Fed Hock Boys Coaching Job Open?

John Wooden
JV Team

Re: Fed Hock Boys Coaching Job Open?

Post by John Wooden »

Has Federal Hocking hired a coach yet? Is it true Caldwell turned the job down?

Maximus the Merciful
Waterboy

Post by Maximus the Merciful »

Look for Howie to go to Nelsonville. They are loaded and they have an English teaching position open.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Headed to Federal Hocking

fedhocker
Riding the Bench

Post by fedhocker »

Todays Athens Messenger sums this one up. Huge news for the Federal Hocking School District. This should shake up the race for the TVC Hocking next year. The lancers have a lot of untapped talent and should make some noise.

Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

Dont count us out yet. Heard a booster say they were gonna call him.

renob
Freshman Team

Post by renob »

WOW... good luck Coach Caldwell

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Big move by FH to hire one of the best Basketball coaches in Southeast Ohio. Go Lancers!

renob
Freshman Team

Post by renob »

Not totally surprised that he left eastern. If you look back at his coaching career,, he tends to leave when he knows the talent level is down. At least that is what it seems.

Maximus the Merciful
Waterboy

Post by Maximus the Merciful »

disagree totally...he is a great coach who spent many years at Southern before moving on to Eastern. He had many successful seasons with limited talent both at Southern and Eastern. Coaches tend to step on toes the longer they stay at a place. Jim Osborne of Gallia Academy told me once that you make 5 enemies every year you coach at a school. Good luck to Howie.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I'm not sure how down Eastern is going to be but I do know how strong that D3 in this district is. I would think he would have a better shot of going somewhere with a down D4 team as opposed to trying to beat teams like Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Ironton, Peebles, Wheelersburg and Piketon just to name a few.

bistro
Waterboy

Post by bistro »

lol
Last edited by bistro on Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

I agree with bistro and renob

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

Very good coach who gets the most out of his players. Fed Hock will be a lot better, they will have to play defense with Coach Caldwell. Coach Caldwell had some teams with a lot of talent at Southern 1988 and Eastern 2001 and 2005. gahs-4ever you would have to be native to think the talent wasn't down when he left Southern and that the talent isn't down at Eastern this year. Coach Caldwell has been successful at Southern and Eastern when the talent was down. Last year not too many people picked Eastern to win the league and they only lost two league games. So he does get the most out of his players but to make a tournament run it takes both talented players and good coaching. I can't blame him for not wanting to stick around and rebuild a team at this stage of his career but I can't see him making a tournament run at Fed Hock with the district they have to come out of without they are going to be division four in the future.

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

I wish him all the best. FH will be much better fundamentally (if the kids and parents are willing to tolerate his coaching style). I think the biggest problem going into tournament play will be they're still a d3 school competing in a d4 conference. They'll need to improve the non-conference schedule quite a bit. Historically, coach has tried to schedule his teams up and I'd expect him to continue the practice but I'd like to see them move to the Ohio side of the TVC. I think they'll get more competition night in night out over there.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

They can't even win the league in the hocking

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

KingJames wrote:They can't even win the league in the hocking
Federal Hocking has won 15 TVC Hocking Championsips, with 5 championsips won in the last 9 years. :?

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Ok?

Boston Creampuff
Riding the Bench

Post by Boston Creampuff »

Saw a vehicle resembling his in the parking lot at NYHS over the weekend. are you guys sure he is coaching there next year?

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

As long as the parents and kids buy into the discipline

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Wait a minute! I have always been told Howie doesn't care about winning the league. Only tourny runs. :lol: One thing on this thread that is true is that Howie left Southern when the talent was gone, and has done the same at Eastern. He must think there is a lot of talent at FH for him to take that job. Of course if rumors are accurate he could be seeing all that talent going to waste at NY. :oops:

Return to “Boys Basketball”