#1 Peebles vs. #4 Wheelersburg, 3/6 District Semi-Final

bballin
JV Team

Re: #1 Peebles vs. #4 Wheelersburg, 3/6 District Semi-Final

Post by bballin »

Chieftan wrote:First of all the better team does not always get the win...in tournament anything can happen. You can't say Peebles didn't have a plan, I'm sure that Coach Arey and the Peebles players practiced and worked just as hard as Wheelersburg in preparing for the game. All we can do is comment on what we observed which was that Peebles did not perform to the best of their ability, nor execute the plan they needed to get the W.

Doesn't mean Burg is a better team, just means they executed their game plan better than Peebles on that given night. Lets not put burg on a pedastal, they still have to play some great teams before they can bring home the state title....gee whiz!!!!

Say what you will, Peebles played horrible and Burg barely took them into OT at the buzzer and only beat them by 5 ....its not like they beat Peebles by 20pts. Gimme a break! It was a tight game the entire time with Burg playing their level best, Stegman playing the best game he's played and Peebles playing the worst they've ever played....
I believe Burgs D contributed to that game as for why Peebles looked so bad or playing there worse game ever !! The better team did win on Sunday!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Chieftan wrote:
The D wrote:
and who said ANYTHING about a state championship??? thats a looooong ways away pal...the Burg boys have a long road ahead of them, since the next, and most likely following two games after will be against teams that have previously beaten the Burg...they are just going to take it one game at a time, and whatever happens or wherever the road leads them they will give it their all and whatever happens happens

I was being facetious... :lol: state championship :lol:

At least the Burg still has a CHANCE at a state title. :mrgreen:

Realistically though, I don't see anyone left at Athens or anyone coming from the other district that can keep Chesapeake from making in to the Final 4.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Chieftan wrote:
The D wrote:
and who said ANYTHING about a state championship??? thats a looooong ways away pal...the Burg boys have a long road ahead of them, since the next, and most likely following two games after will be against teams that have previously beaten the Burg...they are just going to take it one game at a time, and whatever happens or wherever the road leads them they will give it their all and whatever happens happens

I was being facetious... :lol: state championship :lol:
annnnd what are your odds of winning again???

da burg_07
Waterboy

Post by da burg_07 »

The D wrote:sure it seems like they don't play their best when they come up against a tough opponent like the Pirates...I am not saying they didn't have a plan, nor that they are a bad team, not at all...if you recall, from the start I called this as a win for the Pirates in OT and continued to say that it would be a close game...

I am simply saying that in this case, the best team did win...missed calls going both ways nullify each other, Burg dominating the boards, and executing fundamentals perfectly...not to mention showing up to play and pulling through in the clutch is a huge factor, especially when it comes to tournament play...they were the better team...

I agree. Nobody said Peebles was horrible, just I would like to see Barrick and the boys get some of the credit. And yes looking at the schedule I believe we are easily the best team you have played all year. The SOC 2 is certainly much tougher than the SHL this year. So yes, it would make sense Peebles played worse against the Burg. We are not exactly Western Latham or St. Patrick's. I would guess Peebles had not seen that type of defense all year.

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
Say what you will, Peebles played horrible and Burg barely took them into OT at the buzzer and only beat them by 5 ....its not like they beat Peebles by 20pts. Gimme a break! It was a tight game the entire time with Burg playing their level best, Stegman playing the best game he's played and Peebles playing the worst they've ever played....

And this was a Burg team that has struggled offensively all season long, especially with the outside shooting. And yet your coach didn't force them into a lot of outside shots and limit Stegmans touches and the Burg dominted the paint.

But on that same token, the Pirates play some of the best defense in southeastern Ohio and can make a team like Peebles play horrible so that wasn't a fluke that the Indians struggled. Coach Barrick is a defensive mastermind and that's a lot of the reason he wins a lot of games every year. Look at the scores over the past few years and you will see that the Burg rarely gets above 60 points in a game and most of their games are in the 35 to 50 point range. That's playing some good defense right there. They held a 2000+ point scorer to 27 points on 10/28 shooting and an explosive Peebles offense to 58 points, even with an extra 4 minutes of playing time.

And by the way, that wasn't Stegmans best game ever or the Burgs for that matter. But when you don't a person on your team that can handle Andy he will exploit that and make you pay and he did it all night long against the Indians no matter who was guarding him.
Just a few comments from an impartial obsever:

Averaging 35-50 ppg offensively is not necessarily any indication of how well your team plays Def.
"Holding" a 2000+ pt. scorere to 27 isn't exactly "holding" him down. It's probably above his season avg. and would mean he'd get roughly 600+ pts. a season!
I had my ipod in and 99.3 did say it was the best Stegymon played all year.

