D2 District Semifinal: Logan Elm 16-6 vs. Chillicothe 19-3

bman
SEO

Re: D2 District Semifinal: Logan Elm 16-6 vs. Chillicothe 19

Post by bman »

Logan Elm had a very tough night shooting the basketball. Chillicothe did a nice job with their defense. Thomas going out with an injury for a few minutes in the fourth hurt LE as he was their best player, but Chillicothe was the better team. A thing you have to like if you are a Chillicothe fan is how the Cavaliers did at the line down the stretch. That's something that almost bit them in the butt against Circleville, but the Cavaliers put the game away.

Congrats to LE on a good season, 16-7, after losing almost their entire offense last year.

Congrats to Chillicothe on the win. They're a good team and their solid lineup from top to bottom shined through against LE with Manion and Johnson having nice games with Ragland held to nine. London also had some nice buckets in the third quarter.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

I believe the only time Chillicothe trailed during the game was when it was 3-2 L.E. a couple minutes in. Still, the Braves fought hard and it was a well played game. Talent wise, the two teams were not that close but the Braves hung around and played their hearts out. When Chilli was up about 7 in the first half I just kept saying "get it to 15, get it to 10, keep pushing the lead" because I anticipated a run by L.E. based off of their defense. Much respect to that program and one of the best coaches in Ohio.

As for Chilli, I was proud of the way they handled themselves last night. The Braves came out and played the best defense on Ragland that I have seen anyone play this season. They came out very physical and could have easily gotten in the heads of the Cavs players. That is what seperates this year's team from last years. Last year there would have almost certainly been a loss of composure after the rough start and a few questionable calls by the referees. They didn't let any of that get to them though and they perservered all night. Great job at the line as well, which has never been a staple of Chilli basketball. Defensively, I think that much of L.E.'s bad shooting can be attributed to Chilli's great defense. London, Beverly, Corcoran, and Ragland all had excellent games defensively last night and Manion and Johnson are not too shaby either. Great physical team defense hounding the ball, disrupting the passing lanes, and contesting shots. Great game Cavs. Good season Braves.

Blu_n_Whyt
Freshman Team

Post by Blu_n_Whyt »

datchillicav... actually LE 6, Chilli 5 then Rags hit the 3 pointer at 8-6. Didn't trail again after that.: http://www.wbex.com/pages/CavsBoysBKB2010.html

Go Cavs!

cavsfan03
Waterboy

Post by cavsfan03 »

Great Job by the Cavs last night! Great seeing all of the Chillicothe fans and students coming out to support the team.
Zach Johnson had a great defensive effort last night. He held one of their usual top scorers to only 3 points. Per Coach K's post game interview, he said if he had a game ball to give he would have given it to him for his defense. Tyler also did a great job at the foul line to help seal the victory. The Cavs are playing great "Team" ball. They all know what they need to do and how to help each other out. Can't wait til next week! GO CAVS!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I said going into this match-up that in order for Logan Elm to get the "W" they would have to get it done offensively - 37 points isn't enough to get it done ... having the Logan Elm floor leader Jake Thomas go down in the 4th quarter after LE drew within 1 point 37-38 with 4:26 to play killed all of the Braves momentum as well as ALL of the Red & White scoring - LE didn't score the rest of the way as Chillicothe went on a 12-0 run to close it out ... Chillicothe 50 Logan Elm 37 a final ...

... this one was easy to read from the get go as in the Cavs first possession of the game they had 5 shots at the basket (4 offensive rebounds) - rebounding advantage to the Cavs ... at the defensive end for Chilli Mr. London controlled the paint from opening tip (he got that too) as well as blocking 3 shots in the first quarter while altering everything LE tried to do below the blocks - in the 3 years that I have seen London play last nights game was the FIRST he was a factor at BOTH ENDS of the floor as he scored 11 on the night and "took over the game" offensively in the 3rd with 9 points in the quarter - I have NEVER used the words "London took over the game" before until last night - the kid came to play and DID what he is expected to do every game ... Ragland as offensive minded as he IS and SHOULD BE did a great job staying patient/not getting flustered by the defense on him - patience/good shot selection AND great FT shooting 4/4 in the 4th period ... Free Throw shooting gives the edge to Chillicothe in every game they play... last night was no exception 15/18 for the game as a team ... 10/11 in the final quarter ... Logan Elm had the "great defensive team" mantra coming into last nights game to go with their anemic offense... Chillicothe's MO coming in - a line of scorers in Ragland/Johnson/London/Manion all able to put numbers on the board every night AND they have the defensive quicks/rebounding/the shot blocker/alterer in the paint to hold opponents under the magic "less than 50 point total" for a game ... last night the Cavs showed the ability to do it all while their "go to" scorer in Ragland was being shutdown for most of the game by the LE defense - no panic, ALL TEAM ... great TEAM "W" for the Cavs ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan Elm ...

Scoring ... Jake Thomas 14, Stonerock 14, Elswick 3, Pritchard 2, Riffle 2, Vagnier 2 ...

3 Pointers ... 3/17 ... Thomas 3, Elswick 1

FT's ... 6/9

TOs ... 17

... attesting to the defense of Chillicothe - 17 LE turnovers, ONLY 3/17 from behind the arc , these scoring totals Elswick 3 points, Pritchard 2, Riffle 2, Vagnier 2 > most teams have A "lockdown defender" - Cavs have 6 that can shutdown the opponents offensive attack ... LE's philosophy has it being able to hold the opposition under 50= W that only can happen IF you yourself can get to 50 on the offensive side ... still think that the 2010-11 LE campaign was Coach Stiverson's BEST yet - no offensive star, not BIG , and probably a bigger factor NO Blake for the first time in forever ... great season Braves ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe ...

Scoring ... Johnson 12, Manion 12, London 11, Ragland 9, I. Beverly 4, Cocoran 2

3 pointers ... 1/4 ... Ragland couldn't get loose for the 3 ball ... Ragland 1

FTs ... 15/18

TOs ... 18

... Chillicothe as has been expected ALL season IS the real deal ... the expectations for a deep run in the post season by the Cavs are well founded ... as pointed out earlier - great across the board man defense can shutdown more than THE main scorer , can do it to the entire opponents starting 5 , London in the paint changes the offensive attack of the opponent forcing the opposition to be great from the perimeter, as a TEAM the Cavs don't foul! called for 5 fouls in the 1st qtr last night, 3 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd and only 1 in the 4th -> they keep their opponent OFF the FT line ... while the Cavs have the personnel to get into the paint with Ragland, Beverly, Johnson, Manion,London => Cavs make their FTs advantage in the close games vs everyone ... IF you can find a weakness I look at the pressure that an opponent can put on the Cavs backcourt - 18 TOs last night ... ball handling MAY be the Cavs achilles heal , a second weakness MIGHT fall on the Cavs bench or lack of one - Cocoran was 1st off the bench with Djacic appearing hobbled and did not make an appearance ... weaknesses imo = ball handling/short bench - we'll just have to
watch from the Cheap Seats to find out ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Thanks pfloyd....imo the defensive pressure had nothing to do with the many TOs...ball handling is the biggest attribute to the TOs...but once its under control it makes the offense run good. I luv this Cavs team they have stuck to the survive and advance mantra,plus they have lots of heart....i appreciate the napkin stats,thanks....Go Cavs...!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Isn't that what pressure defense is supposed to do, turn ball handling issues into TOs?

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Naw actually Tyler tends to throw the ball away and make bad desicions.....if Warren full court presses Chillicothe,Chillicothe will be off to the races...

Return to “Boys Basketball”