2 minutes left

58-37 trojans

bratchett fouled on rebound of missed fairland shot, missed

3 pointer for fairland

58-40 trojans

evans fouled, hits 1st, ? on 2nd

trojans have all the subs in now

hard to follow Roger now since the games in hand
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth vs. Fairland - District Final D3 - 3/12 @ 9PM

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Roger said it was 60-39 now so I missed something. Not hard to do with Roger. lol

carter shooting 2, misses first. hits 2nd

61-39 trojans

subs missed a few under the basket, ball out of bounds to trojans

fairland scores on break away

61-41 trojans

and that's the final.

Congrats to the Trojans. Now my Pirates get a crack them.

Peake
SEOP

Re: Portsmouth vs. Fairland - District Final D3 - 3/12 @ 9PM

Post by Peake »

congrats to Portsmouth and great season Fairland.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Final: Portsmouth 61 Fairland 41 - District Championship

Post by biggdowgg »

District Champions foor the 35th time....not bad.....

The salyers kid is one tough ball player.

congats to the Trojans,a complete team effort,I told ozzie on the way up Wayne Evans was due for a big game,,I think he finished with 23?, ,,Bendolph done what he has been doing since he came back,,Trey Underwood was a beast on the boards tonight,,Whitley scored some points..the entire team played very very hard tonight,,,,hats off to coach Clollins for getting EVERY kid on the bench into the game at the Convo....

doesnt get any easier Burg has been on a terror the last few weeks, so enjoy this win,and get back to work Monday!!

TrojanPride
Waterboy

Post by TrojanPride »

WoW Fairland was a 1# seed they droped the ball last night lol WeAreOne

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

TrojanPride wrote:WoW Fairland was a 1# seed they droped the ball last night lol WeAreOne
Fairland was a #1 seed in the Athens sectional that was not very good. They would have been around a 6 seed in the Jackson sectional.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojans reclaim district crown
by Cody Leist, PDT Sports Writer Portsmouth Daily Times
9 hrs ago | 323 views | 0 | | 4 | |
ATHENS – For the first time in a decade, the Portsmouth Trojans basketball team have made it to the regional tournament.

The second-seeded Trojans accomplished the feat Saturday night after defeating top-seeded Fairland 61-41 in a Division III Southeast District Championship game at Ohio University's Convocation Center. It's the 35th district title in school history for Portsmouth and first since 2001.

“I kinda felt that our kids were raring to go this week,” Trojans coach Gene Collins said. “Practice was good. Although being not able to play until Saturday, it kinda makes for a long week and the guys (around) Wednesday get antsy to play.

“...I reminded our kids that we can't take this for granted and think just because they're Portsmouth that we're going to show up and automatically win,” Collins added.

The jitters became noticeable in the first quarter as Portsmouth committed 10 turnovers in the first half. But after halftime, the Trojans turned the ball over just eight more times.

For Portsmouth senior forward Tre Underwood, there were few words to describe the game.

“It was very exciting, everybody came ready to play,” Underwood said. “We came out and got the win.”

The Trojans held the Dragons to 1-of-12 shooting from the 3-point arc, with Jonathan Holbrook converting on the only triple for Fairland with 2:15 left in the game. For senior guard Andrew Bendolph, perimeter defense was an emphasis.

“That was one of our priorities in practice,” Bendolph said. “Against Northwest, we didn't really play good defense as we usually (do). Coach told us to cover the shooters and play help side.”

Offensively, three Portsmouth players – led by junior Wayne Evans' 24 points – reached double-digits. Bendolph added 15 and Zaide Whitley contributed with 10.

“We talked about this week (getting) balance,” Collins said. “We needed to get more balance and Zaide some more looks.”

It is the 14th straight win for Portsmouth and 13th since Bendolph's return.

“Getting Andrew back was a big plus,” Underwood said. “He's our point guard, he comes in and does what he has to do.”

Even though it's a time for celebration, the fans reminded the Trojans of their next opponent, country rival Wheelersburg. The two teams will have an 8 p.m. tip Wednesday night at The Convo.

Portsmouth won the regular season meeting 64-56, the team knows regular season match-ups don't amount to much when it comes to tournament games.

“The first time that we played them, we were very, very lucky,” Collins said. “If Wayne Evans doesn't make some shots towards the end, we lose that game at home.”

The game will have extra meaning for Bendolph.

“It's a big for me since I transferred back from there,” Bendolph said. “But it's a big game, period. Portsmouth-Wheelersburg is a big game no matter who's playing in it.”

CODY LEIST can be reached at cleist@heartlandpublications.com or by phone at (740) 353-3101 ext. 242.