Good luck to Wheelersburg and good season PHS!

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

hoopin wrote:Just a few comments from an impartial obsever:

Averaging 35-50 ppg offensively is not necessarily any indication of how well your team plays Def.
"Holding" a 2000+ pt. scorere to 27 isn't exactly "holding" him down. It's probably above his season avg. and would mean he'd get roughly 600+ pts. a season!

can you really believe everything you hear?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Chieftan wrote:First of all the better team does not always get the win...in tournament anything can happen. You can't say Peebles didn't have a plan, I'm sure that Coach Arey and the Peebles players practiced and worked just as hard as Wheelersburg in preparing for the game. All we can do is comment on what we observed which was that Peebles did not perform to the best of their ability, nor execute the plan they needed to get the W.

Doesn't mean Burg is a better team, just means they executed their game plan better than Peebles on that given night. Lets not put burg on a pedastal, they still have to play some great teams before they can bring home the state title....gee whiz!!!!

I believe that Peebles was the higher seed and let me see, weren't they also ranked in the top 10????? I believe Burg wasn't supposed to win this game at all, but like was said above, Burg just knows how to win when they get to the Convo. They have been there a bunch of times over the last 30 years and they usually have a slight advantage over teams there as a lot of there opponents have players that have never played there and it is a whole lot different then any HS gym they have played in.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

And just to prove the point at how well the Burg has played at Athens over the years this is straight from the program being sold for all the games.

Records of Southeast District teams at the Convo from 1968/69 to 2010. This doesn't include this years games.

Team........................Years............W/L.....Pct

1. Wheelersburg............22..............30-9....769%
2. Portsmouth...............25..............28-12...700%
3. Chesapeake..............19..............27-8.....771%
4. Ironton....................16...............24-5.....828%
5. Gr. McClain................19..............20-11...645%

That's the top 5.

Here's where Peebles sits.
44. Peebles.....................8..............3-8.....273%

This could be because Peebles played their District game somewhere else though before coming to Athens or it could be they just don't make it to the Districts to often.

Wheelersburg has 16 District titles and 13 runner ups.

Peebles has 2 District titles and 8 runner ups.

Tournament record since 4 divisional play began.

Wheelersburg - Sectional=31-5, District=27-7, Total=58-12, .828% All time Sectional/District record - 134-62, .684%
Peebles - Sectional=19-15, District=3-8, Total=22-23, .488% All time Sectional/District record 65-53, .551%

The Pirates have been very successful at the Convo over the years and in the tourney in general.

da burg_07
Waterboy

Post by da burg_07 »

hoopin wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

And this was a Burg team that has struggled offensively all season long, especially with the outside shooting. And yet your coach didn't force them into a lot of outside shots and limit Stegmans touches and the Burg dominted the paint.

But on that same token, the Pirates play some of the best defense in southeastern Ohio and can make a team like Peebles play horrible so that wasn't a fluke that the Indians struggled. Coach Barrick is a defensive mastermind and that's a lot of the reason he wins a lot of games every year. Look at the scores over the past few years and you will see that the Burg rarely gets above 60 points in a game and most of their games are in the 35 to 50 point range. That's playing some good defense right there. They held a 2000+ point scorer to 27 points on 10/28 shooting and an explosive Peebles offense to 58 points, even with an extra 4 minutes of playing time.

And by the way, that wasn't Stegmans best game ever or the Burgs for that matter. But when you don't a person on your team that can handle Andy he will exploit that and make you pay and he did it all night long against the Indians no matter who was guarding him.

Justice shot 10-28. Am I missing something? That's not exactly lighting it up. He scored 27, but if you shoot it 28 times you should score at least 30. Heck, maybe even 40. So come on, give our D at least some of the credit.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

i got to watch the game, both teams looked even, but i do think tradition plays a small part in it, but the biggest thing i saw was there were zero quality scioto or lawrence county teams on the regular season schedule. My point being is scioto county has proven that it has good baskeball every year, and with chesapeake, ironton and sometimes south point and fairland having quality teams as well.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

hoopin wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

I guess I worded that wrong. I meant the scores of their games are in the 35 to 50 range, so holding teams to those totals is playing good defense.

And holding a 2000+ point scorer to 27 points is holding him down when you hold him to 10/28 shooting. I saw posts where this kid was putting up 35+ on regularity and I think he had 50+ a couple of times this season. I am really curious what his % was from behind the arc. That was never mentioned. He hit 4, but I wonder how many attempts he had from out there.

And also, it's Stegman, not Stegymon. I think Stegymon was a dinosaur from the Jurassic period. lol

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Max preps -I think had Blake at 39.4% 3,s;Some where around 50% 2,s and 84 or 85 % foul line.First game he ever played as a freshman I think he scored 46 points.One game this year against Manchester he hit 13 3's.Max preps has the stats.

