CHESAPEAKE VS. PIKETON (DISTRICT FINAL, 03/12, 7:00)

pantherdad
JV Team

Re: CHESAPEAKE VS. PIKETON (DISTRICT FINAL, 03/12, 7:00)

Post by pantherdad »

I don't think a few posters out here that are maybe a little over exhuberant in their support of the 'Peake represent an overall lack of humility for Panther fans. We understand that at tournament time, a lot of things can happen. Shooters go cold, others get hot. The ball can bounce funny ways sometimes. Overconfidence can lead to sloppy play.

I believe, based on what I've seen of Piketon, that Chesapeake should be a 20+ point favorite. However, if Chesapeake doesn't show up to play, Piketon can no doubt beat them. Piketon has a lot of quickness, is aggressive on defense, very good shooters and has some size in the middle. I just think the Panthers have the edge on the floor at each position. That being said, I will be nervous on the way up to Athens on Saturday.

I am a little surprised to learn that Fairland beat the Streaks by 20+? Guys, Fairland is a good team...but they were never in either game with the Panthers. Not even close...I think both games the Dragons were down by 25 or more by halftime. This one has me scratching my head. If THAT Piketon team shows up on Saturday, then that could be a bad scene.

Regardless, I can't wait until Basketball :30 on Saturday!

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

peake wins and piketon season is over unfortunately.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Ebay huh?

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

peake wrote:Relax guys, most of the people making silly predictions are students.

Chesapeake respects Piketon and knows they are very good program.

This will be a good game and I think people are just playing off one another right now. The more Piketon fans get fired up the more certain people start the Peake will win by 50.

All it takes is a kid being sick, or one to get in foul trouble, and things can turn real quick.

Tobias,

What's wrong, big bad SEOAL cheering for someone else? Don't want to face Chesapeake, cheer for the lower seed? Sounds like something a team in the best conference would do.

You want to be the best you better beat the best. See you in two weeks.

wow.. thats all i can say. the big boys from the seoal would love to play the greatest team in ohio that hasn't won a state championship in how long?

Softball_skids
Freshman Team

Post by Softball_skids »

Hmmmm..This fairland team that you talk of is a mystery to me...pretty sure Piketon only lost two games this year one to D2 Zanesville and D2 Vinton Co, after an OT game for the SVC title..maybe fairland played the JV team?

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

pantherdad, I believe someone just compared a Alexander/Fairland game to the Alexander/Piketon game

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Out of Bounds wrote:NDC SOCCER gets it. Those of you that are huge Piketon fans of all people should see what he and myself are trying to say. Piketon has had the luxury of being very talented during the tenure of Mr. Lisath. But....he has never been one to make many game time, side line changes. This isn't just coming from me, this comes from players, past and present. I watch them play and it is frustrating to watch them continue to push the ball up the floor late in the game when you have an 8 point or more lead. Plus why would you press a team to speed them up? Most teams go to a full court man yes. Why? To turn the player once or twice to burn clock. SLOW HIM DOWN! Not Piketon, lets zone press and trap and if they beat us, they get a lay up! Let's not come down and run clock, let's call TWO, run Legg off an elbow ball screen, if so he can drive, or pull up or if they help in, he can kick out. It's a nice play, but Legg shot the ball the last three times down the floor under 3 minutes in the first 15 seconds of the possession WITH THE LEAD! Sorry guy's Lisath doesn't have to empress me. I just call it like have seen it since he's been there. And during that time, any coach around would have loved to have had the talent he has had on the floor!

Wow...sounds more like sour grapes to me...either you or your boy sat the bench under him :-D ...talent???? so I take it these talented boys went on to play college basketball...I'm sorry...but the most talented Piketon teams never made it out of the District and Lisath didn't coach them...Sounds like you should take your complaints to the BOE and submit your Resume' :lol:

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

NDC Soccer wrote:pantherdad, I believe someone just compared a Alexander/Fairland game to the Alexander/Piketon game
Oops. Sorry! I see that now. Should be a heck of a day of basketball!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

was Ironton in the SEOAL when they went?...."serious question,I dont remember"

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

pantherdad wrote:I believe, based on what I've seen of Piketon, that Chesapeake should be a 20+ point favorite. However, if Chesapeake doesn't show up to play, Piketon can no doubt beat them.
Is there a such thing as Chesapeake not showing up to play?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

bigdawg---no

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

so was this.... :P

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/88789932.html

Chesapeake Advances to Ohio Final Four

ATHENS, Ohio (WSAZ) – They've been playing basketball at Chesapeake High School since 1922, but they've never made it all the way to the state tournament - until now.

The Panthers knocked off Ironton and earned their first ever trip to the Ohio Final Four.
ADVERTISEMENT

They've made six appearances in the regional finals but never made it this far.

Judie Kuhner has been a Panthers fan for a big chunk of the basketball program’s 88 year history.

