Crowds at the games

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Crowds at the games

Post by 93Bulldog »

trojan dave ... (1st) Man, I havn't seen you in FOREVER!!! I hope everything is going good and maybe I will see ya at the Convo. (2nd) The biggest crowd I have seen for a high school game was the 2003 (or 2004 - I can't remember) match-up between Greenfield McClain and Vinton County ... BUT, VC had just as many fans as the Greenfield side ... throw in all the extra's, since it was the first of 5 games on Championship Saturday, and you had one filled up Convocation Center.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Bethel that year was a beast for Vinton.My brother Corey played for Mcclain that year.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Peebles always brings a huge crowd.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Team Real-Tree wrote:D-IV I would say South Webster, Green, SV, Clay
Green rocked the house tonight at Valley and I am proud to say I joined them. They played as hard as any team i have ever watched.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

The Div.III-IV schools bring the large crouds because they have more "die hard" fans that support the other teams in their leagues once their team has lost.

It isn't like the big city schools that only have support from parents, g'parents, and maybe a few students.

Even schools like the Harvest Preps only drag out a few fans that travel well.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

all-time athlete wrote:
wffan wrote:Northwest brought a huge, loud crowd to Waverly against Paint Valley. Couldn't stop watching them. Very impressive!
I was part of that crowd, great great crowd. Never realized how crazy we all were until I saw the paint valley fans with the deer in the headlights look at all of us either in utter amazement or disbelief one haha. Im not saying we will take the biggest crowd to the Convo, but I guarantee we bring some of the loudest, craziest, and most passionate fans to the place.
Is this Northwest as in the Northwest Indians (purple and gold colors)?

I watched their football playoff game vs. Bishop Ready when it was at Logan Elm. Those people are nuts!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

93Bulldog wrote:trojan dave ... (1st) Man, I havn't seen you in FOREVER!!! I hope everything is going good and maybe I will see ya at the Convo. (2nd) The biggest crowd I have seen for a high school game was the 2003 (or 2004 - I can't remember) match-up between Greenfield McClain and Vinton County ... BUT, VC had just as many fans as the Greenfield side ... throw in all the extra's, since it was the first of 5 games on Championship Saturday, and you had one filled up Convocation Center.
Was it bigger than the McClain/Logan Elm district championship in the 2004-2005 season? Our history teacher said there was around 9,000 at the game.

earp
S

Post by earp »

No LoganElmGrad its Northwest in Scioto County and their colors are red white and blue and they are the Mohawks!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

I was thinking of Lucasville Valley for some reason... wow lol

Wholly_Shnikeys
Riding the Bench

Post by Wholly_Shnikeys »

LoganElm_grad09 wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:trojan dave ... (1st) Man, I havn't seen you in FOREVER!!! I hope everything is going good and maybe I will see ya at the Convo. (2nd) The biggest crowd I have seen for a high school game was the 2003 (or 2004 - I can't remember) match-up between Greenfield McClain and Vinton County ... BUT, VC had just as many fans as the Greenfield side ... throw in all the extra's, since it was the first of 5 games on Championship Saturday, and you had one filled up Convocation Center.
Was it bigger than the McClain/Logan Elm district championship in the 2004-2005 season? Our history teacher said there was around 9,000 at the game.
i was at that game and there is no way there was 9000 there... maybe around 4 or 5 thousand... but your history teacher is just that for a reason... lol... maybe you should have asked your math teacher

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Last nights crowd at the Convo for Ohio vs Akron was 8,630 ... I am pretty sure (although the bleachers being down for college games makes a difference) - but the crowd at the VC/Greenfield game was just as large if not larger. I got their 20 minutes before tip-off and had to walk clear up to the top and sit in the lite-green seats.

BUT ... That Saturday may have been the best set of games I have ever seen for high school hoops at the Convo ... You had 10 really, really good teams with large followings filling the place up when the Vinton County/Greenfield McClain game started. (Which was the first of 5 District Championship games) ... I know a lot of fans from other teams (fans) came early so they could watch Danta Jackson, then just waited for their game to start.