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

The D wrote:
hoopin wrote:Just a few comments from an impartial obsever:

can you really believe everything you hear?
No you can't but I took it as 99.3 was the station that reg. covered the Burg's games? They sure acted like they were familiar, and at times, partial towards them.

ticklethetwine
Waterboy

Post by ticklethetwine »

galaxie63 wrote:Max preps -I think had Blake at 39.4% 3,s;Some where around 50% 2,s and 84 or 85 % foul line.First game he ever played as a freshman I think he scored 46 points.One game this year against Manchester he hit 13 3's.Max preps has the stats.
I have a question galaxie 63, and I will go ahead and answer it for you. Who turns in the stats? It is the coach, or someone on the bench is assigned the task. There may be times when the stats may be bumped up or down, maybe the one keeping them, doesn't know what an attempt for a shot is, or rebounds, and maybe assist. I don't mean that is the case,but it could happen. I beleive the Peebles boys represented themself well, just wish that they could have won. There were times I questioned some of the stats that were put on here, but it doesn't really make that much difference.

hangman
Riding the Bench

Post by hangman »

Think whatever you want to think about his stats, if they were off im sure it wasn't on purpose. Don't try to down grade the kid for what he acomplished. He's a hard worker and deserves it. As for the game we were prepared coach arey knows what he is doing, we just got out huslted on the boards on both ends and couldn't make the shots that should have been easy if there are any.

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

galaxie63 wrote:Maybe so ,but;We will never know because the Danials kid was never given the chance to play much because of fouls.Arey and Daniels foul problems in the first half were the biggest difference in this game.Could have been alot different had Daniels been afforded the same luxuries as Stegman..Probably big difference had Stegmans fourth foul been called earlier as it should have been.A blow of the whistle here or there the other way and the talk would have been alot different.Your kids are class acts along with your coach and they deserve to crow.Revel in your glory now ,because ;after Your great coach Barrick calls it a day you will be back to square one.You just about lost him last year.

I couldn't agree with you more! The game is over I know that! However, Its funny that everyone seems to admit that "ONE" no travel call toward the end of regulation DID NOT decide the outcome of the game. Well answer me this. IF, the travel would have been called what would that ONE play have done for the outcome of the game. Also, the foul issue. How many fouls were called against Peebles? How many fouls were called against Burg? You can't tell me that with all the hacking and slapping going on that Peebles fouled more than twice as many times as Burg. One more thing and I'm done, We all can't help but wonder what might have been if the officials DID IN FACT let the kids play decide the outcome and not call some of the "questionable" calls BOTH WAYS! Either way, This game is in the record books!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

freethrow25 wrote:
galaxie63 wrote:Maybe so ,but;We will never know because the Danials kid was never given the chance to play much because of fouls.Arey and Daniels foul problems in the first half were the biggest difference in this game.Could have been alot different had Daniels been afforded the same luxuries as Stegman..Probably big difference had Stegmans fourth foul been called earlier as it should have been.A blow of the whistle here or there the other way and the talk would have been alot different.Your kids are class acts along with your coach and they deserve to crow.Revel in your glory now ,because ;after Your great coach Barrick calls it a day you will be back to square one.You just about lost him last year.

I couldn't agree with you more! The game is over I know that! However, Its funny that everyone seems to admit that "ONE" no travel call toward the end of regulation DID NOT decide the outcome of the game. Well answer me this. IF, the travel would have been called what would that ONE play have done for the outcome of the game. Also, the foul issue. How many fouls were called against Peebles? How many fouls were called against Burg? You can't tell me that with all the hacking and slapping going on that Peebles fouled more than twice as many times as Burg. One more thing and I'm done, We all can't help but wonder what might have been if the officials DID IN FACT let the kids play decide the outcome and not call some of the "questionable" calls BOTH WAYS! Either way, This game is in the record books!

Let me say this again so that maybe it will sink in. The reason for the foul descrepency was Peebles spent almost the entire game outside the arc shooting threes and not crashing the boards for rebounds while the Burg did just the opposite. Most of the fouls of a game will occur in the paint on drives to the basket or on rebounds and since the Burg spent most of their night in those situations they will cause the other team to pick up more fouls since you are not going to foul guys taking 3 point shots. Add that to the fact the Peebles was forced to foul to send the Burg to the line and there is your foul difference.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I wonder if this thread will still be going when the 2011 season starts in December?

Go Burg!

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

jeep80 wrote:I wonder if this thread will still be going when the 2011 season starts in December?

Go Burg!
hopefully ;-)

Return to “Boys Basketball”