"I'm 69 years old and my dad taught at Chesapeake,” she said. “He took me to the ball games when I was a little girl.”

She’s continued to support the team over the years, but each season has ended with disappointment.

"We had lots of good seasons, but we always came to the (regional) tournament, and we always lost,” she said.

The Panthers whisked away the drought Saturday night, beating Ironton 63-47 at the Convocation Center in Athens. They won the regional title and earned that long awaited birth to the state tournament.

"It is so exciting cause we've never done it before,” Kuhner said. “The fans are great, and we love the boys."

Around midnight Saturday, a large portion of the town's population of about a thousand people welcomed the team home and thanked them for the big win.

"The town is so happy, they've come together,” Principal Joe Rase said. “This is what they've been wanting for a long time. We're just so proud of our kids."

"The Chesapeake community is a basketball community,” Head Coach Ryan Davis said. “We're just thrilled to give them that opportunity to go to the state tournament."

The players say they're delighted to be the group to finally deliver the dream for their hometown.

"It's pretty special, they've waited a long time,” junior Nathan Copley said. “We've had a bunch of people donate a bunch of time to this program. I'm glad we could do something for them."

Chesapeake will play Lima Central Catholic at 10:45 Thursday morning in Columbus.

The principal says school will be dismissed that day so students can make it to the game

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Good for you 21 years ago. You have become the Notre Dame of SEO high school basketball. Welcome back to the party.

1990's Regionals-1991 (finals), 1993 (finals), 1997, 1998 (finals)
2000's Regionals-2001, 2003, 2004 (finals), 2005, 2006, 2010 (champs)

We are the ultimate hype machine Tobias, if it we play one another, we have helped to build this thing up lol.
Last edited by Peake on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef likes this banter and nothing like "stirring" the pot. Just like we know up here in the Village along the beautiful and overflowing Scioto River and just like the Chesapeake folk know down along the scenic bloated Ohio River the menu for Columbus is filled with challenges. Piketon in 2009 and Chesapeake in 2010. Both know this party is just getting started. Regardless of how this game goes, this will be a full 5-course meal with all the trimmings.
Go Streaks!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:
Out of Bounds wrote:NDC SOCCER gets it. Those of you that are huge Piketon fans of all people should see what he and myself are trying to say. Piketon has had the luxury of being very talented during the tenure of Mr. Lisath. But....he has never been one to make many game time, side line changes. This isn't just coming from me, this comes from players, past and present. I watch them play and it is frustrating to watch them continue to push the ball up the floor late in the game when you have an 8 point or more lead. Plus why would you press a team to speed them up? Most teams go to a full court man yes. Why? To turn the player once or twice to burn clock. SLOW HIM DOWN! Not Piketon, lets zone press and trap and if they beat us, they get a lay up! Let's not come down and run clock, let's call TWO, run Legg off an elbow ball screen, if so he can drive, or pull up or if they help in, he can kick out. It's a nice play, but Legg shot the ball the last three times down the floor under 3 minutes in the first 15 seconds of the possession WITH THE LEAD! Sorry guy's Lisath doesn't have to empress me. I just call it like have seen it since he's been there. And during that time, any coach around would have loved to have had the talent he has had on the floor!

So you are saying they haven't had any talent?

Wow...sounds more like sour grapes to me...either you or your boy sat the bench under him :-D ...talent???? so I take it these talented boys went on to play college basketball...I'm sorry...but the most talented Piketon teams never made it out of the District and Lisath didn't coach them...Sounds like you should take your complaints to the BOE and submit your Resume' :lol:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

peake wrote:Good for you 21 years ago. You have become the Notre Dame of SEO high school basketball. Welcome back to the party.

1990's Regionals-1991 (finals), 1993 (finals), 1997, 1998 (finals)
2000's Regionals-2000, 2002, 2003 (finals), 2004, 2005, 2010 (champs)

We are the ultimate hype machine Tobias, if it we play one another, we have helped to build this thing up lol.
You forgot 2001 and 2006.

Just My Opinion
Riding the Bench

Post by Just My Opinion »

peake and tobias, will you two kiss and make up and please get back to the topic of this thread. lol...

earp
S

Post by earp »

I live in the here and now and Chesapeake is miles ahead of anyone in this district that is just a fact you will see!They are focused and hungry and when you pair that with the kind of talent they have it is scary!Only ping in the armor may be their depth the deeper they get in the tourney but with Hintz stepping up and scoring 19 the other day looks like things may be getting better on that front as well!Also I am curious what does Portsmouth have to do in any way with this game other than Lisath played there?

larrbird33
Waterboy

Post by larrbird33 »

Evan will get us through.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

california, Yeah my bad take out 2000 and insert 2001 and I forgot 06 :oops:

Tobias and I are just messing around, we have done this all year. All in good fun.

Return to “Boys Basketball”