The crowd was at least equal to last nights crowd at the Convo for the Bobcats game ... I mean, if anyone is was their all day probably remembers ALL the talent and ALL the great teams which were their. You had an outstanding 'local' team with Vinton County, which is not too far from Athens, taking on Greenfield and Danta Jackson ... Reedsville Eastern and Howie Cladwell had perhaps his best team ever with Cozart, Simpson, Cross and Dill ... You had South Webster and Nick Aldridge ... Cam Thoroughman, who now plays for West Virginia, was a stud freshman ... And then you had the boys from Ironton with Waginger & Gaigai ... And I believe P.J. Rase was a young PG for the Peake ... Plus Trimble, which is just right down the road form the Convo, had a large following when they took on South Webster (which was an awesome D-IV game with great individual match-ups between the two South Webster guards and Trimble's A.J. Jenkins and Bruce Fouts vs Nice Aldridge.)

All these great teams - with great players - shared the floor that day with 'one helluva bunch of fans' their to watch ... Starting with a great VC/Greenfield match-up which kicked off the action at noon.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I agree, there have been some really good players and really good teams play at the Convo in the past 10 years. It would be very interesting to see a list of the top scorers, most games played and such, but that information would be very hard to compile from all the schools. Some players seem to excel on the big stage!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

4th n Goal wrote:I agree, there have been some really good players and really good teams play at the Convo in the past 10 years. It would be very interesting to see a list of the top scorers, most games played and such, but that information would be very hard to compile from all the schools. Some players seem to excel on the big stage!
I will have to say that Dustin Pfeifer of Wash CH might be the best guard i've seen play at the convo if not the best overall.
Anderw Burleson of Wheelersburg, RJ Buechler of Eastern Brown, Dante Jackson McClain, Tyler Evans Logan Elm. Along with many other great players

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I loved watching Tyler Evans play ... The only problem was, I think he only got their once (Logan Elm got beat out by Greenfield McClain a few times I believe in the sectionals)

Also ... Watching Geno Ford play for Cambridge in the regionals was pretty sweet - He was up their with Pfeifer. P.J. Rase from Chesapake was no slouch either - He was one of the better 'little guys' to play at the Convo ... Also, Waginger from Ironton was outstanding for the Tigers and for South Webster.

thecoach
Varsity

Post by thecoach »

Peebles had a huge crowd last year at the game against Ironton

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

No doubt each team will have their share of a "cheering section" However, The Burg/Peebles contest on Sunday at 2 IMO will be the game to watch and the cheering section for both teams will be something to watch. I'm sure it'll be a sea of red and orange. Good luck to both teams but I gotta be partial to the red white and blue of PEEBLES!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

93Bulldog wrote:I loved watching Tyler Evans play ... The only problem was, I think he only got their once (Logan Elm got beat out by Greenfield McClain a few times I believe in the sectionals)

Also ... Watching Geno Ford play for Cambridge in the regionals was pretty sweet - He was up their with Pfeifer. P.J. Rase from Chesapake was no slouch either - He was one of the better 'little guys' to play at the Convo ... Also, Waginger from Ironton was outstanding for the Tigers and for South Webster.
If Evans only played there once, he put on a heck of a show. I enjoyed watching Waginger play also. Did not have the chance to see Ford play.
Pfeifer still my favorite player ive watched at the Convo

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

The year Greenfield played Chillicothe was one of the bigger games seen at the Convo...some people believe 9,000 attended that game...Humpty vs Dante,what a game it was too...Anthony Hitchens was great to watch at the Convo,he had outstanding games there...

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

Beverly Fort Frye seems to have a big following.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

chillicothe definately brought a crowd tonight. I couldn't believe what i was seeing or ( not seeing ) and that was no Logan elm students.. that is not like logan elm. was very disappointed in their student section.

Return to “Boys Basketball”