose to burg twice that season. we lost to ironton once @ itown and burg @ burg
How did we manage to play a league opponent only once?

lurkingintheshadow
Waterboy

Post by lurkingintheshadow »

No, they lost to burg twice that year. Also split with Oak Hill who played burg for the regional final (maybe semi-final) I believe. That year the districts were a little different as we still were able to put two teams to regionals (Webster and Western Latham) yet did not have the opportunity to play each other for a chance at a regional final. Western lost that year in the regional finals on a buzzer beater from Harvest Prep (I still think Southeastern was tougher). That same Southeastern team had played Dante Jackson (maybe you have heard of him?) and the rest of Greenfield McClain tough that year.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

i thought you were talking about the 05-06 team

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Swanker Pine wrote:i thought you were talking about the 05-06 team
Even the 05-06 team played Wheelersburg twice. Have to. They're a league opponent.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

i said we didn't LOSE to them twice that year (05-06)

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Swanker Pine wrote:i said we didn't LOSE to them twice that year (05-06)
That's true.

cobbtown
Freshman Team

Post by cobbtown »

Scott --boy showed why he's was selected POY. Nice player I thought he carried his team all game.

Combs--very impressive player, will be pre season favorite for next year.

Blevins--IMO needs to be more assertive

Cox--Why?????????????

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

cobbtown wrote:Cox--Why?????????????
Because he is a 1000pt scorer who took his team from mediocrity to district title contender when he came back from injury. Many people also base this on the fact that he tends to get the better of last season's POY Blevins in all of their head to head matchups.

hook em horns
Freshman Team

Post by hook em horns »

Cox cost his team a chance to win the District today with his technical foul at the 2:01 mark of the 4th quarter. Without him, Fairfield wouldn't have been in that situation obviously but others (Scott & Combs) would not have done something so regrettable. After watching Cox today, I was impressed with his athleticism but not impressed at all with his attitude and accountability which matters to me in the Player of the Year discussion.

heatfan
Waterboy

Post by heatfan »

hook em horns wrote:Cox cost his team a chance to win the District today with his technical foul at the 2:01 mark of the 4th quarter. Without him, Fairfield wouldn't have been in that situation obviously but others (Scott & Combs) would not have done something so regrettable. After watching Cox today, I was impressed with his athleticism but not impressed at all with his attitude and accountability which matters to me in the Player of the Year discussion.
You cant really say that Scott and Combs wouldnt do the same thing unless they are put in that exact situation. Bad call, a little emotion, senior year possibly ending. That could call for kids getting a little emotional and doing things they shouldn't. He didn't cost his team the game, he just made a bad decision. If fairfield would have won, everyone would say the turning point was his dunk. Sometimes you have to be willing to be the goat in order to be the king. Great year for him.

hook em horns
Freshman Team

Post by hook em horns »

heatfan wrote:He didn't cost his team the game, he just made a bad decision.
You're correct, his one technichal didn't cost the Lions the game but it was the one play of the game we remember. Btw, the play after his dunk, he didn't help on defense (in which Carson gave him an ear full) and gave up a layup to Scott after he beat his man off the dribble.

heatfan
Waterboy

Post by heatfan »

I'll agree...
Today in the first 2 games we saw 4-5 post players that are 6'3'' or bigger, and of all of them I think he played the least D. IMO in the 2nd game the Michaels boy showed how to play D for a big man. He was everywhere getting rebounds and steals while still playing against a 6'7'' kid. If Cox played with 1/2 of that intensity he could be very very good. The kid has all the skills but seems laxidasical at times. Again not knocking him, loved watching him for 4 yrs.

hook em horns
Freshman Team

Post by hook em horns »

Good post heatfan, I agree on the Michaels kid playing the best D and true post moves. Cox is fun to watch because you may see something you rarely see at the high school level but at the same time can frustrate you because he can be so much better than he shows at times.

I would think he would get some small college looks, any word on if he is being recruited?

Return to “Boys Basketball”