Portsmouth 17 17 14 13 – 61

Fairland 9 11 12 9 – 41

Portsmouth – Whitley 4 2 10, Bendolph 4 6 15, Evans 8 6 24, McKinley 2 0 6, Underwood 1 0 2, Bratchett 0 1 1, Jordan 1 0 2, Carter 1 0 2, Totals 21 16 61.

Fairland – Fisher 2 0 4, Holbrook 4 1 10, Salyers 9 2 20, Fuller 0 3 3, Campbell 1 – 2, Schenewark 1 0 2, Totals 17 6 41.

3-Pointers – 3 (Evans 2, Bendolph); Fairland 1 (Holbrook).

Records – Portsmouth 19-4; Fairland 15-8.

Read more: Portsmouth Daily Times - Trojans reclaim district crown

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

4th n Goal wrote:
TrojanPride wrote:WoW Fairland was a 1# seed they droped the ball last night lol WeAreOne
Fairland was a #1 seed in the Athens sectional that was not very good. They would have been around a 6 seed in the Jackson sectional.

Exactly, but yet the article posted by BigDowgg makes it sound like the Trojans beat a better team.
The second-seeded Trojans accomplished the feat Saturday night after defeating top-seeded Fairland 61-41
They would have been lucky to be a 5th or 6th seed at Jackson.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Man, the Dragons had their chances to stay close, but they just didn't Salyers enough touches when McKinley was in foul trouble. Lots of missed layups and TERRIBLE decisions by their guards.

Portsmouth is a fun team to watch, especially when they really want to sit down and play defense. I think if they get into the mood of playing defense on every possession, they'll come out of the region.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

only the guy that wrote the article made it seem like they were the better team,,I think Coach Collins Comment pretty much said he KNEW we was better, but we could not just show up and get the win.

“...I reminded our kids that we can't take this for granted and think just because they're Portsmouth that we're going to show up and automatically win,” Collins added.
I honestly think it would have been much easier win,had Dion Mckinley had not got into foul trouble and sit almost half the game

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:

Exactly, but yet the article posted by BigDowgg makes it sound like the Trojans beat a better team.
The second-seeded Trojans accomplished the feat Saturday night after defeating top-seeded Fairland 61-41
They would have been lucky to be a 5th or 6th seed at Jackson.
Who cares who the favorite was? The facts are this: Fairland was the #1 seed and Portsmouth was the #2 seed. Where are your facts to say any different? You saying Fairland would have been a 5th or 6th seed in Jackson is your opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

Just worry about the facts 77...Portsmouth is a #2 seed and Fairland was a #1 seed. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

Prove me wrong with facts, please do it. lololololololol

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

#1 seed Chesapeake beat #1 see Fairland by 41 points twice. I think that's probably enough to show you how weak that section is.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Who cares who the favorite was? The facts are this: Fairland was the #1 seed and Portsmouth was the #2 seed. Where are your facts to say any different? You saying Fairland would have been a 5th or 6th seed in Jackson is your opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

Just worry about the facts 77...Portsmouth is a #2 seed and Fairland was a #1 seed. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

Prove me wrong with facts, please do it. lololololololol
Okay, lets take a look at the facts.

Here's the Athens Sectional.

Fairland #1, (12-6)
Meigs #2, (9-10)
Southeastern #3, (9-9)
Wellston #4 (10-8)
River Valley #5 (8-10)
Albany Alexander #6 (7-10)
Nelsonville York #7 (5_13)
Belpre #8 (6-12)
Zane Trace #9 (4-15)
Federal Hocking #10 (5-14)
Crooksville #11 (5-14)

Here's the Jackson sectional.

Chesapeake #1 (16-1)
Portsmouth #2 (14-4)
Ironton #3 (12-6)
Wheelersburg #4 (14-5)
Lucasville Valley #5 (9-9)
Oak Hill #6 (13-5)
South Point #7 (10-9)
Minford #8 (7-12)
Rock Hill #9 (7-11)
Portsmouth West #10 (4-14)
Coal Grove #11 (2-15)

Fact is, Fairland was the #1 seed in the Athens sectional solely because other than Wellston at 10-8 they were the only team with a winning record. And I really can't believe that Wellston was given the #4 under two teams with losing records.

Now let's look at the Jackson sectional. No way Fairland gets a top 4 seed over the ones listed above so that puts them no better that a #5 and even though Fairland beat Oak Hill I would have to put the Oaks above them in the seeding so that moves them to #6.

So there are the FACTS and I stand behind my statement of Fairland being no better than a #5 or #6 seed at the Jackson sectional and maybe even a #7 since you have to factor Valley in there somehwere because they did beat Oak Hill rather handily both times they played.

Return to “Boys Basketball”